Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games [WIP] Nexum (Very Fast Paced Sci-Fi FPS)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by KubeX, Jul 16, 2013.

1. KubeX

KubeX

Nexum logo2_16bit-transparent.png

Greetings, Unity developers. Nexum (formerly called Project Heroes) is a very fast paced sci-fi first person shooter. Nexum introduces a new approach of FPS gameplay. The gameplay focuses on combining modern and classic twitch FPS games together into a competitive, frantic fast paced FPS experience. Play as 5 classes/characters with their own unique abilities.

bloom and ambient occlusion.PNG

post processing fx test 2.PNG

Character descriptions (outdated info)
    Soldier
    Very easy to use and very balanced. Being basic doesn't mean he's not fun to use. He is able dodge dash while holding the shotgun, which allows him to make swift movements in short distances. He is able to mix up the dodge movement to throw off the enemy's aim and close the gap for a close ranged kill. This makes him very effective in 1 vs 1 dueling situations. He has access to a huge variety of weaponry to emphasize his versatility. Assault Rifles, PDWs, Shotguns, and Rocket Launchers.

Sniper
    The Sniper is unarguably a difficult character to use. Having great agility, and powerful sniper rifles makes this class an absolutely devastating class in the hands of a skilled player. Players who are willing to challenge themselves are rewarded with high offensive value. The Sniper makes most of her agility through dodge hopping while holding the sniper rifle.

Drone
    The Drone is a very unique class that defines both glass cannon and passive aggressive medic. Drone emphasizes on hi-tech nanotechnology to change the flow of the battle. He uses grenade/plasma launchers and laser pistols. He is the smallest playable character in the game, making him very hard to hit. As a trade off, he has the highest death value in the game alongside with the lowest health in the game. He also has very low offensive value at the start, making him an incredibly weak character at the beginning of a match. Making use of his weaponry and skills will increase his offensive value, and can make Drone very deadly and supportive. Not only can Drone heal allies, but is capable of harassing enemies to great levels.

Ninja
    As if the game can't get anymore fast paced than what it is now, the Ninja takes it to the extreme. Play stealthy or play aggressive. This class can cling on to walls, perform wall jumps, or even hang over ledges and climb over them. The Ninja emphasizes on close ranged combat, so he needs to get close to the enemy for a kill. He uses swords and throwing weapons(ninja stars). If he gets close to an enemy, it will be a difficult fight for them. Having such extreme speed and deadly close ranged combat, the Ninja has very high death value.

Sentinel
    The guardian of his allies, this class plays on the more defensive role to prevent enemies from playing too aggressively. Equipped with an arm cannon and shield(not available in current demo), he can clear out crowd fights or counter attack enemies. He has the highest health in the game, making him more difficult to take out by a lone enemy.

???
    The extreme high risk, high reward character that isn't glass cannon. Quick to become devastating. Quick to fall flat. Careful use of his abilities can greatly turn the tides of a battle. Poor usage can result a loss very quickly. As a team member, his playstyle allows the user to lead the team to victory, should the team find themselves in critical situations.

-----------------
    Gameplay Features

Ultra Fast Paced Gameplay
    This game puts your twitch FPS skills to the test. Everyone can move extremely fast and dodge attacks. Adrenaline pumping, chaotic action.

Dodge Attacks
    Each character has the ability to Dodge Dash. Unlike the usual kind of dashing, the distance and direction of the dash is dynamic. You can make your character make a short or long ranged dash. You can also curve and alternate directions while in the middle of dashing, opening up for potential counter attacks and fooling your enemy with unpredictable movement.

Advanced Movement Options
    Rocket jumping, wall jumping, slope jumping, bunny hopping, Nexum provides lots of options to move around the map for mobility, depending on the character the you're using.

The Value System
    To answer potential balancing issues, a Value System has been implemented which affects how fast a team can win the match. Each character and their loadout assigns their Offensive Value and Death Value. Characters with high death value means they are risking their team of losing faster, while characters with high offensive value has the potential to win a game faster. Depending how deadly a character is and how difficult they are to use, will affect their Offensive and Death Value. Update 12 goes more in-depth about this feature.

