Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Utilities [WIP] Geek Inspector Addons 1.0

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by 3dmars, Dec 22, 2020.

1. 3dmars

3dmars

Hello, Geek Inspector Addons are plugins for Unity, extending the Unity Editor, simplifying some tasks and providing missing functionality by e.g. adding extra context menu items (Geek Context Menu). Instead of installing a big, complex plugin, developers will be able to install only addons they really need. However, addon bundles will be available too.
    EXAMPLE ASSET

EXAMPLE
    MOVE example: MOVE the range <4, 7> to the list or array start. It will become <0, 3> and LOCKED. Next, MOVE the LOCKED range <0, 3> by +2. It will become <2, 5> and LOCKED. See the animation below.

10-annotated.gif

Geek Inspector Addons are planned to be a part of a bigger project - Geek Editor Addons (or just Geek Addons). Currently, I am focused only on the Geek Inspector Addons, but if you have any ideas of addons that could become a part of the Geek Editor Addons, please let me know. Any addons not directly related to the Unity Inspector are planned to be included in the Geek Editor Addons.

I started creating those addons for my own projects, but lately I have realised that they could be useful for other developers. Hence the idea. If you have any thoughts on this project, please let me know - any feedback appreciated. I will update on the progress in this thread.

Currently, some plugins (visible in the image above) are awaiting final small corrections and tests with different versions of Unity. So hopefully, soon I will start releasing first Geek Inspector Addons. I am still working on GUIs.

As I said earlier, I would appreciate any feedback, but below you can find suggestions on what might be useful for further development of the Geek Inspector Addons:
    • Ideas of new addons (any missing and useful functionality) that could be provided either in Unity Inspector context menus or in the Unity Editor in general.
    • Suggestions on GUIs. I plan to release GUIs too. Initially, I planned to release small GUIs for different commands, which is still an option, but now I think that big GUIs grouping some functionality would be more useful. If you have any suggestions on that, please let me know.
    • What do you think about the idea of Geek Inspector Addons in general?
    • Ideas of addons that could be a part of the Geek Editor Addons - as I mentioned earlier, the Geek Editor Addons will contain commands not directly related to the Unity Inspector. It will be a separate project. If I collect enough ideas for addons, I will open a thread for the Geek Editor Addons project.
    • ... (I might add extra points in the future).
    Below you can find an up-to-date list of addons. More detailed documentation and other information is available at the Geek Inspector Addons website and at the links provided at the beginning of this thread.

Current Geek Addons

GameObject Menu COPY commands

“GameObject Menu COPY” commands appear in the Hierarchy view and GameObject menu:
    • 4AI → COPY
    • 4AI Geek Copy (submenu)
      • COPY Selected GAME OBJECTS - HIERARCHY ORDER
      • COPY Selection
      • COPY Selection - Alphanumeric SORT by NAME
      • COPY Selection - SORT by NAME
    Assets Menu COPY commands
    “Assets Menu COPY” commands appear in the Assets menu:
    • 4AI → COPY
    • 4AI Geek Copy (submenu)
      • COPY Selection - Alphanumeric SORT by ASSET PATH
      • COPY Selection - Alphanumeric SORT by NAME
      • COPY Selection
      • COPY Selection - SORT by ASSET PATH
      • COPY Selection - SORT by NAME
    Geek Context Menu for Arrays and Lists

Single commands:

Commands in submenus:
    More details in the documentation.

Below you can see some of the current GEEK CONTEXT MENU commands and submenus for arrays and lists.

GeekContextMenuAndSubmenus.gif

GEEK CONTEXT MENU for arrays and lists in the UNLOCKED range state (some of the commands):

GeekInspectorAddons2-Unlocked.gif

EXAMPLE
    SELECT example: Below you can see a gif animation presenting the SELECT-MOVE-RANGE Bundle 2, which enables selecting game objects or any objects (e.g. scriptable objects) based on a chosen array or list range containing object reference values.

select-range-lock-narrow-text-no-logo-905x720.gif

The whole framework is based on C# scripts and potentially you can use it to write your own addons. It will be documented later.

