Search Unity

3D [RELEASED] Winter Forest Environment

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Fer00m, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hi @gecko!

I'm not sure how VSP accesses shader properties with regards to snow control, but if it uses PropertyToID https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Shader.PropertyToID.html I think it would only be a matter of changing the property name in Standard Snow shaders to the one VPS uses.
    I will dig through the code and let you know as soon as I can!

gecko likes this.
  2. Migueljb

Migueljb

If I wanted to use all the vegetation for a summer scene is that possible or are some trees bushes etc only have that dead winter no leaves look?

3. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey @Migueljb
    There are no leaves decidous tree models, so if you wanted to use them in a summer scene only pines and spruces would have green appearance.

4. ECNUnity

ECNUnity

this looks like an awesome pack! just wondering if these have been tested on Mobile VR headsets (eg Oculus Quest)?

5. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hi @ECNUnity
    I took a look at the specs of Oculus Quest and it doesn't differ much from other mobile devices such as smartphones, so the pack is not targeted towards this, I'm afraid.

6. friuns3

friuns3

Hi. is demo scene included that shown on video? how big terrain there is? and how much fps you have + what your pc specs

7. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hi @friuns3
    Yes, the demo scene is included. It is not very large, as its only purpose is just to showcase the assets. Here I marked very roughly the detailed area of the terrain:

Demo scene runs at around 60 FPS with all settings at max with the exception of shadow cascades, which were lowered from 4 to 2, however shadow draw distance was increased from Unity max default 200 units to 500 units.
    This was on old GTX970 and i7 4790k, so current gen GPUs should handle it even better.

friuns3 likes this.
  8. skinwalker

skinwalker

Hello,

How can I change the snow color of the architectures? I want to tint it a little bit to the blue area, I tried from the shader Snow Color, but didn't do anything

9. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hi @skinwalker
    Snow Color parameter works only when there is no Snow Texture assigned in the material, so you will need to remove it. Alternatively, if you have Amplify Shader Editor, you can edit the functionality of the shader, just use Add node to sum Snow Color and Snow Texture parameters.

10. cwxxc3

cwxxc3

How do you edit the tree meshes? I see there's asset files but not fbx or obj file for the trees.

Would it be possible to add this scene and post processing to the asset? It looks really really nice

11. Fer00m

Fer00m

@cwxxc3
    Apologies for delayed reply.
    FBX files are not included in the package. Send an email to support address with your invoice number and I can send them in a zip file. Keep in mind however, that any edit you want to make must be in accordance to setup required by CTI and you also need to own CTI yourself.

12. cwxxc3

cwxxc3

okay thank you will do that. Is it possible to include that scene/post processing in the asset that you showed in the screenshot? Reminds me of escape from tarkov

13. Fer00m

Fer00m

@cwxxc3
    It is a fantastic game! Unfortunately I do not have that scene anymore, it was only a quick mock-up made in 5 minutes. I think the post processing setting was the one of the profiles included with the package.

14. Propagant

Propagant

Hello, amazing package, looks stunning, but I have a question. Is there any support for Deffered rendering path? I just recently bought the package and found it a little 'brighter' in Deffered rendering. In Forward it looks as its promised, but deffered is pretty different. Thanks in advance.

15. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hi @Propagant
    Glad you like the pack!
    Yes, it supports deferred rendering path, in fact, the video and screenshots were made on deferred and linear color space.
    Have you had the chance to check out the read me PDF yet? There are some additional steps required for deferred path, and also few points about post processing which was used in the package's media.
    If you need any support let me know here or at support@triforge.eu!

Propagant likes this.
  16. Propagant

Propagant

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm sorry for late respond but I figured it out somehow:) Wonderful work and thanks again for support. Keep it up!

17. Joey_99

Joey_99

Are you going to create other enviroments of similar quality? Like an Autumn forest, tropical jungle, swamp or farmland?