Unique Character Abilities and Playstyle
    Every character plays differently. Some also have passive abilities to augment their playstyle and affect the gameplay flow. For instance, Cobalt has a shield that can protect himself and his allies. Kenshin can wall jump and wall run. Nano can heal allies.

Planned Gameplay Features
    Loadouts and Abilities/Skills:
    In a later update, the player will no longer be restricted to just a primary, secondary and melee weapons. Perks and abilities will be implemented later to add more varied gameplay and introduce the game to a more competitive and strategic gameplay.

Matchmaking system:
    Possibly difficult to implement. The steep learning curve and skill based gameplay can lead to unbalanced match making. This means the game will need to make sure the new players face new players and the pros will face the pros. The game will need to make sure the match making is accurate as possible to prevent pro players from making new accounts to face new players.

More Characters/Classes:
    We're not stopping at just 5 classes. In the future, there will be more characters implemented into the game. Adding a wide diverse gameplay, while still keeping it balanced with the use of the Value System.

------------------
    Multiplayer Gameplay

Most Recent Update - New Visuals, Swapping Characters, New Map

Update 1: Maneuverability improvements, Early Multiplayer details, Knockback Physics

Update 2: Camera Recoil

Update 3: New Bullet Effects, New Recoil Feature, Dual Wielding
    https://youtu.be/Nw9eRyiun9A

Update 4: New Special Sword for Ninja, Melee system
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkmI...ew-vl&list=PLCUIYcENfnHc82HHLtxZWiBokfRmo753r

Update 5: An intro to the 5th class
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YN7Z_Ju5zo&feature=share&list=UUAyJUV9-awuLr9l1neowV8A

Update 6: Camera Recoil Improvements, Options and Planned features
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB1s9t4KVIo&feature=share&list=UUAyJUV9-awuLr9l1neowV8A

Update 7: Health and Ammo Pickups (no voice over)
    http://youtu.be/0xTXw0gzh7Q

Update 8: Burst Fire and Gun Sway Limit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjAGCEanq20&feature=share&list=UUAyJUV9-awuLr9l1neowV8A

Update 9: Spawning with Character Selected (no voice over)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7xn...t=PLCUIYcENfnHc82HHLtxZWiBokfRmo753r&index=12

Update 10: Explosion + Knockback physics improvement
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXbp_v33rUM&list=PLCUIYcENfnHc82HHLtxZWiBokfRmo753r&index=14

Update 11: Ninja Stars + Wall Jump Update
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3T4v1unL3s&list=PLCUIYcENfnHc82HHLtxZWiBokfRmo753r&index=15

Update 12: New Scoring System + New Networking
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThR5-doyLYY

Update 13: Stealth, New Mechanics, Jump Pads
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAqitM8DII8
    ---
    FAQ:
    Q: When will you add character models?
    A: I don't know when they will be added, and even if the character models get completed, they still need to be animated with the player's movements and aiming. Drone is the only one who has a character model but I'd prefer to have everyone have polished character models and animated. Seeing them in T-Stance is hilarious but I'd reserve the character model implementation to a much later update.

Q: Are you going to add arm models?
    A: Yes. The main reason there are no arm models yet is because there are no character models implemented in yet. I have messed around with some test arm models but they didn't look that good when put into action. Arm models probably won't be seen until much later on in the future updates.

Q: Is this game going on Steam?
    A: Yes. That is the main platform target this game is going after.

Q: Can I playtest the game?
    A: Yes you can! Come join the discord server to access the game test build and provide feedback. https://discord.gg/FjAJvdJ
    Alternatively you can use this link here. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7xwaB4zskYmWTdGeXZleXFoeGc

Q: Will there be early access on Steam?
    A: I'm shying away from early access. "Early access" will be done outside of Steam. I'd rather present the game to a broad audience when it's presentable and polished enough within my standards.

Q: Can I help with the game?
    A: We are looking for 3d modellers, level designers, texture designers, animators, concept artists, and VFX artists. Message me with a portfolio if you're interested.

---
    Disclaimer:
    -The game is still early in development and game play is subject to change at anytime.

Multiplayer Test Build:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7xwaB4zskYmWTdGeXZleXFoeGc

Nexum Discord Server Link:
    https://discord.gg/FjAJvdJ

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    knmaciel and TrollHachem like this.
  2. primus88

primus88

Very nice game mechanics ideas and execution.
    If this game would come out I would buy it on the spot.