RELEASED ASSETS

RELEASE THREADS

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. 3dmars

3dmars

I was advised to present how the Geek Inspector Addons can be used to resolve different problems. That's why I will be updating the first post with extra information on example use cases. Below you can find how you can use the MOVE submenu to move ranges of array or list elements.

Example: MOVE the range <4, 7> to the list or array start. It will become <0, 3> and LOCKED. Next, MOVE the LOCKED range <0, 3> by +2. It will become <2, 5> and LOCKED. See the animation below.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  3. 3dmars

3dmars

Hi, soon I will release a bundle of several Geek Inspector Addons called: "MOVE-RANGE-LOCK Bundle 1: MOVE Array / List range + SET RANGE + RESIZE RANGE + LOCK + UNLOCK + RELOCK range - Geek Inspector Addons Bundle 1 + Core 1.0 for Arrays and Lists" (edit: after discussion with the Unity Team I decided to use the name "MOVE-RANGE-LOCK Geek Inspector Addons"). It will contain three families of addons called: "MOVE", "RANGE" and "LOCK". I will send more details once it's released. Below you can see some images presenting this bundle.

move-range-lock-v2-improved-v2-804x1080-geek-text-c256.gif

The bundle context menu items:
    move-range-lock-bundle-1-hires-c128.gif

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  4. 3dmars

3dmars

Hi, apart from the "MOVE-RANGE-LOCK Bundle 1", soon I will also release another bundle of several Geek Inspector Addons called: "SELECT-RANGE-LOCK Bundle 2: SELECT Array / List GAME OBJECTS in range + SELECT Array / List OBJECTS in range + SET RANGE + RESIZE RANGE + LOCK + UNLOCK + RELOCK range - Geek Inspector Addons Bundle 2 + Core 1.0 for Arrays and Lists" (edit: after discussion with the Unity Team I decided to use the name "SELECT-RANGE-LOCK Geek Inspector Addons"). It will contain three families of addons called: "SELECT", "RANGE" and "LOCK".

As in case of all Geek Inspector Addons, both bundles can be installed together. Context menu items related to the bundles will be merged.

I will send more details once it's released. Below you can see an image presenting the main context menu items related to "SELECT-RANGE-LOCK Bundle 2" with some annotations.

select-range-lock-no-logo-text-64-context-menu-cropped-c64.gif

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  5. 3dmars

3dmars

"MOVE-RANGE-LOCK Geek Inspector Addons"
    asset is live on the Unity Asset Store

Hello, the asset "MOVE-RANGE-LOCK Geek Inspector Addons" is live on the Unity Asset Store now.
    It is the first Geek Inspector Addons bundle I have released. More to come soon.

Link to the Release Announcement in the Unity forums where you can find more information.

147.png

141.png

41.png

>>> GET IT IN THE ASSET STORE <<<

>>> Release Thread <<<

"MOVE-RANGE-LOCK Geek Inspector Addons"

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. 3dmars

3dmars

Hi, soon I will release another bundle of Geek Inspector Addons called "COPY-PASTE-RANGE Geek Inspector Addons". You can use it to copy and paste many array or list elements. Below you can see the main context menu items.

copy-paste-range-menu-cropped-c64.gif

This bundle will not contain "LOCK" commands - LOCK, UNLOCK and RELOCK commands.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  7. 3dmars

3dmars

SELECT-RANGE-LOCK Geek Inspector Addons

Hello, the asset "SELECT-RANGE-LOCK Geek Inspector Addons" is live on the Unity Asset Store now.

This asset is a bundle of several productivity extensions called Geek Inspector Addons. It extends the Unity Editor and enables:
    • selecting game objects or any objects referenced by an array or list element range,
    • setting and resizing the array or list element range,
    • different operation modes such as a locked or unlocked element range mode.
    Link to the Release Announcement in the Unity forums where you can find more information.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  8. 3dmars

3dmars

Hello, the asset "COPY-PASTE-RANGE Geek Inspector Addons" is live on the Unity Asset Store now.

