Search Unity

Games [WIP] Obra Downton (prototype working title) Hatching shading, in a book, Obra Dinn style game

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by runonthespot, Jan 11, 2023.

1. runonthespot

runonthespot

Hi all,

I've been recently inspired after a play-through of Obra Dinn, to make something similar with a non photo-realistic rendering approach (not 1-bit in this case as Lucas has nailed that), but a more pen an paper hatching style.

The idea is an 1860s manor house, and I'm considering a few different mechanics - I could go the full Obra Dinn style where (no spoilers) everyone dies, but I'm also considering slightly fewer murders and instead allowing the "Archivist" instead to examine and in some unique cases interact with the scenes via illustrations (probably in the notebook of the local constabulary who failed to solve the case). An archivist, like the company men with their Memento Mori, can enter into a scene at the time of death, or (perhaps) into the "account" as provided by any of the members of the house who provided their view of what happened, looking for inconsistencies...

I've been on these forums for years but recently picked up Unity again and started playing with NPR / hatching shaders. So far I've managed to implement:
    -Packing hatching textures to RGB channels.
    -Fadeoff volume built into the shader
    -Noise driven uv displacement to give it a painterly effect.
    -Hatching can be "tuned" to be a stable size at any distance from the camera and applied differently per object

Kreshi likes this.