Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Games [WIP] RPG PARTY

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Spiderwork, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update 07/14/2018

See a fresh video of the battle mode here:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently, I'm working on RPG PARTY, a game for up to 4 players for the Nintendo Switch.

Monsters kidnapped the princess and the player who saves her first wins the game. You play turn by turn and discover with your hero partys the dungeon. However, if you're fighting against monsters, one of the other players is taking control of them (cause everybody wants to save the princess before the other heroes, they help the monsters)! :)

How do you like it?

Please follow us if you like it:

Spiderwork Games
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/spiderworkgames
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/SpiderworkGames
    Homepage: https://www.spiderwork-games.com

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

UI looks exceptional. Nice work.
    Although I'm a strong proponent for adding extra animation detail to a game - I wonder if some of the extra animation content added here will be frustrating to the player?
    I think most people who play these kind of games like swift actions to happen after they have provided input to the onscreen characters.
    I wonder - are you planning to do A/B testing on this? If so would be really interested in the results.
    It might not be initially frustrating to a player who has played for 1-3 hours, but I wonder if retention drops over time as a result of the players not enjoying a faster progression in the battles.
    To me - the added animation detail for the characters hit reactions, and facial emotes look really nice, but the extra back and forth walking to the player and attacking and walking back - might be too much.

Aesthetically overall very nice.

Spiderwork likes this.
  3. chris_sarama

chris_sarama

Looks good mate. I could see myself sitting around with friends playing a game like this.

Spiderwork likes this.
  4. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Thanks! Maybe I will insert an option to turn the running animations off! ;)
    What is A/B testing?

5. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Cool, thank you! :)

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

A/B testing simply is testing two versions of the same 'thing' to see which one is enjoyed more.
    Example - one build with extra animations and one without extra animations.

Spiderwork likes this.
  7. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Thanks for the info. This sounds to be a good plan! ;)

8. prduquesne

prduquesne

This game looks really smooth, looking forward to it!

Spiderwork likes this.
  9. MetroSimHustle

MetroSimHustle

Love the battle mode!

Spiderwork likes this.
  10. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Thank you very much!

11. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Thanks!^^

12. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Here you see the intro when a new round starts and the heroes meet Ruby, the moderator of the game!
    Still there have to be changed some things, but I'm happy that the text system works! ;)

astracat111 likes this.
  13. astracat111

astracat111

The only thing I could honestly say is that you could speed up dramatically the walking back and forth, so that it's more like a DASH forward then attack for non-projectile attacks.

Your artists/artist is/are great.

I'd love to hear about how the programmer went about programming the battle system. I just finished my first draft of mine and I'm sure they did a hell of a lot better job than I did, because I get the impression you all have a lot of experience.

Spiderwork likes this.
  14. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Thanks for the feedback!
    Do you have a specific question about the programming? I used MANY arrays for it managing the values of all the characters! ;)

15. astracat111

astracat111

Some about the UI. I ended up creating about 7 scripts, a main state machine, a script that held all the methods, etc... I had to create a window class with open and close transitions that were custom with like a timer. I realized that I could have used Unity's animator as well. You probably use the animator for everything, right? For me I think this is why my stuff doesn't come out as AAA looking. D: !

I definitely have questions as far as UI is concerned, mainly who do you have working on the graphics? I read on your website that it's a two man team? You guys definitely seem experienced enough to do this, because it takes so much trial and error before you can get into a rhythm with getting lighting, color theory and also color value down. Your graphics dude is amazing.

Spiderwork likes this.
  16. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

The menu graphics like boxes I do myself but I'm also use icons from the asset store. For the backgrounds graphics or the characters of course there are several peoples working on it.

