Search Unity

WIP Legend of Sphero

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by RavenOfCode, Jul 23, 2015.

1. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

New web demo: http://gamejolt.com/games/legend-of-sphero/84561 Please leave a comment :)

Over the last few weeks I started to work on a 2d runner, currently im calling it Legend of Sphero.

Basically its a 2d runner with worlds/levels, enemies, weapons, abilities.

Currently:
    Its a single level endless with 14 abilities, 5 basic enemies, 2 bosses.
    Hopefully:
    It will have 5 worlds, 20 levels, 5 bosses, 20 abilities, 15 basic enemies, achievements, a upgrade system.

With very simple cartoon graphics, and a variety of enemies, the game is simple to play yet hard to be good at.

Here are some screenshots:
    Improved.png
    My next job is finishing/redoing the UI and other graphics, then start working on a world map.

Heres a gameplay vid of version 0.4.0 and 0.5.0

Here is some stuff on all the abilitys of the game.
    Weapons:
    Sword throw, a short ranged thrown sword dealing 3 damage, 8 second recharge.
    Blade throw, 2 mid ranged blade effected by gravity and deals 1 damage, 4 second recharge.
    Fireball, a long ranged spell dealing 1 damage and can multi hit, 12 second recharge.
    Laser, a fast ray of light dealing 1 damage to a Max of 3 enemies, 5 second recharge.
    Shield, a energy shield that protects you capable of taking out 5 enemies, 41 second recharge.
    Angelic Wings, a set of wings that grant you a bonus armor and triple jump, 50 second recharge.
    Throwing Knife, very similar to blade throw yet is only 1 blade and if you hit an enemy it recharges much faster if you miss it recharges for much longer, recharge 5 seconds, faster recharge 1 second.
    Earth Blade, very similar to fireball yet it recharges faster and your jump is decreased, recharge 5 seconds.
    Arrow Storm, creates 10 arrows that each deal 1 damage, 8 second recharge.
    Mega Laser, a giant laser that can destroy 10 enemies, 8 second recharge.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Almost finished with the UI, due to a busy schedule this week I probably will have a web demo/gameplay vids up by next friday.

Still its a very early stage in the game, and has alot more before its finished.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  3. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

So I finished the UI, and some added highscore/and a new weapon (more of an ability as it grants triple jump), then a storm came and knocked out my power, unfortunatly I lost my scene (and my UI as I was going to back it up later that night). Long story short I got my UI back up and working, yet my game is not registering taps/clicks when its going, it only registers in the menu... Hopefully I will get this fixed in the next hour or so, and be able to put a web demo up friday.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  4. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

This will become a great game. Only the graphics need work, but still its good.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  6. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Yeah they do, if you can't tell I'm not an artist.;)

7. carking1996

carking1996

Looks good, improve the sprites!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  8. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

For you sprites, in the import settings, turn "Filter Mode" to "Point" to make you sprites hard edged rather than blurred. This game looks really cool though!

theANMATOR2b and RavenOfCode like this.
  9. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I have been really busy lately but I managed to redo the enemy death scripts, so theres now blood effects (and they can have hp and stuff), hopefully I will be able to make it so different weapons have different effects like fireball burns them and sword cuts them ect. I also added some new terrain its still not finished but I think its alot better.

10. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I got a lot of work done today as far as graphics goes, I redid the player so he has 7 forms (normal, armored, angelic, wizard, fire, mystic, rock) I also started work on more terrain and got a somewhat working world map. My next job is to add 4 new abilities (power shield, blade storm, throwing knife, boulder smash), finish world 1 and add achievements (to unlock new skills).

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  11. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

Looks pretty good m8 :) Use this b8 and make your f8 , so people can apprec8 and you can celebr8.
    Ok jokes aside , I really love the graphics! It reminds me of retro games that I loved! Keep working on it and you'll get a very good looking game done :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  12. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Thanks :), Im working hard on this and its turning out well... (I hope;))

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  13. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I added a gameplay vid to the first post, and started my upgrade system, its a little different than most so heres how it works: Basiclly you start with 2 weapons (sword throw and blade throw), then you complete achievements to release a book that contains how to use the next weapons. However sometimes completing the achiement can also release a special guardian who will fight you.

Also I started to get throwing knifes working. :)

I will be started up school again this week and will be unable to do much (even thow this week is like orientation and has some 1/2 days and stuff).

Hopefully I will finish the gameplay mechanics in the next month or two and be able to just to enemies and level design.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Mothil likes this.
  14. Mothil

Mothil

Hey, this is fun!
    Looking forward to seeing more. :p

RavenOfCode likes this.
  15. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Sounds cool! Except for the school part. :(

RavenOfCode likes this.
  16. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Thanks, and lol :p

Haseeb_BSAA and Mothil like this.
  17. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

So I may or may not have stayed up till two last night ;) But I did alot of stuff in those 6 hours I had... :)

Heres a list of the new stuff:
    Redid the bonus health system (no one probobly has any idea what that way anyways, and thats why I changed it) so its now armor pick ups.
    I added 4 new weapons: knife throw, earth blade, arrow storm, and mega laser (see main post > spoiler for the abilties).
    I also redid Angelic Wings visuals.

