Search Unity

Games WIP Punch-A-Bunch

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ArcaneLight, Nov 18, 2018.

1. ArcaneLight

ArcaneLight

icon.png

PROGRESS

Thought I'd reach out for some feedback on my little project. This is an android two-player game for top-down boxing matches. The core mechanics are all that I have accomplished thus far, later I want to add different configurations for your boxer (special effects, increased health or damage, etc) and maybe even a single player AI to practice against.

SCREENSHOTS

screenshot1_small.png

screenshot2_small.png

FEEDBACK

Right now all I'm looking for feedback on is the fundamental mechanics of the game.

One area of particular concern is the window of opportunity for a player to block after their opponent has begun a punch. Currently that window is one-tenth of a second, otherwise you will be to late to counter their blow. I want it to be difficult to successfully pull off a block and have it be something that requires real attention to accomplish. I'm wondering though if it isn't too difficult right now, which may encourage mindless button mashing, which is certainly not what I want to condone.

Another consideration is whether having three main actions (block, attack, charge) provides a good balance. My idea with having three main areas is that your two thumbs will have to leave one section uncovered at all times. This should result in hand movements that telegraph actions to the opponent.

Aside from these, any other constructive criticism is very welcome.

LINK
    My game can be found at the Google Play Store here:
    There is a known graphics error when performing a special punch. There are no doubt other unknown errors as well. Please let me know if you encounter any defects.

Thank you for your time, I hope you'll be able to find some fun in this little game!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    JohnLabern likes this.
  2. ArcaneLight

ArcaneLight

UPDATE:

New version released that implements different fighter configurations. Players can choose between four different punching arms, four boxing arms, and four heads. Each has their own unique appearance and special effect during a match.

I am now shifting to adding an AI fighter that will allow for a singleplayer mode to the game.

JohnLabern likes this.
  3. ArcaneLight

ArcaneLight

I should have been updating this more regularly. I do not yet have a new build out, but I have been steadily plugging away at the AI. I created a basic system that first determines what sort of actions are possible (basic punch, special block, charge, etc), then I determine the priority for each possible action by referring to a set of states that get updated each game loop cycle (is the opponent punch, am I at less than 20% health). Special algorithms are used for the different special punch and block types.

Currently I have implemented a complete AI for basic punches, basic blocks, charging, and special punches. I even added the ability for the AI to make occasional mistakes and pauses, so that it will feel more organic. I've added the ability for different difficulty levels, and will need to play with those numbers to get the feel of it just right. I also need to add the logic for performing the different types of Special Blocking.

Once I get that last step done I'll create a mode where players can face off against an AI in a training format. Then I might consider adding different "styles" of AI and also consider creating some sort of single player campaign mode. I'll keep you posted with the progress!

4. ArcaneLight

ArcaneLight

Well I got the AI version out. It's pretty feature-complete now, though horribly unbalanced, buggy, and needing a lot of UI improvements/fixes.

Still, nice to be down to the tweaking phase, which I'm now churning through at a pretty good clip. Already the balancing is looking a lot better. In my unpublished version doing a Charge now is a viable option and the AI difficulty levels actually make sense. I'll finish up this balancing, though I'm sure I'll make little tweaks here and there afterwards, and then I'll move on to a Campaign mode.