Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] SE Screen Space Shadows

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by sonicether, Nov 19, 2016.

1. bgolus

bgolus

You won't see CTAA on the store because Livenda was banned from the forums and is no longer allowed to post new assets to the store. CTAA looks quite nice in their demo videos, but they show off best case scenarios. The "haunted mansion" demo was easily downloadable for a while and it was trivial to break in the same way most temporal AA techniques are. I didn't see a significant advantage for Livenda's CTAA over Unity's own (granted still imperfect) TAA implementation in the Cinematic Effects package.

I certainly welcome any other TAA competitors since there seems to be a lot of very similar implementations of TAA out there, mostly re-implementations of Epic's UE4 paper, which ironically they supposedly have changed significantly since then. Most TAA techniques tend to just ignore recently unoccluded pixels, or rely completely on super sampling to hide it (like UE4 still does). It would be wonderful to see something like Jorge Jimenez's Filmic SMAA implemented in Unity which I've seen a handful of those working on other AAA games' TAA implementations as being the "winner".

2. sonicether

sonicether

Good news, this effect works with OpenGL in my tests, so there shouldn't be any problems for platforms that support OpenGL (I believe version 3.0 and above for what I'm utilizing). It will not work with OpenGL ES, however, so it won't work for WebGL and mobile.

Unfortunately this would require heavy shader modification and probably wouldn't perform too well.

pcg and RB_lashman like this.
  3. sonicether

sonicether

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that I've submitted this to the Asset Store and created the official thread for it: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-se-screen-space-shadows.444974/

Oh, and an update on OpenGL support, I ran into some issues with the inverted depth buffer and some inconsistencies. I'm going to investigate further. It might not be compatible with OpenGL day-one, but I'll get it all sorted out and update it soon.

4. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

I see the Asset Store is taking their time with this one...

RB_lashman likes this.
  5. RB_lashman

RB_lashman

yeah, that's really weird ... it's been like 10 days now

6. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Any updates on this ?

buttmatrix and RB_lashman like this.
  7. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

I hope it didn't got turned down or something. I can't wait to make use of this asset right away.

RB_lashman likes this.
  8. hopeful

hopeful

It's the holidays. I'm sure a lot of the Unity staff are not in the office.

RB_lashman likes this.
  9. sonicether

sonicether

Hey guys, the asset was declined due to a bug that happens on a Mac that I wasn't aware of. They also asked me to provide a demo scene. I've already finished putting together one.

I'm going to do my best to get my hands on a Mac as soon as possible so I can fix this bug and resubmit the asset.

I'm so sorry for the long wait. I'll let you guys know when I've resubmitted the asset.

RB_lashman likes this.
  10. IronDuke

IronDuke

*insert random Windows master race joke here*

I hope you figure it out! This asset gets me excited, and not many things can actually do that. Actually, all your stuff has been doing that.:oops:

--IronDuke

RB_lashman and sonicether like this.
  11. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

If you need help testing, I've got a 2015 Retina Macbook Pro here with me on vacation(it's my game dev time).

RB_lashman likes this.
  12. sonicether

sonicether

13. jjxtra

jjxtra

Does it work with VR single pass and single pass instanced?

RB_lashman likes this.