I'm only afraid that sometimes the movement speed and the combat pace will be too fast. Though is hard to get the right feeling from a video only.

3. KubeX

KubeX

Hi primus88, thank you for posting feedback.

Balancing is certainly an issue with the game at the moment, a feature called "Tired out state" makes the player incredibly slow and an extremely easy target. If the player uses up too much stamina, they enter tired out state and gives the enemy the easy kill. Tired out state is removed when the player recovers their stamina to full bar. You may try out the demo, but it's outdated.

4. snowboardkid

snowboardkid

This is pretty cool, I could not get that sniper slide though, so I gave up. It seems kind of complicated just to be able to slide.

5. KubeX

KubeX

You can watch the tutorial walkthrough video to see how sniper slide is done in slow motion. The sniper slide is a bit tricky, so it may take some time to get the hand motion correct. W---->Shift->Space->Q->Control

6. primus88

primus88

The sniper slide does look complicated :)
    It is so complicated because of balance sake ? If not, then you should try to make it simple and intuitive, like the rest of the systems are.

Also I don't know how well the slide mechanic suits a sniper. I was thinking maybe something like the sniper being able to scout enemies for his team mates, thus making the enemies easier to kill :)

7. CORE-maker

CORE-maker

This game looks very promising!
    It sorta looks like my game i'm creating which Ill hopefully show soon (sci fi, class system)
    Although I'm not a fan in recoil. Soldiers (meaning all the classes) wouldn't have much of an issue with recoil, even todays soldiers dont. I would like it if it was more recoil management such as moving the mouse to counter the recoil, which can make the game more skill based.

8. Jallen182

Jallen182

This looks pretty awesome. I like the fast pace, it reminds me of Time Splitters 2. I really like the unique classes, though I think the Ninja might have an unfair advantage due to it's speed (but when does a ninja not have an unfair advantage, it's an occupational hazard :) ). Keep it up, will be following!

9. carl010010

carl010010

This really has some nice promis behind it. Keep up the good work :)

10. KubeX

KubeX

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the feeback.

11. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

seams quite nice, keep up the good work i cant wait to see more!

P.S your voice in the update video (the latest) sounds like you are young, what is your age? (young developers impress me a lot especially this!)

12. KubeX

KubeX

I sound very young but I'm actually 17 years old. I began working on the project when I was 16.

13. CORE-maker

CORE-maker

When will the next update be?

14. squared55

squared55

To be fair, that's still fairly young compared to the majority of the population. :)

There are lots of little things in this game I like- for one, the crosshairs on the shotgun are almost hypnotic. Fast paced may be a bit of an understatement too. Very much looking forwards to seeing some multiplayer gameplay. :)

The only thing I would suggest is, instead of increasing the recoil on the rifle to absurd levels the longer you fire, perhaps just increase the recenter speed? Some camera shake would work too.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  15. KubeX

KubeX

Next update is on it's way!

The battle rifle itself does have some improvements needed. I am thinking of making a separate but similar weapon like the Battle Rifle but is focused more on the camera recoil rather than gun recoil. This gun is definitely going to be much harder to use than the Battle Rifle. Then again, lots of weapons can get scrapped during development.

Also slightly edited the title of the thread. Though it didn't seem to fully update itself.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  16. KubeX

KubeX

Update 4 is out. Featuring a new melee system for the Ninja and the other classes.
    [video=youtube_share;fkmIRxQA3dc]http://youtu.be/fkmIRxQA3dc

17. CORE-maker

CORE-maker

New update looks pretty cool, especially that sword stuff.
    New gun model looks good but try and make it more hard shading then soft (like the edges) if youre using blender just use the edge split modifier, or do it manually (id you know how to).
    Keep it up.

18. primus88

primus88

Awesome new melee system, but pleeease make a katana for the ninja :D
    The laser riffle looks OK, but could be better. I would gather more inspiration from games like Halo or Mass Effect.
    In fact take a close look at the weapons in Mass Effect 3, you can inspect their design functionality in detail .

19. KubeX

KubeX

New update following up. As the game begins to start the multiplayer process, here's something that was unexpected to happen. I searched up fast paced fps games to see if there are any other fast paced fps games out there. I was surprised to see my own game listed on google.

