Search Unity

Games [WIP] Left Turn Legend - Oval Circuit Racing, with a Twist!

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by RLin, Feb 10, 2021.

1. RLin

RLin

Hello everyone!

My name is Raymond, and I've been developing Android games with Unity for over 6 years now. My latest work in progress is a wacky, over-the-top endless racer that parodies oval circuit racing leagues like NASCAR. Players drive endlessly in an oval circuit, trying to survive for as long as possible while crazy crashes go on. Powerups to repair or enhance the player's car spawn from time to time to add to the fun.

All of the in-game art, including 2D textures and 3D models, as well as the programming is done by me. The game uses custom shaders in order to achieve the flat shading on the models without having to duplicate vertices in the source meshes. It also features custom image effect shaders for the full-screen bloom effects.

I've already published two devlog videos for the game: one on New Years Day, and the second update just now! Take a look if you want:

2. RLin

RLin

My third devlog/progress update is up on YouTube! This time, I focused on creating pixel-perfect decals for oil spills and other obstacles and working on a system to render a large crowd without being too performance-intensive for mobile devices.

3. RLin

RLin

After working some more on the game, devlog #4 is here!

Devlog #4 focuses mostly on the bespoke font and logo which were created for the game, and also goes over some gameplay changes and additions I've made with pit road and a complete overhaul of the points system.

4. RLin

RLin

Devlog #5 is here with some huge features! I've created a decal system for the game from scratch, complete with tons of fake brands that parody American corporate culture.

Jmonroe likes this.
  5. RLin

RLin

With Devlog #6, I've bumped the number of game modes all the way up to three while also adding lots of new cars and powerups.

kittik likes this.
  6. kittik

kittik

Really well made Dev logs and an exciting game!

I look forward to being able to play the game when ready. Watching this thread.

RLin likes this.
  7. RLin

RLin

To start off the new year, Devlog #7 is here with new content! Of particular interest are some image effects I wrote to spice up the powerups.

kittik likes this.
  8. RLin

RLin

Haven't posted in a while...but I'm getting pretty close to release! I'm targeting a release date of about ~1 month from now. I'll be uploading a final devlog just before the launch as well.

Here's my most recent devlog:

9. TestOneDev

TestOneDev

It's been pretty much 2 years now since the first devlog. I'm curious how you would see the development, when looking back?

Do you think development was mostly hard?
    Do you consider the progress as fast (based on invested work time, not calendar time ;) )?
    What learnings would you take out of your experience?

Maybe you can share some insights?

10. RLin

RLin

The final devlog is here....

11. RLin

RLin

Hi! I shared some insights on this in the conclusion of my final devlog.

This is my second major project, so I think I mostly already figured out all of the big kinks to work through with game development. I'd say that progress on this project went way faster compared to my first one as a result - I was able to get through things pretty efficiently since I had a clear goal in mind and had already figured out how to work with the necessary tools.

In terms of what I learned, a lot of it came down to refining my project management skills - i.e. keeping code clean and making sure everything stays organized. Doing so from the start of Left Turn Legend means that there is much less technical debt to deal with in this game compared to my first, which is honestly a pain to update due to how disorganized the code is lol.

12. RLin

RLin

After over two years of gamedev and 10 devlogs, Left Turn Legend is finally here! I've released it for both Android and iOS.