Search Unity

[WIP] Gyruss -- classic arcade tunnel shooter for mobile

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by justicar, Jul 25, 2015.

1. justicar

justicar

Hi Everyone,

I like classic '80s arcade games. They're simple, hard, and addictive. And a lot of times they seem like they'd do well on mobile. One of my favorite games is Gyruss, which was basically Tempest + Galaxian.

The end goal is for release on Android and iOS. It'll be a virtual thumb wheel and button for controls. I kind of doubt there will be tilt controls, but I might try it.

Here's the first public demo...
    Gyruss prototype weblink

Note that it likely won't run in Chrome because Google are idiots. This might help: Enabling NPAPI in Chrome v42+. I haven't tried it. Unity still works fine in Firefox, for now.

Mouse to move around in circles, LMB to fire. When the three triangles show up, shoot the off-colored one in the middle for the power-up. In addition to all the enemies, you can destroy asteroids and satellites, but not meteors. Simple

Most of the game mechanics are implemented. We have a couple gotchas still to add.

I'm sorry the art looks bad. There are seven assets in the entire build that are permanent, everything else is a place-holder. Even the font is temporary. It's very simple and very short right now, with just a few levels.

Right now it's a straight clone, right down to the music. Obviously this will change.

I'd appreciate any feedback, preferably of what you'd like to see added to a game like this. Just bear in mind that it's supposed to be a simple game, so there's not going to be an involved upgrade path. But I'd still be curious to hear your ideas.

I'm actually not the programmer; just the wizard behind the curtain. He might choose to jump in to answer an technical questions.

Oh, and a free brownie button to anyone who can come up with a good name for the game.

2. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. justicar

justicar

Thank you for drawing that to my attention. I do actually take that quite seriously. Fortunately, I have a fair amount of experience in this field. Rest assured that the infringing elements will be removed before the game is released. Thanks.

theANMATOR2b likes this.