Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Platformer Pro

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JohnnyA, Jan 19, 2014.

1. abatcat

abatcat

Is there a wall jumping behaviour where the character bounces away from the wall sort of like Ori does? I couldn't find it in the samples you provided.

2. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Quick questions, 1.) Do I need to have a rigidbody attached to the hurtbox? 2.) Does the hurt box need to be a separate object attached to the Character, or could I perhaps have a collider on say the Character sprite, and attach the hurtbox script to it? I ask because I have a collider generation plugin I want to use to get the most accurate collision on my sprites (basically allows the collider to be the exact shape of the sprite). It dynamically changes the shape and size according to the spritesheet animation. So I would like to use this so when I have projectiles hit the character, they will actually appear to be hitting the sprite and not just a box or circle.

3. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

1. You should have one, ay collider that moves should have a rigidbody. There is quite a large deferred performance hit if you move colliders that don't have a rigidbody. This is well documented elsewhere.
    2. No, it can be on the sprite.
    3. You should be able to use this (although I can't guarantee it given I don't know it works).

Do note that typically hurtboxes are smaller than the player and reasonably static for playability reasons (if a missile brushes past the characters arm and they die because they happen to be on frame 9 which has the arm slightly higher than frame 8 or 10, it is frustrating and very hard to predict for the player).

4. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Ah ok, I didn't even know about the performance issue thanks for the heads up. Yeah I actually wanted to do collision that way to make the game more difficult as I personally love super hard games, even/especially when it's that frustrating level of difficulty. However you have a point though, once I get it set up temporarily I'll see if it is to the point where it is no longer even playable. For me that could be different than some other people though, I enjoy Skyrim most at the "master" difficulty for example, where low level dungeon fodder has a chance of critical hitting you. :)

5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

In some games having hitboxes change with animation frames is workable, but I think being pixel perfect might be pushing it too far. Maybe a separate set of animations, based of the main animations but removing the very extreme pixels could be used like a mask from which colliders could be generated. This way you can get very accurate and challenging collisions but also avoid the annoying edge cases.

Anyways, interesting to think about :)

6. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Indeed, I will have to consider that if it doesn't work out when I try it initially.

7. biscito

biscito

How do i get the beta ?

8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@biscito Its available to any existing 2DPC customer via a support ticket.

To everyone else mobile controls are in, I also added some simple components for mutli-platform support (so for example you can use different inputs on different platforms, as well as scale and activate/deactivate components based on different platforms, etc).

Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 1.12.54 pm.png

Unfortunately I made all the samples for 3:2 aspect so a lot of the edges of things look crappy in widescreen. I'm currently cleaning up all the samples for mobile. APK should be available tomorrow.

More positively everything seems to be a solid 60fps so far.

I'll also look to clean-up ropes and rope wizard tomorrow and then the only major development effort left will be a good 2.5D/3D sample. I have some models now, but I still need level art and some better animations.

Getting very close!

- John A

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

In other news I'm looking for a few folks who would like to collaborate on a small to medium size platform game. By building something with a bit of depth I can work through the same process that you guys will be. Making sure I fix anything thats not working or hard to use along the way.

Any artists, level designers, etc, interested then drop me a PM.

PS I'm happy to be building someone else's game although I do have a few ideas (with basic GDDs, concept art, etc) ready too.

10. biscito

biscito

Well, I send you an email,
    I want to update my game, it's this one
    We'll be happy to collaborate with you ,)

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  11. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Progress over the weekend was good. All samples working in mobile (although menus are not 'optimised' for mobile, I figure one nice mobile menu sample will be enough, the rest still work). Fixed all but one bug that has been raised over course of beta.

I didn't get to the rope editor but hoping I can knock that off this week.

I'll aim for one more beta build next weekend. Then onwards to release.

- John A

12. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Hey Johnny, just checkin in to see what's the latest with the Beta. :)

13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hi @Daniel311311 ,

I fixed up some ledge climbing bugs added slopes for enemies as well as a Debug button which shows info about what the enemy is doing. I also added a mario turtle style enemy where you can jump on its head then kick it, and jump back on its head to stop it flying along.

