Search Unity

Assets [WIP]Ocean Simulation

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Yujingping, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Yujingping

Yujingping

Hey Guys. I just created an ocean simulation system in Unity based on Tessendorf's FFT technique and Dupuy's whitecap rendering theory. Here is the GitHub repo: https://github.com/AlphaMistral/Mistral-WaterYou guys are more than welcomed to experience with it and gimme some feedback and suggestions. Looking forward to communicating with more game developers!

2. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

this is wonderful, works perfectly.. looks great

and I could really use this effect... I'm gonna play around wiith it and post some pics.. very nice..

3. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

I'm having a user related ID-10T moment... this works perfectly on my laptop, but when I bring it over to my other computer I'm getting some weird graphics artifacts..

but here's a link, this effect would make for a very nice "warpspace" effect, (link to "warpspace" for non 40K fans http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Immaterium)

Still working with it, I could spend hours tweaking and playing around with the settings, very enjoyable, very nice asset

a build, if your curious.. I'm taking it in a very non-ocean direction..https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05l7hprx0dxcclq/AACkY41ecxae_UUQ2GM-X0cQa?dl=0

4. snacktime

snacktime

Nice start. Is working on the wave simulation part something you like doing?

I ask because there is a need for good gameplay wave generation just as a thing on it's own. Nobody is really doing that well outside of proprietary solutions, and most Unity water assets allow for custom wave meshes.

Some thoughts based on having worked a lot on games that use water in gameplay (ie not just for scenery).

Directionality is a basic must have.

Multiple logic layers for generation. Gameplay water almost always has needs that conflict with purely realistic water. There is a lot of cargo cult mentality with water mesh generation IMO. Like why we don't apply some of the same approaches that we do with terrains to water, where our tools can generate using multiple layers to customize the output. With jobs coming up in 2018 this is even more doable now then ever.

Sea of thieves is I think the best out there right now in terms of good gameplay water, and that's just looking at the mesh generation not shading which is good also.

I would actually pay a few hundred dollars or more for an asset that just did wave generation well, it's just so core to good water and impossible to find.

5. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

bump...

great water effects.. really sweet waves.. very modable

6. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@Yujingping Do you have another third party dependencies? lot of missing scripts on your demo scenesyu

7. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

????
    what exactly are you trying to do? and how are you doing it? As far as I can tell, there are no missing dependncies

I get 1 error

Code (csharp):
    2. DllNotFoundException: PK-UnityPlugin
    3. PKFxCrypto.SetupCrypto ()
    4. PKFxManager..cctor ()
    5. Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for PKFxManager
    6. PKFxRenderingPluginEditor+PlayModeChangeWatcher.PlaymodeStateChanged ()
    7. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_PlayModeStateChanged (PlayModeStateChange state) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:215)
    and I'm pretty sure it's on the camera.. which has GUI and other depreciated stuff on it. I load up the FFT Mesh demo scene and I can even move that cube to my own seen, and I don't get any extra errors..

oh, I see, missing scripts on the camera, just delete that camera and put in your own. or make a prefab of that cube object and bring it into your own scene.

Its a very nice Ocean effect, and looks like its been updated recently. (actually best Ocean that I've ever played around with... (including.. what was that early xbox game with the jetskis?)