I'm developing games now many years and learned all by myself so I guess the best advise is try, try, look at tutorials, ask in forums, try, try, try! ;)

To be honest, I never used the animator (I work with Unity now about a half year and still don't know all advantages about it)- I'm animating it with own scripts like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. void Update () {
    4.         if (Globale.G_GesprachAktiv == true)
    5.         {
    7.             if (myRect.anchoredPosition.y < myY[myPos])
    8.             {
    10.                 myRect.anchoredPosition = new Vector2(myRect.anchoredPosition.x, myRect.anchoredPosition.y + 2000 * Time.deltaTime);
    12.    if (myRect.anchoredPosition.y >= myY[myPos])
    13.                 {
    14.                     myRect.anchoredPosition = new Vector2(myRect.anchoredPosition.x, myY[myPos]);
    15.                     CameraTextbox.SetActive(true);
    16.                 }
    18.             }
    19.         }
    21.         else
    22.         {
    23.             if (myRect.anchoredPosition.y > myY[myPos]-1000)
    24.             {
    25.                 if(CameraTextbox.activeSelf == true)CameraTextbox.SetActive(false);
    27.                 myRect.anchoredPosition = new Vector2(myRect.anchoredPosition.x, myRect.anchoredPosition.y - 2000 * Time.deltaTime);
    29.            if (myRect.anchoredPosition.y <= myY[myPos]-1000) { myRect.anchoredPosition = new Vector2(myRect.anchoredPosition.x, myY[myPos]-1000); }
    30.             }
    32.         }
    34.     }

astracat111 likes this.
  17. astracat111

astracat111

Nice, that's the way to do it, that way you feel you're more in control as a coder. : o !

I think another thing than just try and reiterate that I've also learned is to not work alone lol

For a battle system I've been using a big *ss state machine, like a script for the front end of it and a script for the back end that has all the methods. It seems like you're the type (just a guess) that likes to use tons of small scripts, right? It looks like the above code would be attached to the ui object.

Spiderwork likes this.
  18. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Yes, I'm now using "tons" of small scripts which are attached to the objects! ;)

19. simonlvschal

simonlvschal

its really cool. i like the art, and the overall feels of dialogue is nice. it has this good feeling when i see the dialogue

Spiderwork likes this.
  20. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Thank you very much! :rolleyes:

21. astracat111

astracat111

One suggestion with the dialogue possibly. Maybe make the text bigger? I always thought bigger text makes things seem clearer and simpler.

P.S - Oh wait nevermind the Ruby demon girl says this loud thing that takes up most of the text box, I see what you did there.

Spiderwork likes this.
  22. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

So do you mean the text should be always so big when she was loud?

23. astracat111

astracat111

Nah, I had this idea that the text should just be bigger in general. If you look at recent Mario games as an example they have pretty big text.

I think it works though, since you emphasize Ruby shouting using the bigger text.

Spiderwork likes this.
  24. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

I see!^^

25. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Here you see a small video with a nice detail: If a fight is going on in the front of the shop, the owner will hide himself!
    From time to time he will check if the battle is still going on...

What do you think about such small details?

Starpaq2 and msamociuk88 like this.
  26. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Just got a question:

RPG PARTY is laying its focus clearly on the (local) multiplayer part like the Mario Party series.

However, what would be next important to you? What are your wishes?

Online-Multiplayer? A strong one player story mode? Adjustable characters?

27. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

I don't know why every time I see the RPG "Party" as "Parity". Maybe I'm not native English speaker. Haha.
    Anyway it's indeed a very amazingly beautiful game. Stunning UI and great BGM. I like the chibi art style.;)

Spiderwork likes this.
  28. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Haha! Thanks for your feedback!^^

I just got another question:

RPG PARTY is laying its focus clearly on the (local) multiplayer part like the Mario Party series.

29. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@Spiderwork
    I will wish to have a full story driven single player mode. Meanwhile others players also can join in for cooperation to defeat monsters. I'm not sure about the detail of the game yet hence now I could only give this suggestion. Are heroes level reset once starting a new game?

Spiderwork likes this.
  30. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

Thanks for your choise! Yes, in the multiplayer mode the heroes levels will start at one again when you begin a new round.

31. Spiderwork

Spiderwork

What are the others thinking about it?