>>> Release Thread <<<

This is another bundle of "Geek Productivity Commands", extending the Unity Editor, available in the context menu displayed in the Inspector. The tool enables copy-paste functionality for arrays and lists - more precisely, array and list element ranges (ranges of array and list properties in the Unity Inspector). The main plugin features are:
    • copying an array or list element range and placing copied elements in the Geek Clipboard,
    • pasting array or list elements available in the Geek Clipboard into an array or list,
    • setting and resizing the array or list element range,
    • copying either a locked element range or unlocked range (based on a clicked index).

9. 3dmars

3dmars

Hello, soon I will release "CUT-INSERT-RANGE Geek Inspector Addons" - a plugin for the Unity Editor that enables cutting (copying to the Geek Clipboard and deleting), inserting and deleting elements in an array or list range. As usual, the commands are appended to a standard context menu related to array or list properties.

cut-insert-range-context-menu-cropped-c256.gif

10. 3dmars

3dmars

CUT-INSERT-RANGE Geek Inspector Addons

Hello, the asset "CUT-INSERT-RANGE Geek Inspector Addons" is live on the Unity Asset Store now.

This is another bundle of Geek Inspector Addons, extending the Unity Editor, available in the context menu displayed in the Inspector. The tool enables cut-insert-append-delete functionality for arrays and lists - more precisely, array and list element ranges (ranges of array and list properties in the Unity Inspector). The main plugin features are:
    • cutting an array or list element range and placing elements in the Geek Clipboard,
    • inserting array or list elements available in the Geek Clipboard at a clicked index in an array or list,
    • appending array or list elements available in the Geek Clipboard after a clicked index in an array or list,
    • deleting an array or list element range,
    • setting and resizing the array or list element range.

cut-insert-range-context-menu-cropped-c256.gif

CUT-INSERT-RANGE Geek Inspector Addons

BUY | WEBSITE | DOC | SUPPORT FORUM | BUG REPORTS | FORUM | DISCUSSIONS

11. 3dmars

3dmars

Hello, soon I will release "Inspector List & Array Toolkit" - a plugin for the Unity Editor that contains essential commands useful for lists and arrays (Geek Inspector Addons). As usual, the commands are appended to a standard context menu related to array or list properties.

inspector-list-array-toolkit-cropped-c256.gif

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  12. 3dmars

3dmars

Inspector List & Array Toolkit
    Hello, the asset "Inspector List & Array Toolkit" is live on the Unity Asset Store now.

This asset is a bundle of productivity editor extensions called Geek Inspector Addons. It extends the Unity Editor and enables:​

• moving a range of array or list elements from one place to another within a given array or list,
    • copying a range of array or list elements to the Geek Clipboard,
    • copying all array or list elements to the Geek Clipboard,
    • pasting array or list elements available in the Geek Clipboard into an array or list,
    • copying either a locked element range or unlocked range (based on a clicked index),
    • cutting a range of array or list elements and placing them in the Geek Clipboard,
    • inserting array or list elements available in the Geek Clipboard into an array or list at a clicked index,
    • appending array or list elements available in the Geek Clipboard after a clicked index in an array or list,
    • duplicating a range of array or list elements - once and many times,
    • deleting a range of array or list elements,
    • setting and resizing a range of array or list elements,
    • different operation modes such as a locked or unlocked element range mode,
    • locking all the list or array range.
    This Geek Inspector Addons bundle includes the following families of commands described below: “MOVE”, “COPY”, “PASTE”, “CUT”, “DELETE”, “INSERT”, “APPEND”, “DUPLICATE”, “DUPLICATE Nx”, “RANGE”, “LOCK”, “COPY ALL” and “LOCK ALL” commands. You can access them in the 4AI Geek Context Menu appended to a standard Unity context menu related to array and list properties.