Heres a little video of the stuff:

Also I updated the gamejolt:
    http://gamejolt.com/games/legend-of-sphero/84561

Also I was wondering what you guys think of the weapons, if you have any suggestions as of new ones feel free to tell me and I will try to put it in. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    Mothil likes this.
  18. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Angelic Wings and the Armor are my favorite so far.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  19. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

This reminds me so much of Ghost n Ghoblins! Can't wait for it :D Keep up the good!
    M8 , throw your b8. Put your best effort in 8. Don't make it l8. Fix a d8 , make your f8. We will w8.
    Finally when we will play , we could appreci8 and you will celebr8.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  20. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Just playing the webplayer and I encounter an issue; sometimes when I press the mouse button to jump it doesn't jump, so I die. It works sometimes when it restarts, but nonetheless still a bug.

21. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

With yesterday and today being half days, I had alot of time to get stuff done.

Born in Fire Update (v0.4.0)
    New Stuff:
    1. Im making names for my updates, reason: why not :p
    2. Added fireblade [weapon].

Similar to earth blade, yet it deals the new fire debuff to enemies, and it doesnt change jump.
    3. Added fire/poison effects to enemy deaths.
    If a weapon deals fire it with burn the enemy, if the weapon deals poison/blade if the enemy is over 1 health it will poison, otherwise it will just kill it, fire/blade will deal fire if the enemy is over 1 health, otherwise it will just kill it.
    4. Added fireblast [weapon].
    A sprout of fire that deals fire damage.
    5. Added Meteor Strike [weapon].
    Basicly a rain of 200 fireballs.
    6. Added armored enemies.
    Normal enemies with 2 health.
    7. Back buttons on menu now work.
    Do I need to explain?
    8. Weapon types.
    There is 5 weapon types:
    Blade: deals 1 damage.
    Fire: deals fire only.
    Fire/blade: deals 1 damage and fire.
    Poison/blade: deals 1 damage and poison.
    Energy: kills enemy.
    9. Immunites.
    The yellow enemies are immune to fire damage.
    Mages are immune to poison damage.

If you have any questions, comments, or stuff you want in the game, just ask :)

Also if you want you can post a screenshot of your scores :)

I updated the gamejolt.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  22. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I will take a look at that, Ive had a few friends say that to me, even though I have never had that issue. Maybe something with the way the terrain "regenerates" the player jumps.

23. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

What do you mean by regenerating the jumps?

24. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Basiclly you use up your jumps by jumping, then if you come in contact with something with the 'terrain' tag you get your jumps back.

25. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Ah, so it might have a problem with detecting the terrain.

26. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

New Update Hero (v0.5.0)

So my school started up in full swing and I have been SUPER busy... :eek:

But I manages to put together a few hours to work on my game.

New Stuff:
    1. Heros:
    You can have 1 hero at a time and they are used for helping you, currently there are 4, basicly they are bots who help you.
    Nevia: Your long lost brother? Nobody knows... all they care about is that he is good at throwing those blades.
    Lightnor: A skilled warrior who uses the lightning elemental blade.
    Avani: A powerful mage who can blast alot.
    Ragar: Axes are his solution to everything... and he has alot of them.
    2. Bug fixes: That annoying glitch having to restart after selecting a new item is no more.
    As well as the enemy mages magic being messes up.

The gamejolt is already updated:
    http://gamejolt.com/games/legend-of-sphero/84561

Please leave a comment, criticism, or something you want in the game (weapon, hero, world, or enemy). :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Whiteleaf and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  27. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I went back over all my weapons today (as well as making the first boss :)). And I felt that some of them are kinda boring and to average. :eek: So I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on some new weapons/abilities or even enemies, heros and stuff. :)

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  28. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

So after 2 weeks of hectic school, swim, and soccer, I managed to grab a few hours this weekend to work on Legend of Sphero. :)

New Update (v0.6.0) Boss of Magic
    Bosses:
    Boss 1:
    A melee boss with 1 stage and 15 health, pretty easy to kill even with the most basic weapons, takes like 1 second with metior strike, or a few lasers. :)
    Boss 2 [the art is just a placeholder]: A powerful ranged boss with 3 stages and 75 health, he is immune to fire and used to be impossible but after 20 mins of nerfing he seems killable now :)
    Dealing Boss's damage: They take damage on type of weapon: fire = 2 damage, poison = 2 damage, energy = 3 damage, magic = 2 damage, blade = 1 damage. The type is pretty easy to tell what is it, laser is energy, fireblade is fire, earthblade is blade, arrow storm is blade, ect.
    Magic: Similar to fire/poision its a new effect.
    Magic Blast [weapon]: A blast of magic dealing large damage.
    Also working on added descriptive text for each weapon, so that feature is not finished.

I updated the gamejolt.

I will post a gameplay vid as soon as possible.

Please leave a comment, and maybe something you want in the game :)

29. QFSW

QFSW

Very fun game :)
    I think the art and UI could definitely be improved, however you got solid gameplay going and thats good
    keep it up ;)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  30. Stormize

Stormize

I like your game's idea, it's unique. Although, as mentioned by others, do work on the game textures and UI. This will definitely be a great game if implemented correctly.

RavenOfCode likes this.