$1082530_189925951173933_19935038_o.jpg
    $457373_189925954507266_1865839954_o.jpg

Google has picked up our game. Meaning people who search up fast paced fps games will see our video listed. There's no turning back now.

20. KubeX

KubeX

Update 5 brings up features for the 5th class.

Post feedback about the new shield system.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  21. KubeX

KubeX

After days of hard work with the help of GTGD set of tutorials. After editing the scripts to make it compatible with the game and endless of hours of fixing glitches that were beyond the difficulty imagined. The first stage of multiplayer progress is here.

$1149096_198641930302335_966773304_o.jpg

22. CORE-maker

CORE-maker

Why no video :(

23. primus88

primus88

You have here a very fun, very powerful game design. Keep it up with adding features that are fun, add good graphics and sounds and this will be an instant hit!

24. OussamaB

OussamaB

Great game, It reminds me of Team Fortress 2. I will keep following this.

25. KubeX

KubeX

The video will be published once I can get some testers going. There are still a few issues here and there.

26. KubeX

KubeX

Post feedback or thoughts on the early test phase of the multiplayer testing.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  27. KubeX

KubeX

Wanna test the game? Come join the multiplayer server at 8:30 pm EST(Eastern Time US Canada) August 31. If you wanna join, let me know so I can make room for testers.

28. ZKtheMAN

ZKtheMAN

HOLY FRIGGEN MOLY.
    It took me two whole minutes to get adjusted to it, and I had to turn my mouse's DPI down too. CRAZY FAST. Great game, although might need some speed reductions to level things out.

29. KubeX

KubeX

Based upon request to improve recoil system on the battle rifle. An improved and modified version of the battle rifle takes this into action. Recoil control and improved camera recoil.

Other stuff covered in this video are options and planned features.

30. snezmez

snezmez

hey, I am absolutely in love with this game, i've played the demo a bunch of times. i think its great that you are making another fast paced fps. i would call it a twitch shooter, but i cant be sure i'm twitching until i've played with my mouse :wink: anyways, i can't wait for the real game! Are you planning on selling it or making it free to play?

31. snezmez

snezmez

was the multiplayer testing a one time thing or can I be part of this now too??????

32. KubeX

KubeX

I plan to make the multiplayer version free to play but the single player mode (if there will be one) is going to be paid. This may change in the future. As for the multiplayer testing. I will post an announcement here in this thread and in my Youtube channel if the multiplayer server is open for testing.

What I'm currently trying to accomplish right now is making the menu and the multiplayer matches work together. Meaning that players will now be able to choose their class and weapons.

33. KubeX

KubeX

I've been working on the menu. Here's a sneak peak of the unfinished character selection.

$901948_219299141569947_1757675959_o.jpg

34. squared55

squared55

Simple, but nice. :)

Although, "Tanker" makes me think of this:

StarGamess likes this.
  35. KubeX

KubeX

I couldn't come up with a decent class name for the 5th one.

Added descriptions for each character.

$1400277_219530658213462_1022680546_o.jpg

$1397877_219530651546796_242665360_o.jpg

$1396889_219530661546795_12854787_o.jpg

$1294287_219530664880128_185626504_o.jpg

$1402017_219530654880129_2078228426_o.jpg

36. squared55

squared55

Guardian, Defender, Sentinel or Paladin maybe?

On the descriptions, I think they may work better if written from a third-person perspective. (The Tanker is, it's; instead of You're/You)

37. KubeX

KubeX

Changed class name to Sentinel. Seemed to be more fitting.

Here are the updated descriptions. I had to make sure they fit into the alignment on the interface in game after editing them.

Soldier
    The Soldier is an
    easy to use and
    balanced class with
    an extra step
    forward. His assault
    rifle is used to
    attack enemies at
    ranged distances,
    while his shotgun is
    used for close combat
    dueling situations.
    He can dodge dash to
    avoid attacks while
    holding his shotgun.

Sniper
    The Sniper is
    difficult to use, but
    highly rewarding.
    She has amazing
    dodge capabilities
    and special
    techniques for
    moving across the
    map. She is
    effective at
    attacking enemies at
    range for high kill
    rewards. She is
    deadly when mastered.