Cus this is pretty high-quality pack.

one_one likes this.
  18. skinwalker

skinwalker

Or a desert there are so few assets to make a desert biome

19. sixtysixclown

sixtysixclown

Hello! I was thinking of purchasing this package in the future. Is there any premade scene included on it? It's stunningly beautiful, by the way. My favorite so far.

20. Fer00m

Fer00m

@Joey_99, @skinwalker I think something like a swampy forest is quite likely, but no plans at the moment for it as I have other things in the works right now. Desert and jungle environments is something I'd very much love to make, but since for environments I rely quite a lot for photogrammetry I would need an easier access to such environments in real life.

@sixtysixclown
    I'm very glad you like it! Yes, the scene showcased on the screenshots and the video is included in sunny and overcast lighting variants, along with post-processing profiles.

sixtysixclown and SickaGames1 like this.
  21. John1515

John1515

Hi

I imported it on HDRP but it doesn't look as good as in the examples, the foliage seems to bright and too orange-ish.
    From the attached iamge, can you perhaps see what could be wrong?
    I must say that I'm using HDRP 7.3.1 and that I got a message about a legacy sky system. So under Render Settings in the demo scene, I changed the visual environment to physically based sky. I also tried other settings here, but the foliage still looks different.
    I also checked that the 2 diffusion profiles were set, and they are..

Any tips? :) I mean it already looks amazing, but your demo looks even better :)

Attached Files:

22. Fer00m

Fer00m

@JelmerV
    I'm afraid you got the wrong thread, as you are asking about a similar competing asset.

one_one likes this.
  23. gecko

gecko

Hi,
    I'd like to use the StandardSnowTwoSided shader on some game objects, but I want the snow amount to be controlled by Vegetation Studio Pro, just like the snow on trees is. That doesn't seem to happen automatically...is it possible to enable or add that somehow?

thanks!

24. TheGuitarMester

TheGuitarMester

What a brillhant asset!

Maybe someday when I have more experienced with Unity and make projects with real realism I could buy this asset, but for now i can just praise your work!

25. Sailendu

Sailendu

Wow, looks really cool. I saw the video in the asset store page and all the trees are animated. So this is even more cool. Great asset. I will in near future.

26. Fer00m

Fer00m

@gecko
    I couldn't really figure out how VSP does that. With me being just a 3D artist scripting is a bit out of my area of expertise, unfortunately.

@TheGuitarMester @Sailendu
    Thank you, glad you like it! :)

27. gecko

gecko

I actually wanted integration with Enviro (since VSP relies on Enviro for snow in my game), and Vondox was kind enough to make a script for me. You might ask him for it and include it in your package.

28. Noob_Vulcan

Noob_Vulcan

Hey, Any chances it will get URP support? I really liked this asset and would purchase it if it supports URP.

Rallix and MK1_Dev like this.
  29. AerionXI

AerionXI

@Fer00m : Hi, for some reason I am getting this right after importing from package manager. I bought it via the Humble Bundle 2 days ago :

winter-forest-issue 2.png

30. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey @AerionXI
    I'm not exactly sure why this would happen, but it's nothing to worry about. The terrain in this scene is just a flat plane, so you can delete the terrain game object and create a new one if you want.

Sorry for the delayed reply, but for some reason I did not get a notification that you posted in the thread.

31. AerionXI

AerionXI

Hi @Fer00m : Is this the only issue that I'm having as you see in the pic above? Does your Asset work for the regular Render pipeline, or do I have to start a new project with HDRP? ALSO, for some reason I can't move the camera at all either with W/A/S/D, the arrow keys OR the mouse. Thanks for answer me. Have a GREAT afternoon!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  32. Fer00m

Fer00m

@AerionXI
    For the time being the pack is only for built-in rendering pipeline.
    As for the camera, you mean the one in game view? You need some sort of camera/character controller added to your scene, either programmed by you, or the example one from Unity's Standard Assets package.

