Search Unity

[WIP] Sci-Fi Project- Various Shots

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ony, Aug 3, 2015.

1. virror

virror

Looks great, to bad about no rpg mode, thats what i looked forward to the most : p

2. Ony

Ony

Yup, same here. We were really wanting to do it, but every time we started making some progress towards it, people would kind of ignore it and instead ask about more sex animations and things like that. We'd had a goal on Patreon that was set up so when we reached it, we'd start in earnest on the RPG mode, but we never got close to that goal. If I write up that post-mortem I think I'll go into more detail on how working through Patreon affected development in that way.

We are tentatively working on a new game, very early in planning, that is being designed from the ground up to include RPG-like elements. Things aren't fully set in stone yet as far as development timeline so I'm hesitant to say much more than that.

3. Martin_H

Martin_H

The voice samples make this a little too unsettling for me I think. Musically I like "andSo" the most.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions! I need to take a closer look on the weekend. Gearslutz or reddit are the stronger candidates as I try to stay away from facebook.

I don't know what 80's synth pop is, is that comparable to outrun/synthwave/futuresynth/retrowave somehow? I sometimes listen to Perturbator or Scattle, but I'm not sure I could actually make music like that.
    BTW, not sure if that is interesting to you or if you've maybe even seen it already:
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/son...so-different-todays-i-show-you-why-video.html
    I'm bookmarking this one to watch later, looks useful.

Do you know the band Arditi? I'm thinking of trying something along those lines (meaning orchestral elements, military drums and waaay too much reverb) but more SciFi-themed instead of WW2-themed.

What I'm struggling with most is structure, both in my process and for the actual track. I usually feel like I neither know where to start nor where I'm going with something. And rarely do tracks get "finished". These kinds of things I'm hoping to find some pointers on in forums.

Sounds like a nerve-wracking thing to deal with all the time :-/. Have you considered something like Kickstarter instead? Or doesn't that work with adult themed games? Will your next one be in that realm too or will you try making something for steam again? Iirc you mentioned some racing game once?!

4. Ony

Ony

Glad you like some of it. As far as the "unsettling" feeling from the rest of it, that's probably the thing I like to hear most about it. :)
    Instead of me trying to describe what I mean about my "synth pop" style, here's a link to my synth pop songs so you can see what I mean.

I'd like to hear some of your music if you feel like sharing.
    That's great, thanks!
    I don't know that band but I've been putting more sci-fi into my own stuff lately as well. I'd love to hear what you come up with.
    Finishing tracks is something a lot of people have trouble with, for sure. When I used to get stuck with structure inspiration I would just listen to a song I really like (in the genre I was doing) and really pay attention to its structure and timing, then basically riff on that. The result was typically very different from the inspiration track, but it did work well to figure out structure.
    The thing with Kickstarter is, yup, they don't allow adult games. It's also sometimes a massive task in and of itself to run a kickstarter campaign. All of our previous games we did as self funded, creating the game and then releasing it. FLSM was the first game we tried with crowd sourcing.

We were indeed trying to do a racing game, and it's something I've wanted to do forever now, but alas it's still not in the cards. Not yet, at least. ;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Martin_H likes this.
  5. Martin_H

Martin_H

Thanks, I'll check it out and DM you some of my stuff. Don't wanna clutter up your thread!

Ony likes this.