I've added the 2D transition Animator which allows you to do intermediate states in 2D mode (i.e if previous state is FALL and new state is IDLE play a landing animation).

All of this is working on Android, although I need to add menus to all the samples so you can navigate around the Android App (or web) app.

I've got a bit of time left this weekend (its a public holiday here in Australia), so hoping to either spend some time on the 2.5D sample or finish off ropes.

I'll aim to post a quick video this afternoon, although I do have a few other things on.

- John A

14. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Sounds good. Also I was wondering if the PC builds are to follow mobile? I just noticed today there was something preventing me form doing a test build today. (BaseMovements)

15. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I've been building to web and desktop for 12+ months, but occasionally I'll add an editor item and forget to wrap it in #if UNITY_EDITOR blocks. These are fixed in minutes. All builds will be verified before official release.

- John A

16. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Ah ok, gotcha. Regarding the beta builds, do we get email notifications if a new build is available? (if there is another build before release) Or will we need to request it via support?

17. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

There will be one more beta release, hopefully today, but I've got a few other things to do so it may not make it. If you are on the mailing list you will get an email, the list is maintained manually so a few people aren't on it. If you don't get an email in the next 2-3 days then send a support ticket.

18. apache_cd

apache_cd

Hi, i' not an old user, but i want to try playformer pro, How can i do it ? How to join the maillist ?

19. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@apache_cd There is no official way for people who don't own 2DPC to get a copy of the beta, will make it a bit hard to sell if I give to everyone :)

However if you have a reason for needing the beta instead of waiting for release, or if you can provide some value to the project, feel free to drop me a PM.

20. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Latest beta released, I didn't get as much done as I hoped but so many people asking for it I've packaged up and sent it out.

21. awejk

awejk

Thanks, and what are the new features?

22. superwendel

superwendel

They're listed in .../Assets/ReleaseNotes.txt

23. awejk

awejk

I'm sorry, now I see

24. BigBite

BigBite

Hello Johnny! Real quick, how would you like us to submit bugs? I don't necessarily need support (my project is not that far along). It could also be that it's not a bug and that I've overlooked something. Don't know if you are OK with people posting issues on these forums. I'll wait for your response.

25. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

26. BigBite

BigBite

Sounds good, sent ticket.

27. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Stupid recording as (view it full screen) I forgot to scale the window ... but this is 2.5D sample with the characters movement driven by Mecanim. Collisions still work as normal and you can combine mecanim driven and "standard" movements.

After clean up the next step is to incorporate acrobatic movements similar what I did here (in 2.5D of course):

28. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Hey Johnny I sent you a support ticket Wednesday with my invoice number that I got when I purchased 2DPC along with a request for the most recent beta release that you mentioned earlier this week. I know you got a lot of people asking for the most recent beta so I was wondering if you want me to wait a couple more days for a response or should I go ahead and try to send another ticket.

29. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'll take a look, I thought I got to everyone but I have been rather busy this week.

Still there's no harm in sending another request. Sometimes I accidentally close a ticket.

30. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Thank you very much Johnny. As usual you have great support with quick responses. I am looking forward to what else you have in store for the asset.

31. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Some more 2.5D stuff, still using whatever animations I can cobble together, but this one shows off new "special" type movements which you can use for moves tied to specific platforms and areas (be it acrobatic stuff like the video, or simple placing an object on a table, whatever):

32. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Hey Johnny, newest beta version is working great, did a few test builds of levels and everything went smoothly. Just a suggestion for future documentation/tutorials, building a simple menu like the one in Pixtroid (ability to configure input) would be cool. Also I was wondering if the ability to assign a different button for jetpack was already implemented? I wanted to be able to have it assigned to a different button from Jump.

33. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Howdy @Daniel311311 thanks for the comments.

I plan a pretty in depth series of documents and tutorials. Menu building will be in both the doco and a video tutorial (although it wont be first priority in the video stuff).

I have a JIRA to add alternate buttons to jetpack code. It marked as low priority but given its only a few minutes work I'm sure I can get it done :)

- - - -

Left before release:

* Clean up for iOS
    * A few more moves for the new 2.5D sample
    * Add Rope Editor
    * A few more enemy examples
    * Ensure all the core documentation is in place

Not everything I wanted to do is in that list but at this stage I think the best thing to do is release. There's nothing to stop me releasing updates every few weeks.