33. AerionXI

AerionXI

@Fer00m : Ok, I thought it came with a character / camera controller already.

34. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Just got the asset. Good stuff.

Couple things I'm working out:

-My FPS is struggling. Can't even play demos. What do you suggest to hit more mid range hardware like mine? So far I'm ditching the hero meshes with some success.

-Where do I edit wind sway. It's WAYYYYYY too high. I see I can turn it off, but not where to adjust it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  35. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hey @Not_Sure!

Out of curiosity, what are your specs? I was developing the pack on GTX970 and i7 4790k and didn't have any performance issues even when I pushed shadow distance rendering much further.

1. Saying that, I noticed that demo scene performs much worse in editor on Forward rendering path. Is switching to Deferred rendering a possibility for you? If you do switch to Deferred, keep in mind that some extra setup will be required, as mentioned in the readme.

You can also switch out initial LOD bark materials to ones without any tessellation (eg. from birch_1_bark_tessellation to birch_1_bark, just setting tessellation values to 0 won't be enough), as it can be extremely taxing on performance.

Additionally you can tweak how soon billboard LOD will appear for each tree prefab or change project LOD bias. I'd first recommend the former, as you can tweak each tree individually to your liking.

Lastly, perhaps switching shadows to two cascades could also net you some more FPS.

2. Demo scene wind can be controlled by Wind game object under Game Logic in the scene's hierarchy.

Not_Sure likes this.
  36. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I did do the readme.

I'm not doing terrible after tweaking the settings and tessellation, thanks.

I'm currently sitting at 150 fps, which is pretty good.

37. aganm

aganm

This asset looks absolutely incredible, triple A quality stuff right there!

Is there any chance you will add support for URP in the future?

38. Fer00m

Fer00m

@aganm Thanks! Yes, I am currently looking into upgrading to URP and HDRP as well as first part of overhauling some of the pack's content.

39. cursedtoast

cursedtoast

Awesome, is this just in the beginning stages then?
    Very interested in using this, but at least URP support is a must at this time.

40. Fer00m

Fer00m

@cursedtoast Yes, the work is in the early stage as I have decided to move from CTI to my own custom materials, so I can have total freedom in technical and creative aspects. The shaders are work in progress and I will have to port all the vegetation models to that new set of shaders so it may take some time.

cursedtoast likes this.
  41. cursedtoast

cursedtoast

Best of luck on the process! I'll keep an eye out :)

42. FarhezAhmed

FarhezAhmed

Pretty heavy scene for a GTX 750ti.

43. one_one

one_one

Are you also considering support for Vegetation Engine then? If I understand correctly, there should be 'automatic' support already when using CTI, so that would probably no longer be the case when moving to custom materials.

44. AerionXI

AerionXI

Hi, @Fer00m does this work if I select "3D" for my project? or does it HAVE to be HDRP?

45. one_one

one_one

So far this package only supports the built-in renderer so it actually will only work for 3D and not HDRP.

46. AerionXI

AerionXI

Thank you for that, @one_one ! :) @Fer00m : One more quick question. Why when importing your asset into a completely new "3D" project ( NOT HDRP ), am I not seeing the EXACT same thing you show in your demo videos? Where's the terrain? Why can't I move around in the scene?

47. AerionXI

AerionXI

Someone can help?

48. Fer00m

Fer00m

@AerionXI
    You asked the same exact things not too long ago, and got answers to all of it:

Also, if you take a look in the Scenes folder, there are multiple scenes not just this one. The ones from videos which you are probably looking for, are called DemoWorld.

one_one likes this.
  49. Fer00m

Fer00m

Hi @one_one!
    I'm not familiar with that asset (although I think I bought it some time ago), so I can't say for now. I will certainly look into it when I'm closer to finalizing the update.

one_one likes this.
  50. Just451

Just451

Awesome pack!
    How's the progress on the HDRP/URP support?