Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Projectile Physics/Bullet Physics

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by MrIntel, Mar 22, 2016.

?

Are you interested?

1. Yes

2. Maybe needs some work

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MrIntel

MrIntel

Currently i am working on a asset for my project that simulates projectile physics in 3D space more specifically bullet physics. I decided to post this as i may later release this to the asset store if i get a big enough response.

Current Features:
    • Bullet Drop
    • Change Caliber size or projectile mass/size
    • Air Drag
    • Projectiles hit terminal velocity
    • Ability to work with high velocities and small masses
    • Terminal Ballistics
    • Ability to add Force to objects depending on velocity
    The biggest thing in the asset is the terminal ballistics or what happens to a bullet after it hits an object this includes:
    • Deflection
    • Penetration
    Here are some pictures of the current state:

The above picture shows a full auto weqapon weapon firing 9mm rounds at 400m/s into an 5 blocks of wood all an inch (roughly) Red line: Velocity > 75% of Muzzle Velocity - Yelllow line: Velocity > 50% of Muzzle Velocity - Green line: Velocity > 25% of Muzzle Velocity

The above is a .50 cal shooting through

and finally a 3 burst of a 12 gauge shotgun Cyan line: Velocity < 25% of Muzzle Velocity

Some physics

9mm 375m/s shooting a rigidbody with a mass of 0.25

Martin_H likes this.
  2. Mycroft

Mycroft

I voted 'Maybe'

Not because your project isn't interesting (and cool) but because even though I have a game with a lot of shooting, your project is very specific to accurate simulation of shooting which is a pretty niche area.

I do think Deflection&Penetration are interesting additions that could be applied to my project but not convinced.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Martin_H likes this.
  3. MrIntel

MrIntel

Thanks for the input but the "accurate simulation" is dependent on your inputs , so lets say your making an fps in space or somewhere other than earth you can change the important variables like gravity and air density. There is also differences from my asset to a ray-cast or a projectile using a rigid-body, a ray-cast shoots immediately and stops after a hit, my system will move depending on the velocity and continue moving if it can penetrate a object and continue moving at a slower velocity but like you said its not for everybody it depends on what you want to to.