Search Unity

Assets [WIP] NoiseVolume - Volumetric noise generation and editing

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by mezkhalin, Oct 26, 2018.

1. mezkhalin

mezkhalin

UPDATE

In process of cleaning up the code and writing a how-to for preparation of Asset Store publishing.
    Have a look here for updates or check back on this thread for more info

-

Hello!
    During a project I'm working on, I needed a tool for generating 3D textures with different kinds of noise. It also needed a way to modify the noise afterwards and in the end the result is what I would like to share with the world.
    An editor extension I call NoiseVolume; yeah the name is pretty descriptive but boring. Any thoughts?

But! Before I do, I need to test it in the field and as such I'm looking for people interested in trying it out!

What is it?
    It creates ScriptableObject assets, containing a 3D texture in varying sizes, with a black and white noise of your choice. The object has a custom editor where you can edit the noise data and add, remove or edit modifiers.

• Multitude of noise types; value, perlin, simplex, cellular etc., and fractal variants
    • Full control of noise data, with scale and offset parameters
    • Add as many modifiers as your computer can handle, from a selection of Clamp, Threshold, Remap and Math*

*More modifiers might be available, and if interest is shown in the plugin, upon publishing you will have the availability to create your own modifiers

What I'm looking for
    Pretty much anyone interested in trying it out and giving feedback! I'd also like to see how it looks in Unity Pro, as you can tell from the screenshots I dont own it. I'll be more detailed in what I'm looking for if anyone signs up. As a bonus, anyone who tests it and provides feedback, will receive a free copy and future updates of the finished product.

Let me know what you think!
    And thank you in advance!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    sarum likes this.
  2. mezkhalin

mezkhalin

Pre-release .unitypackages can now be downloaded here
    Keep in mind these are unfinished project releases and comes with no guarantees.

3. sarum

sarum

hey :)

just tried NoiseVolume .. i needed a 3D texture (32) for the Density Volume noise in HDRP (volumetric fog) .. so i created one with NoiseVolume .. but wasn't able to use it with the density volume .. i am getting this error :

VolumeTextureAtlas: Texture format of texture NoiseVolume32 (UnityEngine.Texture3D) : RGBAFloat does not match expected format of Alpha8
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.DensityVolume:OnEnable()

4. mezkhalin

mezkhalin

Hello and thanks for trying it out!
    Seems to me the problem is that the HDRP plugin expects textures in Alpha8 format, but NV exports in RGBAFloat format.

I'll start working on an option to change texture format and let you know when it's done!
    In the meantime, a solution would be if you can find a way to change the texture format.

5. sarum

sarum

there is a few Unity new features that are asking for 3D textures (density volumes, VFX graph) ... if NoiseVolume could provide them out of the box, it would be very handy.

any plans for an animated preview result in the future (instead of 3 screenshots) ?

6. mezkhalin

mezkhalin

We'll see! I'll do my best to get it to provide volumes out of the box. But it's feedback like you do that will make it happen, so thank you! :)
    Also, here's a version where you can change texture format! It's a drop-down menu in the top inspector section.
    Let me know how it works out (or not)!

As for the preview, I am planning to do a volumetric rendering preview (I have an old one I wrote laying around). But what do you mean by animated preview? Like one texture that scrolls through one axis/dimension? That would be feasible and seeing as I'm already going to provide preview options, it could become a thing I think!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. sarum

sarum

the new version is working .. Unity does now accept the 3D texture (Alpha8 format) .. cool !

it is looking good when used with the Density Volume .. but there is a big issue : the texture doesn't Tile well (not seamless). I am not sure if it is coming from NoiseVolume or Unity tho.

yes .. same as in the Unity density volume

densityVolume.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  8. mezkhalin

mezkhalin

awesome! nice to hear it working!
    Hm yeah i suspected that. Most likely it's coming from the FastNoise library. I've added the issue to my list of things to do. Keep an eye out for an update.

And the preview texture thing, once I've added volumetric preview I will look into it, see if it's feasible to do. Would be nice to have an option to scroll though it with your mouse scrollwheel :D

9. sarum

sarum

sounds good .. looking forward the update !