Search Unity

[WIP] HTC Vive Controller Events Using UnityEvents

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by TrickyHandz, May 16, 2016.

1. TrickyHandz

TrickyHandz

While I have been learning to use all the different inputs from the HTC Vive controllers, I put together a small component that uses UnityEvents to populate behaviors for button presses, releases, and touches. At the moment, I am primarily using this for my own prototyping, but I was wondering if anyone else would find this useful.

The component will trigger events for the following at the moment:
    • Trigger Pressed
    • Trigger Released
    • Grip Button Pressed
    • Grip Button Released
    • Touch Pad Pressed
    • Touch Pad Released
    • Touch Pad Touch Started
    • Touch Pad Touched (i.e. touch pad is actively being touched)
    • Touch Pad Touch Ended
    • Application Button Pressed
    • Application Button Released
    Here is the inspector as it stands right now:
    ViveUnityEvents.png

If you would find this useful please let me know what your expectations of such a system would be and if there is anything you think would be a nice addition to it. Thanks in advance to anyone that is willing to give me their thoughts on this.

ViktorKom, getwilde and MS80 like this.
  2. scottunity

scottunity

Yes, looks worthwhile if you're just starting developing for vive to determine how the different control calls happen and their sequence.

3. getwilde

getwilde

This looks great! I just got something working last night, but it's not pretty. This would have been (and would still be) very handy.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    TrickyHandz likes this.
  4. TrickyHandz

TrickyHandz

@getwilde, Thanks for the quick comment on this. Right now everything I have is set up rather simply. I am considering creating a custom subclass of UnityEvent to tie it in better with the SteamVR toolset. As I work more on this I will post updates...probably some more to come later on this week.

5. Pepe-Hoschi

Pepe-Hoschi

Looks really handy. Just what I need to trigger some UI stuff. I started yesterday to implement some UI code for the Vive controller. Your solution looks much better and far more advanced :D

TrickyHandz likes this.
  6. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Heyyy! Very cool. Though I fear it may be short lived due to likely having native implementation in unity soon, it's still very handy to have right now for some folks. Never hurts having a choice of another road to go down. Thanks! :D