Search Unity

[WIP] Project Forsaken: Polygonal Infinite Open World Sandbox

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Grimbyte, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Grimbyte

Grimbyte

Hi, I've started working on a game about a couple weeks ago, and decided to share it with the community. I don't have much to showcase, most of my work has been devoted to coding the 'backbone' of my game within these couple of weeks, so bear with me!

This is a hobby project for me, and I hope you guys will enjoy this as much as I do. :)

So, what is my game?

My game is a blend of my favorite genres. I love sandbox, and open world games where I can endlessly explore. I love being able to create anything I want. I love RPGs, and I love strategy games. So I incorporate all these different aspects into one game. I've drawn inspiration from games like Stonehearth, Minecraft, and many different RPGs. My art-style is inspired by 'low poly/polygonal' artwork. The game has a fantasy setting.

The player will be in control of 'villagers', and it'll be the player's responsibility to ensure the survival of these 'villagers' from threats such as weather, food shortages, foreign invasions, plague, etc. The player will be tasked with forming a small striving outpost/village to a thriving civilization.

On your journey you will see the progression of each of your people, in aspects such as how well their attributes are (strength, dexterity, endurance, etc.), and what skills they know and how well they are with them (fishing, dual sword fighting, alchemy, etc.).

Here are just a few features I will be implementing in this game:

• 'Infinite' procedurally generated terrain (biomes, natural resources, wildlife)
    • Dynamic and living world (dynamic weather events, seasons, day/night cycle)
    • Design your own buildings (building editor, each resource affects the attributes of your building)
    • Design your own units*
    • Design your own vehicles (design and create ships, siege weapons, airships)
    • Deep progression system (villagers will learn skills in real-time)
    • RPG mechanics (stats, combat, etc.)
    • Real-time progression (villagers could be doing a task while you leave, and 2 hours later they'll be done when you come back)
    • Multiplayer (Host your own server and play with other people in the same world, creating alliances with them or raze their cities)
    These are just a few features that will end up in the game by the time it's released. The descriptions are vague at the moment.

*When designing units, the player will be able to create prerequisites for a villager to become that unit. This includes picking the armor and weapon(s) the unit will have, and the required skills/attributes the villager will need. When you assign a villager to become the unit, the armor and weapon(s) will be exhausted and given to the villager, and the villager will have to go through training in order to reach the required skill level and attributes. The amount of time training is depended on the skills/attributes needed.

But here are a few screenshots of the terrain right now. There's still quite a bit of work to do still.

Procedural generated forest with ponds

Procedural generated forest, with lake. Autumn.

So, if you have any questions at all, please do ask them! :) I will be happy to hear any feedback and answer any questions you may have! :)

I will be posting updates on this thread quite frequently. :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. bml

bml

This looks great! Any updates?

3. Grimbyte

Grimbyte

Unfortunately, no. I've placed this project on hold a while back, and will return to it in the near future. I've been devoting my free time to learn and study more C# and other concepts. Sadly, I don't have too much free time though, I'm just in highschool, and have a part-time job now.

But thank you for your interest! :) I will resume the project sometime in the near future though.