The above is around two weeks work, but I also need to create the promotional material for the asset store. The video tutorials I will start on once submitted: ideally they should be done by the time the package is approved.

Fingers crossed submission will be around July 12.

34. zenGarden

zenGarden

I think it's better to provide complete product and examples then having missing stuff, a solid delivery.
    Will you have a complete demo with webplayer showing all features ?
    Is your player using some raycast system or does it has a collider and is able to push physic objects ? Or must we create objects with a script moving when the player is in contact and push mode ?

35. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

The product is never *complete* because it has a number of pluggable systems: I expect to be adding movements and enemy AIs for years to come.

There are already many samples in different styles with different play mechanics. These will be available on web player and on mobile (preferably through the store if Apple will approve it, certainly APK downloadable for Android).

It is raycast based, but you can push physics objects (or non-physics objects if you prefer something more puzzle like).

36. Vidd

Vidd

Thanks for the invite to the beta, Johnny.

I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue with editing the sprite's colliders. If I edit the right side's collider by dragging one of the anchor points, the left point shoots dozens of units off to the right. I have to edit each side manually with the "reflect changes..." option unticked.

Is there something I'm missing?

EDIT: In case someone's having the same issue. I believe this may be where the child sprite isn't at local co-ordinates (0,0,0). Haven't really tested it but it seems like that was the source of the issue.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  37. kilik128

kilik128

nice beta is ready?

38. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Sprite should be a child of the character and should have no affect on the colliders. Is your characters scale something other than 1,1,1? Feel free to send me a test case.

39. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

iOS builds done, although I might tweak performance a bit, works nice on 5, but some demos are a bit slow on iPhone 4.

I might do a little more today, but to be honest I feel like a beer :) Updates tomorrow.

- John A

Vidd and superwendel like this.
  40. awejk

awejk

Do you plan to add pull boxes? I think its not hard to add? But it's very necessary for me

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  41. zoxmax1

zoxmax1

42. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Yes, but maybe not for 1.0. Its not hard to add, but there are a few hundred people with a few hundred requests so I have to try and pick the things that serve most peoples needs. Pull is pretty high on the list, if it doesn't make it in 1.0 (i.e. first release) it will be soon after.

43. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

So performance is looking much better now. Demos running fine on my old iPhone 4 (except the 2.5D "stealth" one but thats a graphics issue).

One bug left on my list of must do's. Two features.

I still want to flesh out the demos a bit more, but from here on its mostly doco, videos and polish.

outtoplay likes this.
  44. trizero

trizero

Can you send me the latest beta of platformer pro , I brought the 2d platform controller, and send the PDF invoice to you.

45. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Ropes are done (with movement and rope editor):

No major or critical bugs or features left to do. Yay!

46. aL0nerWolf

aL0nerWolf

Looking good man! :)

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

Keep up the good work.

48. biscito

biscito

soooo coool

49. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

So I've added a few usability updates:

1. Welcome screen with links to doco, tutorials, etc shows on startup (you can tick a box to remove).
    2. Added some more validations to the scene validator such as validating if hurt/hit boxes are set up using the correct rigidbody settings.
    3. Added a sample browser which highlights the key features of each sample so you can quickly browse to find a sample of a feature you are interested in.
    4. Updated animators so they now warn you in the console if there are missing states (with lots of details), instead of throwing a generic error and halting all animation.
    5. A "Geometry Test" scene which has lots of different geometry such as angles, passthroughs, simple and complex ledges, etc so you can test your character.​

I've also added pause menu and exit button to all the samples which means I can publish a WebPlayer and APK for users to test with (and not have them getting stuck on a level and having to exit/reload).

Added a few minor updates like a component to pause animations and physics when the game pauses (i.e. if you don't set timescale to 0 it will still pause these elements).

Other than a few updates to the stealth sample its only doco and video tutorials left to go.

superwendel likes this.
  50. superwendel

superwendel

This one is a huge additional feature for me from working with the beta. Thanks John!