Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Park Engine - Action RPG / Arena Fighting Engine

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by liero116, Mar 8, 2016.

1. liero116

liero116

Believe me; I want to be able to release and sell this engine soon, but it's just not ready in its current state. The problem right now is that there are too many specific dependencies that are needed to make it work. You'd basically have to make your characters exactly the way I do or you'd get errors all over the place. I will say that I am working to get rid of all of that and make things more general. It is currently a priority!

Anyways, my job is ending in the next week or so and I'll have nothing but free time to work on this. I intend to make it a full-time focus from that point on. Expect more updates!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

I'm definitely looking forward to that!
    Also, don't forget there's more experienced users who'd be interested in using this.
    Personally, I'd like to try adding in some P2P networking and other stuff. Let's take UFPS for example, it's a great solution, but it has so many things that adding multiplayer to that is just not practical over making your own FPS base.
    Anyway, this is definitely promising, and I can't wait to see more of it. Is there any price you have in mind?

3. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I have been watching this thread for a while you got my interest :)

4. liero116

liero116

Ok so I'm working on AI now. This one is going to take a while. I'm also really trying to get the time to record a system overview tomorrow. Hopefully I can do that and update you all on what's new.

ZhavShaw and HeadClot88 like this.
  5. liero116

liero116

I've disappeared on this for months but I'm still moving forward. Park engine is getting to a good place and I think I'm ready to start up some sort of Patreon for it. I'll likely start small with a few things, but I hope to eventually move to getting the engine to a public version. Also, expect some updates on new things this week.

ZhavShaw likes this.
  6. jaelove

jaelove

7. liero116

liero116

Ok finally here's an update:

It's a bit long, but it goes through most of the new stuff

ZhavShaw likes this.
  8. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

It's late so I don't want to spend too much time writing a long post, but dude, you're insane!

9. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

wow that's impressive. Will Park Engine be on AS soon or it is just your in-house solution? Keep posting, nice system btw :)

10. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

First of all, I want to say that it is really great. When can we see it in the Asset Store?
    I just watched your video on YouTube. This is perfect. Why do not you sell it right now? I want to buy it right now.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  11. jaelove

jaelove

I hope it comes to the asset store

12. liero116

liero116

Hey thanks, I've worked very hard on it!

Some of what is shown is too specific to really be viable as a general asset for most people, but my intent is to bring it to the asset store.

I can definitively say for sure that yes, I am bringing this to the asset store. I basically haven't been able to work on it since my last significant post in an extensive way so I'm currently still in the same boat as I was before. I recently licensed the engine in its current state to be used on a small project that is already done and released. I also basically produced the whole project for them from start to finish. It was a weird project and probably isn't what you'd expect it to be. Anyways, I now have more time to really develop it.

So why don't I release it now? Well there's a few reasons.

To start, there is zero documentation. None whatsoever. If I released it, I guarantee you wouldn't be able to use it at all. So I have to start documenting things. The only issue with that is I have some features that I don't use anymore and/or I created them so long ago that I don't exactly remember how they work. It's a lot of work I have to do before I can even think about submitting.

The next reason is dependencies. I've mentioned this before, but Park Engine currently requires a few existing assets from the asset store. I'm in the process of creating my own replacements, but this needs to be done. I don't think people will be to pleased to have to buy a separate asset just to be able to do something as simple as spawning effects.

Next, I have to clean up some messy and unused features. No point in including things that do nothing or will only confuse users. There are a few things thin the engine that I never bothered to remove even though I replaced them completely.

Finally, the engine only supports legacy rigs at the moment. I personally don't like Meccanim, so I don't use it. Still I have to support both so I need to make it work.

So there's a lot to do. I have been toying with the idea of providing some sort of alpha access in some form, but I'm not sure how I want to do that yet. Patreon is the likely proper path, but I have to consider a lot before I do that. In the meantime, I want to keep you all posted on the progress so I'll definitely be posting here much more often with updates.

13. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

Can you tell me the approximate ETA?

14. liero116

liero116

For a beta? I'd say earliest would be early 2018. It would have rough and probably incomplete documentation and it wouldn't be perfect, but a good starting point. Asset store would hopefully come a few months after that.

15. liero116

liero116

Here's a small update about alternate costumes and colors

The next update should be about AI.

16. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

Any news?

17. liero116

liero116

News incoming within the week. Haven't had nearly as much time as I used to to work on this.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  18. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

I'd like to hear some news.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  19. Banana13

Banana13

Is this still being worked on ? :)

20. liero116

liero116

Hey, so yes this is still being worked on. It's going incredibly slowly however. I don't have nearly as much time to work on this as I used to.

Having said that, I'm going to make a commitment to do a few things:
    1. Update this thread at least once a week.
    2. Focus more on engine features.
    3. Build a cohesive demo to properly demonstrate the engine's capabilities.
    Most likely updates will be done in video form since it takes me a lot less time to record something than it does for me to type it all up and do a bunch of screen shots. I can't make promises right now since my schedule is so hectic, but I definitely want to finally show at least how the AI functions in the next video which is hopefully going to be done next week. I'm going to do my best to keep on this thread. I'm pretty bad at remembering to maintain contact, but it's something I need to do.

Anyways, stay tuned.

jaelove and RavenOfCode like this.
  21. Banana13

Banana13

Sounds great :)
    Just a tip: Keep your scope for the first release small and make sure everything you have now works properly, else you might end up with a project that seems endless. Ive had this happen to me many times before ;) You can always add new features in the future.

22. liero116

liero116

Of course. That is definitely the plan. I'm using this engine to create my game at the moment. I'm always adding features add needed when I can, but I can't release the engine until it can actually be used to create a game from scratch. Having an endless project where I add more things in the future is certainly the idea, but I've purchased way too tools or engines from the asset store only to find that they were either too specific for one very small thing or, in the case of "game maker" tools, they weren't even really ready to make the game they advertised themselves to be able to make. I'm looking to make this something that can be used to make a game out of the box without any major modification. It will, of course, be open source, so there's that.

Basically, as is, the engine isn't ready yet. I'm making a test portion of my game and once I'm able to get all the way through that without needing to add anything extra, then it will be ready.

23. liero116

liero116

Ok finally an actual update!

This one is about AI. It's fairly simplistic right now. As a whole, they don't do any sort of path finding. They will eventually, but for now they don't. They're also currently only mildly aware of what their team mates are doing, but this will expand in the future to more coordinated efforts. I'm keeping it simple since I want the enemies in my game to be predictable. All of this functionality can easily be expanded upon. As mentioned in the video, the AI controller is simply a script that is placed on top of a normal player. This means that any character designed can be an AI and vice versa. The controller script only presses buttons automatically based on certain parameters.

Update on updates: I'm aiming for a weekly Sunday post. It may be more frequent or less frequent depending on my work week, but that's what I'm shooting for. I should also note that I travel a LOT. If I'm in a place with poor internet quality, I'll likely do a text post instead.

24. LTHendrix

LTHendrix

I'm really interested in this park engine for an Arena Fighter I'm working on.

1) I wanted to see where you were on the project
    2) Would you be interested in releasing the framework for the basic fighting on the Asset Store with the full package releasing later

Thank you.

25. jaelove

jaelove

Is this dead?

26. liero116

liero116

It's not dead, I've just been very quietly working on it.

I've been focusing much more on developing my game with the engine as of late. I didn't see much of a point in updating this thread when I'm not actively developing the Unity Store version of the engine.

I'd like to be able to give you some sort of an update or estimate on when I'll be done with this, but I can't right now.

27. julianmauriciolema

julianmauriciolema

Liero, this is amazing and unique! It is undoubtedly an engine that has a lot of potential. Im in for the list of buyers of what you publish. Looking forward to some updates!