Search Unity

Games [WIP] SDF raymarching tool - Shaping clouds

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by b1gry4n, Sep 26, 2020.

1. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

I originally created this tool because I wanted the ability to shape raymarched clouds. I was inspired by Sky:Children of Light. Most raymarch solutions you find, the clouds are on a plane in the sky or surrounding the camera and all based off a noise texture with no ability to shape and form the clouds. Today the tool got to a point where I was actually able to have a resemblance of clouds. Theres still more work that can be done with the clouds themselves to make them look better (lighting, transparency, etc). The raymarch itself can be hooked up to amplify shader editor with a custom node allowing for quick edits

You directly use the inspector to create new shapes by typing the shader code for that shape : https://iquilezles.org/www/articles/distfunctions/distfunctions.htm

It compiles the shader code from the code youve typed in the inspector per object. This means you could have similar shapes with slight variance (3 spheres with different noise for example).

Gruguir, florianveltman and Jum like this.
  2. Nhox_Leo

Nhox_Leo

Hi b1gry4n, can you provide me with the assets and code you use, or the tutorial on how to make that effect? Thank you very much

3. florianveltman

florianveltman

Looks great @b1gry4n! I was investigating the Sky: Children of Light tech today as well when I came across your post, and hope to build towards something similar. I have yet to take the raymarching plunge altogether, but it's encouraging to see this.

4. BecaBaek

BecaBaek

Hi, this is really powerful! Can I know how you make it? Do you have some assets or unity files? I want to learn from them! Thank you!

5. ttesjt

ttesjt

This is amazing. I love it. This is a game changer if you would publish it. I have been frustrated with cloud system for my game and I bought almost every single cloud system on asset store. None of them fit. Yours is just brilliant. If yours is on the asset store. I believe it will go viral.

6. khos

khos

Cool work, would you consider sharing this?

7. warthos3399

warthos3399

Great work, but not sure this is the correct forum to be posting it in...