Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games WIP - Guardians of Subterrania

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by JamesArndt, Jul 14, 2023.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

I have officially kicked off development of my indie game, Guardians of Subterrania. This is a first look at the logo for the game. There are variants that I will produce that include a grunge/rusted appearance and an overgrown/vegetation appearance. The original artwork was produced by the very talented @yosiasebastian on Fiverr. I’ve created this vector version of the logo and modified aspects of it to better suit various marketing purposes. The logo will likely undergo revisions and different modifications based on marketing use cases, but at this juncture I have an Illustrator version of it that can scale to any resolution without loss of quality.

The game is an action adventure title with roguelike elements. The intended platforms are initially Steam, itch.io and the Xbox Games Store. Estimated date of completion would be Spring of 2024. I'll use this thread to share development updates/milestones. If you're interested in following development I've set up a Discord server at -> https://discord.gg/AnQWmThx8Z

And in case anyone needs clarification, this is my own indie game being developed in my off time and weekends and is not affiliated with my role at Unity as a Senior Technical Artist. Any and all opinions or expressions I communicate around this project are my own.

2. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

I've continued working on the website today. Updated the CSS and HTML for a better responsive layout on lower resolution devices i.e. mobiles and tablets. Optimized the game logo with compression to reduce the file size, so all (3) swapped logos are less than 1mb in file size. "Swapped" meaning at different resolutions I use a different resolution version of the logo. For desktop it's a 1600px wide logo, for mobile it's a 900px wide logo and for very small devices it's around 600px or so in size. I've also created a CTA on the webpage with a funnel to Discord. CTA stands for call-to-action and it's important aspect of building community.

http://www.guardiansofsubterrania.com/

3. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

There hasn't been much to show off for the last week or two. I've been dealing with a major family issue - the death of my younger brother, Jason. I took a few days off of work. It's be difficult to find that creative spark, when grief has been consuming most of the heart and head space. There has been time to contemplate and think deeply about a lot of things around this. I've made a decision to channel these feelings into the personal project I've committed to - this game. This is an act of will and a conscious decision. I don't think it's going to be easy, but as many know, creating something from nothing is never easy. Especially when it's scope encompasses so many disciplines. I'll make this game, not just for myself, but in the memory of my brother.

adamgolden likes this.
  4. Kreshi

Kreshi

my sincere condolences :(

JamesArndt likes this.
  5. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

Follow progress on Discord - https://discord.gg/fAewhxmpmH

In this update, I talk about my current focus, which revolves around the game’s Game Design Document, the core pillars of the game and the refining of its design and concepts. I strongly believe that the design of an application is the most critical aspect of the process. It deserves ample time and work to ensure its solid. This involves documenting and iterating on the game’s systems, mechanics, core pillars, gameplay loops, rendering aesthetics, and gameplay feel to create a robust foundation.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
    adamgolden likes this.
  6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

Update from earlier in the week and forgot to update this thread. Folks at Atari and I are still sorting out why my bundles won't run when deployed through their storefront. However thanks to Ian Weeks Atari Uploader Tool I was able to very quickly get my Unity executable deployed to the VCS. This is a side-by-side capture of the Unity compiled build running on the Atari VCS console next to the Xbox Series S console. I was checking the project's stylized water shader and if there would be any issues with compiling and rendering. So far, so good. Looking forward to pushing the limits of the VCS and it's rendering capabilities. I know it's performance constrained, but solving performance issues has been my development specialty over the last 16 years or so.

adamgolden and Kreshi like this.
  7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

In this development update I talk about my current focus, which involves establishing cross-platform input management. Thanks to the Rewired input package I was able to quickly support the Atari VCS, Windows Desktop and the Xbox Series S platforms. #unity #indiegamedev #gamedesign

adamgolden likes this.
  8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

9. kdgalla

kdgalla

While it's good that you're doing the responsible, sensible thing (focusing on the fundamental systems that will make the foundation of your game) I'm also pretty sure us random gawkers want to see some juicy screenshots and evocative promo art! Where's the fancy window-dressing? :p

Seriously, though, the working title caught my attention. I'd be interested in learning more about the intended setting and artistic direction of the game.

Trigve and JamesArndt like this.
  10. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

11. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

Here is a first-pass complete look at the main menu screen for Guardians Of Subterrania. While this is a 2D proof of concept, the final main menu scene will immerse you in a 3D environment, enhanced by real-time lighting and volumetric effects.

If you're interested, follow the game's progress on Discord-> https://discord.gg/fAewhxmpmH

kdgalla and adamgolden like this.
  12. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

Join me behind-the-scenes as I dive into the making of my upcoming indie game, Guardians of Subterrania. Don’t miss this peek at the game’s main title screen. I’ve taken community feedback and adapted aspects of the design. It’s still a work-in-progress. Check it out and feel free to share your thoughts.

marteko likes this.
  14. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Unity Technologies

After taking in community feedback I've implemented a few changes that I feel make the overall image stronger. I've removed the second light source, I've moved the artifact to the center third of the screen, I've also created a small fracture to ground the artifact within the stone surface and I've curved the menu button text labels.

Discord -> https://lnkd.in/eiyaprVA

warthos3399 and marteko like this.
  15. warthos3399

warthos3399

Nice update, glad you removed the 2nd light source, and moving the artifact more to center is best. Like the symbol/icon used beside Continue. It fits, and a nice font to boot for the menu... :)

JamesArndt likes this.
  16. NeilB133

NeilB133

Love the menu, very sleek and beautiful art work :)

JamesArndt likes this.