Drone
    The Drone is small,
    very fast, but
    extremely fragile.
    Being a contribution
    to the team can mean
    between helpful or
    harmful. He needs to
    keep himself and his
    allies alive. His
    death is very harmful
    to the team. He can
    gain more offensive
    value by healing
    allies.

Ninja
    The Ninja is fast,
    stealthy and deadly.
    He is able to wall
    jump, wall run, run
    up ledges and
    surprise foes. His
    sword is a deadly
    close range weapon.
    He can kill enemies
    fast, and leave the
    scene quickly before
    enemies have the
    chance to attack him
    or his allies.

Sentinel (formerly Tanker)
    The Sentinel is the
    guardian of his
    allies. His shield
    can protect his team
    and counter attack
    enemies. He lacks
    some speed but has
    the most health.
    His weapons pack
    lots of power.
    Making it effective
    for clearing areas
    and holding back
    enemies.

38. snezmez

snezmez

I like the sentinel as a name. i also like the idea of it. every class-based fps has a heavy class, but with this one its more of a support-ish class which makes it so you're not just shooting everything, you're actually doing something.

39. KubeX

KubeX

Any thoughts about the new weapon?

$1395271_222593511240510_1387891808_n.jpg

$1401710_222593531240508_850964908_o.jpg

$1375705_222593541240507_223343802_n.jpg

40. squared55

squared55

Needs edge split modifier and ambient occlusion. That said, I like the design. :)

41. snezmez

snezmez

42. KubeX

KubeX

That is for the sniper class. The weapon is called the Rail Spear.

43. newb_quest

newb_quest

hey Kube X,

Thanks for your feedback on my own thread. I like what you've got going so far. I particularly like the idea of giving the heavy a shield which prevents firing. I feel like this gives the player a little more strategic choice in how to play the tank. I'm thinking about implementing a similar blocking mechanic in my own game and would love to hear more about how that playtests out.

Overall I like the emphasis on speed and it seems like you're making some impressive progress, especially in getting multiplayer working already. Keep it up!

44. KubeX

KubeX

Newest short and simple update video. No voice over however.

Health and Ammo pickups that respawn after sometime when taken by a player.
    [video=youtube_share;0xTXw0gzh7Q]http://youtu.be/0xTXw0gzh7Q

45. enzo4567

enzo4567

Hi Bountyxsnipe

I'm a nonprofessional blender user and I was hoping maybe it would be an interesting project to help with the development of your game. My main intentions are to help you in maybe modeling and texturing low and high poly weapons, props and maps or i can create a sort of cover title to the game ( just a simple image with the game title with a realistically rendered backround of one of the game maps at the back depends on you.) , I have more than three years of experience with the software, I have taken 0 courses but have watched very many tutorials and learned alot of the tools to create my own creative scenes. I'm mostly experienced in rendering, materials, compositing and lighting. But I can still model and texture. There's a few things i cant do at a very good level at all is animate, model characters and rigging so forget that.

This is pretty much 100% voluntary work
    This would be a very interesting project for me to work for
    If your interested contact me at enzo4567@gmail.com
    I can send you a small portfolio of my renders if you want.

Lately I've been also learning maya. something's are really clear and I'm almost just as good for rendering in maya then blender.
    My only problem at the moment I cant seem to model anything because of this modeling mode that I can't turn off.

I also play a lot of fast paced games like : quake live, Warsow, half life 2 deathmatch, tribes ascend and team fortress 2 ( rocket jumping and surfing)
    ik what charactistics I like and don't like about them and maybe I could make you some suggestions for the gameplay of the game (especially movement)

46. KubeX

KubeX

Just a quick video showing a work in progress main menu.

[video=youtube_share;owCkuLTUaT4]http://youtu.be/owCkuLTUaT4

47. squared55

squared55

You managed to make me watch you click around a menu for over a minute. I think that means you did a good job. :)

48. KubeX

KubeX

Thanks. For a menu that's still incomplete, there's still stuff to be added. Hopefully, this menu can achieve a clean interface and easy navigation.

49. KubeX

KubeX

New update. Features the new burst rifle and gun sway limit.

50. KubeX

KubeX

New update. Players can now spawn with the character they selected.