Search Unity

Games [WIP] Robok - Using 3D Animations to create 2D spritesheets for my game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TanukiDev, Jul 1, 2019.

1. TanukiDev

TanukiDev

Hi Everyone!

I am curently working on a 2D adventure platformer I called ROBOK (temporary name).
    It's still at an early stage. Ideally my goal is to release a demo of the first level in October.

Last week I mostly focus on creating the animations for my character.
    I tried to reproduce the same technique they used for Ori and the Blind Forest. (Don't expect my animations skills matching the incredible James Benson skills tho x°)

So I created a 3D model and animated it in 3D space before rendering every frames to create the spritesheets. The workflow will probably need some adjustement, but I am quite happy with the smooth result I get.

The advantage of this technique is that if I have to make some change to the design of my character or the animations, I don't have to redraw every frames.
    Here is a devlog I made to show my process :

Later I'll probably make some test with deformers to get some more cartoony and dynamic effects.

If some of you have some knowledge with this type of techniques, I would be very curious to heard about your experience !

2. owlhowell

owlhowell

Super cool! as a 3d guy I've always wondered how to do this!

3. TanukiDev

TanukiDev

owlhowell> I am glad you like it !

Last week I processed all my spritesheets to put them in unity and setup the state machine for my main character.
    I used Nuke to make the workflow smooth. I guess with a lot a patience you can do it manually, but I didn't wanted to experience this kind of pain :D

Here is an exemple of spritesheet I sliced in Unity, it is render to be animated at 30FPS, so it's a lot of sprites ^^", I tried to keep the sprite sized by power of 2 as well as the texture, but it left me with a lot of unused space. It is something I'd like to revisite later when I will have more knowledge and experience with the Engine..

After setupping the state machine, I ended up with those result :

Generic movements :

Crouching :

Death :

I am quite happy with this, I'll have to do additionnal animations for differents ingame situations, but for now I will focus on coding the game ^^
    Here is my devlog showing this process :

Starpaq2 and owlhowell like this.
  4. TanukiDev

TanukiDev

Hi everyone!

I have been busy working on a second character for my game ! His name is Govo and he is a woodpecker!

Here is a bit of context :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAME PITCH :

Machines and technology took over. You are a disfonctionnal repair robot thrown to trash. On your journey, you'll will encounter wildlife to rescue from industrialisation and find ways to restore nature and biodiversity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EARLY CONCEPT :

When I started looking for a secondary character, I knew that it would be a bird and that he possess some special abilities that will help our robot in his quest. So the first step was to gather some visual references of woodpeckers.

GOVO'S CONCEPT ART :

Once I found a design I liked after a couple of hours doodling, I spent a bit of time to polish some concept design. I like doing this, because it build an attachement with the character I create, as I make sure they have their own personality.

Then I created a couple of sprites to implements his first pass behaviors in Unity

Here is a video with the full process and the theory I applied, let me know what you think !

Cheers

owlhowell likes this.