Search Unity

Games [WIP] Listen to Mars. Insight lander education application

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by vicator, Jan 2, 2019.

1. vicator

vicator

I recently started building an education application that will showcase the NASA Mars InSight lander. The goal is to create a simulation of its operation and allow users to learn about the different technologies equipped on the lander while learning how these technologies will be used for science. I am not affiliated with NASA.

Below is a very early and crude video of the application, it basically only shows the deployment of the SEIS seismometer module. This module will listen to vibrations from Mars. In a couple of weeks the lander will deploy its weather protection shield and cover the seismometer and shield if from external signals.

You can learn more about the SEIS on NASAs site:
    https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/spacecraft/instruments/seis/

Application content
    I've added a sound that is captured by the device on the lander.
    There is a simple simulated weather effect.
    The textured soil right infront of the lander (about 2x2 meter) is created via photogrammetry from the camera mounted on the arm of the lander.
    The rest of the landscape is a simple terrain - it is not mapped to the mars landscape.

I am using a HTC Vive headset in a large room scale setting. Since the lander is 6 meter in length when its solar arrays are deployed the tracked space need to be big. I have yet to add teleportation / smooth locomotion.

Next update will feature some interesting learning elements for the arm and hopefully its grapple.

Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
    3D Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
    Audio Credit: CNES/Cornell

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Mark_01 and Bartolomeus755 like this.