Search Unity

WIP Ninja-stealth game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AndreiKubyshkin, May 21, 2015.

1. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Trying to give rangers a little more brains:

Now instead of blindly chasing the player they're trying to choose the best position for shot. For example, if they dont see player behind the corner, they wont run to his position like before, but instead will try to find the point from where player is visible and will shoot from there. Also they are changing positions from time to time to make illusion they are really smart guys:D

Another thing that is not visible in the videos but that took some of my time is a character controller bug. Well I don't sure if this is a bug actually, but when enemies were pushing the player, he very often apeared on the top of their heads after that. I managed to fix this behaviour disabling any physics on enemies. Now Im just pushing characters away from each other manually from script.

kurotatsu, Hey! Another ninja-stealth developer:) Sure, you can contact me whenever it is convinient for you. My skype id is "megachebu". I watched the videos on your facebook page, they seems to be a little outdated? Are you still developing the game? Anyway, it seems like you went a lot further than I in terms of content already then.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  2. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

This game looks great. What pathfinder are you using?

3. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

ephemeral life, glad you like it, thanks!

Pathfinding works with unity built-in navMeshes and navAgents.

Actually the only external plugin/extension I use is Behaviour Machine (clickable). I use it to visually edit finite state machines for AI.

4. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Oh, so you control the avoidance by keeping track of occupied nodes then?

5. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Enemies avoid each other with built-in navMeshAgents capabilities only. I didn't do anything special about it. Though there are some minor issues, when they push each other out of the way, but nothing critical really. I never saw couple of enemies stuck in a doorway or something like that.

Maybe with larger count of enemies there will be problems, I don't know. It need to be tested.

6. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

I didn't know the built in avoidance was that good. Thanks for the fast replies man :).

7. Foestar

Foestar

Very cool work and fluent game play. The graphics seem like an older style game with slight improvement which is very nostalgic and awesome imo. I wouldn't add much more detail in fear of it becoming like many other newer games. Graphics alone can do a whole lot for a game in making it appeal apart from it's competitors. And your game play which is super fluent will only add to that.

You don't need to worry about adding in way too much into the game play as suggested earlier. I get that it would get boring if it was just this sneak kill and run in open areas all the time. But adding too much congests the game and makes it feel more like a task. It's literally half the problem with games today. When I play a game I don't want to feel like I'm dreading it because I'm swarmed with miniscule tasks that flood me like quests. But I also don't want ot find myself with a lack of things to do and only have one way of completing a level that is back and fourth.

I think adding in a small but decent amount of features along with a detailed level is what will make your game play great. Let me sneak up on my enemies from below, or from above by choice. But make it so some choices may end up being bad decisions. Like dropping on someone only to have 3 guys waiting in an overhand area right below. Match the players speed maybe with the AI or make it less then give them tools that will be required for use in order to escape. That way they don't just jump into everything and have repercussions to their choices and must rely on skill.

Keep up the good work.

8. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Foestar, Very solid opinion, thank you for this. I agree that I need to focus on primary features and not chasing the do-it-all-game - if I understood you correctly. Still I need to add something but those things that are already there. I think that players right now are a little spoiled with games that came after the first Tenchu and they would expect something else but sneaking and killing enemies.

ephemeral life, I actually was using the Astar project for pathfinding purposes at first. I thought that built-in navmeshes are slow and also they're only avaible in the pro version. And then in some moment I found that this is free and works pretty well, as well as providing some basic avoidance capabilities for agents. So I switched pathfinding to the built in.

9. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

When do you plan to have a demo of it?

10. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I'll contact, you.

LOL that is the ancient Unity 3.5 version I was making for OUYA, now I'm a licensed PS4 developer.

It has come a LOOOOng way. I'm in the middle of getting my locomotion back up and running, though I love yours, as that's what I am trying to achieve.

We'll talk more via skype.

11. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

12. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Killing from above animation (stylized a little:) ):

KillFromAbove.gif

RavenOfCode, Mister-D and GrimeBrett like this.
  13. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I love it!!!

AndreiKubyshkin likes this.
  14. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Hey!

I decided I will spend some time modelling the environment. Most of the level will be made of modular models, like this fence in the video.

kittik and GrimeBrett like this.
  15. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Excellent video. It is coming together nicely.

I sent you a skype with some questions.

Do you think this would help with your level design of the fences:

Simple Fence Builder.

16. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Did some modular elements for constructing buildings of them:

BuildingsModelling.jpg

kittik, kurotatsu and Mister-D like this.
  17. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Love the whole gameplay!!! and the buildings look sharp.

Got my grapple system wrote(just went ahead and wrote from scratch.), I'll show ya via skype.;)

18. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

19. kittik

kittik

I'm keeping updated on this page. I really like what you're creating. The ranged enemies are really nice addition. :)

I really like the flooring that you're using. Is it from the Asset Store?

20. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

hey kittik, thanks.

All textures are drawn by me. Except for the terrain textures - they are from standart assets I believe.

kittik likes this.
  21. Mister-D

Mister-D

any news? i hope u havent abandonned the project;)

22. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Mister D,

Hey!

Glad to know that someone is interested in project:)

Let me explain why I didn't post any updates in a last month.

About a month ago I decided to make a small project. Purpose is to know how it is done (publishing in stores) to avoid mistakes with bigger project (this one). My initial plan was to spend a month on this new small project. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to finish it still (started on december 7th). As soon as I will finish it I will return to the ninja-steatlh development.

The small project i'm talking about is a top-down view car-combat game for mobiles. I will post a thread about it if someone is interested to see it.

upload_2016-1-10_21-49-59.png

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  23. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

I'm definitely interested, you make quality stuff.

24. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Agreed

25. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Thank you for kind words guys. I'll post a thread about the game in couple of days.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    kurotatsu and kittik like this.
  26. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

RavenOfCode and kurotatsu like this.
  27. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Awesome, I'll haveta pop over and scope it out.

28. umair21

umair21

Hi! Can you please tell me from where did you get that picking up dead body animations and drop that body animation?

29. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Hey,

I made them

30. umair21

umair21

Can you please share with me those animations while you've picked a body? "Pick up dead body", "Drop dead body", "Body being picked up", "Body being dropped", "Locomotion while body picked"? Please?

31. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Those animations were made for my custom skeleton, not a "humanoid" rig, they won't help you with anything, sorry.

32. SSG1

SSG1

This game is still in development ?

33. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

No. I would like to return to this theme someday, but it would be a different game.