Search Unity

[WIP]Project-IV Public - 3DS-Max texture export problems (Scripts: OFIO/GIMS IV).

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by xboxxxxd, Aug 31, 2016.

1. xboxxxxd

xboxxxxd

[NOTE: Grand Theft Auto IV Model's, Texture's, Etc are exported from OpenIV v2.8, with a license]
    Grand Theft Auto IV, But in Unity3D v5.0.x!..
    (Anyone who wants to help Develop this Public Game, feel free to ask!)

Well, I have a Export Performance problem, in Developing my game,
    Whenever i Import everything into 3DS Max Studio, it is all fine, nothing is wrong, Easy as a lemon,
    But to Export it, i Must Export the Texture files Split into mesh/fbx and .dds (GTA-IV Exported texture format).
    And not because i want it, it just can't add the Texture's with the fbx i make.

And this is really stupid because some Exports are massive and do have Split up Objects from 5 up to 150..
    this cause's my brain to get hurt, but to be real, it's annoying to put about 700.000.000 dds files all on it's own into the right mesh and/or object.

If there is any way to improve this, or simply 'if' there is a better tool, script, windows application, or whatever it function deserves it's operation at, tell me.
    Help is always welcome, just don't be a d**k oright?, thx :)

Greetings.xboxxxxd

PS: Picture's included of what the problem really is, to explain it visually.

Attached Files:

2. Rombie

Rombie

Hmm.
    Why not make your own models rather than stealing another's property? You know you cannot release a game with content which you don't own right?

3. xboxxxxd

xboxxxxd

Well, it's exported from OpenIV as .odr, also it's license'd by OpenIV at the moment you Export it, so why should this be stealing if everybody can use it?..

EDIT: Yes, i know i can't steal it, otherwise i would not do this in the first place at all.

4. Rombie

Rombie

You use a program to export models taken from a rockstar game?
    OpenIV is an exporting/Mod tool for gta5, right?

So if you export models from GTA; you do not own them and you are not granted a license to use them in a game.

5. xboxxxxd

xboxxxxd

The tool is for exporting gta iv, gta v, and some other games models under a license, otherwise it was already banned a long time ago.

like i said: i know i can't steal it, otherwise i would not do this in the first place at all.

EDIT: Just was thinking about it, and Rockstar Games does not even support gta iv anymore, so that even dub't the Freedom of these Models from the game, Social Club also stopped supporting it.

6. Rombie

Rombie

I'm pretty sure rockstar would protect their IP if someone came along; ripped a bunch of models out, and tried to release a game with their content. Just because they don't support a game anymore; doesn't mean they wouldn't protect their IP.

Is the game you are making a game with Unity? Or are you making a Mod with the assets for an already established GTA game?

Can you post a link to the license you are referring to?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  7. xboxxxxd

xboxxxxd

Triggered, lol,
    Anyways..

i assume the Protect IP was an example, if not, tell me more about it, i somehow never heard of that specific for Rockstar games before..
    Also the Game i am making is Mainly used to be with Unity, Not a Mod,
    and to be more specific and to explain more in my plans about this:
    Wanna get the full GTA IV map into Unity, Just the map, not props or something, simply only the Terrain/Buildings that are Pure Solid, Further the map i want to expand it and resize it to a more realistic time game play, further it will be a different HUD, Menu, And Additional Stuff Based on GTA SA, Probably with some expiremental changes to it, and A Landscaping world like the game "The Crew" has.

Link to License?, Here's alot of information to look trough about this License:

This is the License information i am talking about, that OpenIV use's and Add's to the Export of OpenFormats License:
    Open Definition Conformant Licenses
    Just the Additional information to point out is 2.1.2 Redistribution
    Saying:

2.1.2 Redistribution

The license must allow redistribution of the licensed work, including sale, whether on its own or as part of a collection made from works from different sources.

Other information and links:
    OpenIV Official Website OpenIV
    OpenIV Official Documents & Info Doc's
    GTAModding Wiki about OpenIV GTAModding Wiki

EDIT: This is a Free Public Project, No Money or whatever for paid service included to it.

8. Rombie

Rombie

Rockstar IP = Rockstars Intellectual property.

Even if it's a fan game with no money; what you just described isn't allowed and you are still ripping game assets from rockstar. At any point they can step In and slap you with a cease and desist order. A mod might of been okay; since it uses their game and you can't commerically release. But ripping models from the game to put within unity to build your own game/map is not allowed.

Those links have nothing to do with openiv license use for GTA models

9. xboxxxxd

xboxxxxd

1. Thanks for letting me know.
    2. it's allowed thanks to the fact OpenIV has it's own License Compatible with that of Rockstar Games.
    3. The first 2 links are litterly the point why OpenIV would exist, or Rockstar Games would have banished this tool along time ago.
    4. as It's License'd, i can do what i want with the Models Exept certain Lines at Open Definition.

10. Rombie

Rombie

I'll just say this.

If I where you; I would read more into it. Obviously you don't know how licenses work; or intellectual property. Games which use ripped content owned by major studios; even small studios get slammed with cease and desist orders. Since they do not own the content. Just because you use a mod tool to extract models; it doesn't give you a license to use those models any way you please. That's just childish thinking.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  11. xboxxxxd

xboxxxxd

Well, you should say this to anybody who's using these Models from gta iv,
    Including these people (lucky you there closed it because there out of interest): GTA-SA Project Liberty
    These people also exported it with OpenIV, so why would i not have the right to export it and they do?..

Even if you call this a Mod, it is, but still that with 100's of other project's would be iligal and that doesnt make sense..

And OpenIV Add's the License from Open Definition (Open Format's) Whenever you export it, So Whatever you say, it doesnt change anything at all, it is still License'd, but by another License.

And to end this off, i won't change anything of my project and/or change the progress out of it, or Rockstar Games MUST complain about it, what would problably end up like Microsoft's Complaining about MS-DOS kernel's 0x07 sector in the early 90's.. Microsoft lost in that case, and kept on working with the kernel.

EDIT: Is there just a way to massive export 3DS Max Models to Unity3D without weeks of work by only patching texture's manually!?..