Search Unity

Assets [RELEASED] PuzzleSystem -- any ideas?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by romatallinn, Jan 21, 2019.

1. romatallinn

romatallinn

The project went open-source! You can find it available on Github!

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on my first Unity Asset. It is a system that allows you to create common, but yet customisable, puzzles for your projects.

So far, the asset includes:

• Editor Utility -- create systems quickly with an easy-to-use tool; select wanted components, press "Create" and get a working puzzle.
    • A few different types of puzzle logic:
      • In Order -- you have a few different triggers, you must activate them in a specific order.
      • Simultaneous -- keep all triggers activated simultaneously.
      • Simultaneous Delayed -- keep all triggers activated simultaneously (as you activate the triggers, they will reset automatically after some delay).
    • A various types of triggers:
      • Default -- for activation from within your own custom code
      • Collider based triggers:
        • On Trigger Enter/-Exit
        • On Key Up/-Down
        • On Mouse Click
        • On Trigger Stay (combination of Enter/Exit) *
        • On Key Hold *
        • On Mouse Hold *
    * - Variation of the delayed activation included (wait/hold for n seconds in order to activate the trigger).
    • Extra Assets
      • Components for "mirror" puzzles, where you need to lead the beam through the mirrors by rotating them (e.g., LineRenderer Beam incl. its reflection functionality).
      • TimerForSolving -- solve the given puzzle within a specified period of time.
    The assets are easy to extend/inherit from, for creating more complex and thoughtful puzzle logics.

You can combine different types of triggers and logics together for more diverse experience.

So, I was wondering if somebody has any ideas what other puzzle logics are commonly met in the games that I can add? Or maybe you have any ideas on what else to implement in such an asset?

I really need your help in order to create a quality asset!

You can read more about it in the DOCUMENTATION. It is much more full than what I have described here.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    JohnLabern likes this.
  2. JohnLabern

JohnLabern

As someone who is in the making of a puzzle game for several months now, I applaud your initiative and I'm sure it will be pretty helpful to people wanting to get into the making of this beautiful genre.

I only have one tip for now and that is not abusing ontriggerstay/oncollisionstay: their performance is horrible (I normally try to get the same results with enter/exit) and in the very few cases in which it is unavoidable for me to use them, I call them just the enough frames to register if something is staying and then inmediately deactivate them. (They also generated a lot of Garbage Collection, at least in my experiments).

Good luck!

romatallinn likes this.
  3. romatallinn

romatallinn

@JohnLabern thanks for your kind words! Good luck with your game! Do you have any puzzle logics that would be useful to include into the package?

That is exactly what my current implementation does. :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. romatallinn

romatallinn

So, I decided not to sell the asset, but rather make it open-source. Feel free to check it out on Github!

Tbh, I just don't have time and willingness to promote it. So grab it if you need! ;(

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  5. romatallinn

romatallinn