Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets [WIP] MadGoat SSGI (ScreenSpace Global Illumination)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Raul_T, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Raul_T

Raul_T

Announcing MadGoat SSGI (ScreenSpace Global Illumination)

MadGoat SSGI is a ScreenSpace Global Illumination solution that we’ve been working on for the past few months. We developed this mainly for our Northern Lights game but we decided to take the extra steps to make it into a separate product for the Asset Store!

What MadGoat SSGI can do:
    • Fast GI approximation computed in screen space (0.04ms per frame @ 1080p with optimized settings)
    • Support for Built-In Pipeline via PostProcessingStack2 and HDRP via Render Volumes (with URP possibly in the future, currently not viable due to pipeline limitations)
    • Can be stacked with baked lighting to allow dynamic objects to interact with baked lighting.
    • Possibility to be extended to DXR Raytracing in the future (Most interesting for Built-in pipeline and URP which don’t come with RTGI by default)

What MadGoat SSGI can NOT do:
    • Can’t run on forward rendering as it’s developed around the deferred gbuffers.
    • It’s based on screen space path tracing. This means that SSGI can’t take into account data that is not visible on the screen.
    • This solution is not meant as a replacement for regular GI but as a high-frequency GI that can run on top of other GI solutions (i.e. Can produce more granular detail in close-ups)
    • Can’t run on mobile platforms due to effect complexity

There is currently no fixed ETA on when it will hit the store, but we will keep everybody updated on the development thread over here :) . Also, more screenshots and videos with the solution in action coming soon.

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

You could probably choose a better example image though, it looks like it only boosted the saturation of lights, and attenuate some normal. You should show something more drastic, and many people will be pleased, gi envy has been running wild recently.

Raul_T likes this.
  3. RobRab2000

RobRab2000

Nice! Is this likely to work on the WebGL platform?

4. Raul_T

Raul_T

More screenshots and a video from sponza testing. Also MadGoat SSGI is stable enough to be fully integrated in our game now. Development for an asset store version will begin shortly :)

Currently we only developed and tested for Windows - Directx11. Support for other platforms might come with the asset store release (where not limited by hardware or graphics API)

NotaNaN and hopeful like this.
  5. arsnyan2002

arsnyan2002

Any news on the project?

6. Raul_T

Raul_T

Currently I'm focusing on getting the best look and performance out of it in our game (built-in render pipeline)
    There is still a long way to go until a proper release, I would say some time after summer. (also Scriptable Render Pipelines especially are a pain in the a** right now and a release would make most sense for them since they are missing realtime gi)

corjn, hopeful and arsnyan2002 like this.
  7. DebugLogError

DebugLogError

If there's URP support I will definitely pick this up!

Raul_T likes this.
  8. Raul_T

Raul_T

Porting on URP is a bit tricky at the moment (URP is still missing some core rendering features that I need for SSGI) but its something thats definitely planned :)

tolosaoldfan and DebugLogError like this.
  9. corjn

corjn

Hey,
    Just wanted to say that i'm really looking forward this tool, it looks amazing. I don't think Unity will show a decent and production ready realtime GI for 2020 or even 2021 (I mean, even UE5 Lumen won't be ready until the end of 2021). I think you asset could be a huge sucess on the asset store.

SRP is indeed a total mess right now. I now focus on mastering Built-In for my production projects, and will switch to SRP when it will be stable and better. You probably already know, but deffered rendering for URP should come out this year : https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...cs-with-the-universal-render-pipeline.886192/

"Deferred doesn't currently have an ETA; id imagine it could be available later in the year."

But yeah, I won't hold my breath. Just so you know there is still a market for Built-In :)

hopeful and Raul_T like this.
  10. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

I would buy if build in pipeline support.

ksam2, hopeful and Stardog like this.
  11. jjejj87

jjejj87

Instant buy for me as I use HDRP all day.

How does it fare in a large open world?

12. jjejj87

jjejj87

Any updates madgoat?

13. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

yep, please at least post some WIP with just the difuse debug view or similar. Cheers.

14. Raul_T

Raul_T

No news at the moment. Most of our development time goes into finishing our game now.
    Related to your other question, should do the same in open world as with interiors, since its screen space. We use it in our open world game at the moment with no issues.

Will try to do that soon :)

15. Lad-Ty

Lad-Ty

Hiii! :) I just wanted to post here to let you know I'd be very, very interested in your asset :) I wrote a SSGI for the legacy forward rendering, it worked though wasn't optimized at all for now. And would for sure prefer an asset from someone that knows how to properly write postprocesses with the new rendering pipelines/post processing stack/supporting HDRP and all. So, here to show my interested in this, if that is something that would help you later, knowing that people really want/need this (obviously rather sooner than later) :)

Raul_T likes this.
  16. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Keeping an eye on this!

Raul_T likes this.
  17. DGordon

DGordon

Why is this not out yet? :(

NotaNaN, rnner9000, look001 and 3 others like this.
  18. Freznosis

Freznosis

Posting just to follow development. :) Take your time.

19. TyGameHead

TyGameHead

This looks promising hope it works for urp and built in pipelines

20. hopeful

hopeful

This would be awesome if it actually existed. But since it doesn't, I'm buying a different solution instead.

21. Game_DevKH

Game_DevKH

So there is no hope for this asset to come out. The developer already deprecated all his assets from assetstore! Or at least hope that developer's situation is better, so he could make way for this asset to come out one day!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Freznosis likes this.