Search Unity

Assets [WIP][Sept 16th] Terrafirma - An Auxiliary Terrain Engine Replacement and Extraction Toolset

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Murpenstien, Dec 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

With a dynamic mesh like terrafirma the amount of triangles/vertices are view dependent and generated dynamic. You will not be able to store vertex colors in the base mesh. There will be a splatmap based solution for texturing.

Lennart

blitzvb likes this.
  2. blitzvb

blitzvb

I see. It’s not a biggie, I can go splatmap.

3. CRYWOLF86

CRYWOLF86

@LennartJohansen. I have a few questions about Terrafirma based on some of the early stuff I have seen.

1) Is a voxel feature still in the works? I saw some voxel work in an early demo, before it was moved over to Awesome Technologies. Assuming no voxels, will we be able to punch holes through the terrain (including collision), or have overhangs?

2) Will we be able to rotate terrain? A strange question I know, but it might be something I need, and its not something Unity's terrain can currently do. I have my work around, but I'm not sure if I will be able to take advantage of terrafirma with it.

Vegetation studio is fantastic btw! I'm glad to see you're involved with this project!

4. gecko

gecko

I know you've been keeping plenty busy with Vegetation Studio...but any progress on TerraFirma?

5. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. we will soon have some news :) Terrain shadows was a bit more work than we thought initially. but we have a solution now that keeps drawcalls down. Raymarching a distance field and injecting the resulting shadows into the shadow buffer of the lights.

Lennart

jdraper3, blitzvb, HXCMAN and 8 others like this.
  6. derkoi

derkoi

Looks cool, watching

7. twobob

twobob

also waiting

8. JLO

JLO

Hi @LennartJohansen with mesh terrain support coming soon to Vegetation Studio, I have been thinking about using voxel based terrains. I'm curious do you still have intentions of keeping the voxel feature in Terrafirma as shown in the earlier demos of this tool? I'm on the fence of whether I should wait for Terrafirma if voxels are supported or if I should just go ahead and purchase Voxeland. I would prefer to use Terrafirma as I assume there would be easier intregration between it and vegetation studio. Thanks :)

9. gecko

gecko

magique and one_one like this.
  10. laurencew

laurencew

11. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hello! any news on this? I just ran across it today and it seems really interesting for an upcoming project.

12. neosca

neosca

Wow. After going through each comment on this thread and watching year(s) passing on, I think this will never make it to release. This asset is dead. Got me real hyped up and then threw back on the ground.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi, I've decided to lock this thread as it was announced it'd be under a new home in the original post. Thanks for understanding and best of luck with the new home.

The scores of broken links, and lack of attention in the thread would undermine any marketing value the thread has, so if it will be continued with @LennartJohansen then please do make a new WIP thread for it and I will update this one to point to it :)

Thanks all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.