Search Unity

[WIP] No More Truck Parking

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TestDriveX, Mar 5, 2014.

1. TestDriveX

TestDriveX

My first post here :) I've browsed these forums A LOT but i didn't post anything, my bad :(

As the title says all started when i got sick of the all truck parking games on android and wanted something more to waste time when waiting to pick-up my wife from work. :)

So the base game goal is: get a truck, a trailer (or more) and drive on a twisty road trying to reach the destination fast and without damage.

The truck: must be, big, heavy, powerful, weak brakes (not really but they feel like because of the weight), bounce like a truck, sound like a truck.. so on, not a box that slides over some planes and vaguely resembles a truck.

The trailers: big, bigger, biggest, heavy, long, as many wheels as possible.

The road: long (even the short one must be long enough), generated at runtime, twisty, ups and downs to challenge the truck and the driver, random hazards (boulders,trees,roadwork,crashed trucks)

The scenery: to resemble real landscapes and look nice enough on small screens.

Enough with so many words .... here is a web demo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51826237/NoMoreTruckParking.html. When you start the game the trailer displayed will bounce. It settles when selecting another truck or trailer. (bug not present on android build and i didn't look for it :p)

On the bottom of the page is the link for an apk to test on android devices for witch i would like some feedback as in how well it runs on different devices (average fps, road generating time - fast, slow, crashed ....). Target hardware is: 800MHz-1GHz single core processor, ~512Mb ram or less, 3.5"- 4" screen size. Target framerate is 30fps on this one.
    Mobile build is limited as you can play only with first truck,trailer,preset. Steering on mobile is tilt based (enable gyro)

Any other feedback, ideas, tips, even negative feedback will be appreciated :)

Some screens:
    Main menu:
    $mainmenu.jpg

In game "head out of window" view (click/tap and drag around to rotate inside camera, short click/tap to auto center, use the cogwheel to change views)
    $bdouble_incam_turn.jpg

Editor view of a piece of the generated road (mountains preset)
    $editor_mountains.jpg

And of course bugs stick their heads out from time to time (Roadbuilders gone mad)
    $editor_mountains_gone_mad.jpg

The graphics is dumb atm. Placeholders mostly. But i know that if a game is crap with placeholders, will be a crap with nice graphics when released :D

2. jRocket

jRocket

This is pretty good despite the placeholder graphics. I can see it turning out nicely with some polish. How were the roads done?

3. TestDriveX

TestDriveX

Pathfinding on heightmap with constraints (cost based): curvature,ramp,general direction, map margins limits.... After that some smoothing work, straigthening zig-zags, relaxing uturns, ramp smooth, creating bridges/tunnels when possible.

4. TestDriveX

TestDriveX

I didn't have much time to update this lately but i've started modeling the first truck.
    $rustyfront.jpg
    $rustyback.jpg
    It still needs some more texturing work.

It's based on MAZ 501 with an upgrade to engine. It was just way too slow using real parameters :)