13. 3dmars

3dmars

Hello, soon I will release "Editor List & Array Toolkit" - a plugin for the Unity Editor that contains essential productivity commands useful for lists and arrays (Geek Addons). Some commands are available in the GameObject menu and Assets menu. Inspector-related commands are appended to a standard context menu related to array and list properties. Comparing to the plugin "Inspector List & Array Toolkit", this one has some extra, non-Inspector commands that enable copying selected game objects or assets (their references) to the Geek Clipboard, ordered in different ways. Later you can paste those object or asset references into list or array properties in the Unity Inspector.

editor-list-array-toolkit-default-copy-game-objects-menu-commands-info-back.gif
    editor-list-array-toolkit-default-copy-assets-menu-commands-info-back.gif
    Inspector-related commands appended to a standard context menu related to array and list properties:

inspector-list-array-toolkit-cropped-c256.gif

14. 3dmars

3dmars

Editor List & Array Toolkit
    Hello, the asset "Editor List & Array Toolkit" is live on the Unity Asset Store now.

This toolkit enables essential commands useful for arrays and lists - more precisely, operations on ranges of array and list elements. All included "Geek Productivity Commands" are available in the GameObject context menu, Assets context menu and in the Inspector context menu related to list and array properties. The main plugin features are:
    • copying selected game objects or assets to the Geek Clipboard, ordered in different ways (e.g. by executing copy commands using the alphanumeric sort by asset file path or game object name),
    • moving a range of array or list elements from one place to another within a given array or list,
    • copying either a locked element range or unlocked range (based on a clicked index),
    • cutting a range of array or list elements and placing them in the Geek Clipboard,
    • inserting array or list elements available in the Geek Clipboard into an array or list at a clicked index,

This Geek Addons bundle includes the following families of commands described below: “GameObject Menu COPY”, “Assets Menu COPY”, “MOVE”, “COPY”, “PASTE”, “CUT”, “DELETE”, “INSERT”, “APPEND”, “DUPLICATE”, “DUPLICATE Nx”, “RANGE”, “LOCK”, “COPY ALL” and “LOCK ALL” commands. You can access them in the 4AI Geek Context Menu appended to a standard Unity context menu related to array and list properties. The command names are shortened in this description usually.

Inspector-related commands appended to a standard context menu related to array and list properties:

editor-list-array-toolkit-45.png

editor-list-array-toolkit-58.png

15. 3dmars

3dmars

Hello, soon I will release "List & Array Toolbox" - the biggest of the packages aiming at providing the Unity Editor with essential functionality for array and list properties. If you are interested in this plugin, there will be 50% discount on it for the first two weeks after the release. Comparing to the previous package "Editor List & Array Toolkit", it contains some new features: "SORT or REORDER" submenus (different for different element types), "SHIFT" submenus, "SELECT" commands and "FORCE PASTE" command.

list-array-toolbox-sort-game-objects-c256.gif

list-array-toolbox-sort-objects-c256.gif

list-array-toolbox-sort-numbers-c256.gif

list-array-toolbox-inspector-menu-unlocked-cropped-c256.gif

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  16. 3dmars

3dmars

"List & Array Toolbox" asset is live on the Unity Asset Store. Now it's 50% off ! The promotion ends in 8 days, so hurry up if you are interested in buying it. Below you can see a video presenting some commands you can use with the List & Array Toolbox plugin. Any feedback appreciated.

It is the biggest plugin containing Geek Addons and probably I will not release any new addons for some time because I need to focus on other projects e.g. Album3D (album3d.com, 4ai.io/album3d/).

List & Array Toolbox is a plugin for Unity that enables new context menu commands related to operations on ranges of elements in array and list properties such as: CUT, INSERT, APPEND, COPY, PASTE, MOVE, SHIFT, SELECT, DUPLICATE, SORT array or list elements in any range.

You will also be able to COPY Game Objects or Assets and PASTE them into e.g. lists at any index.

The main plugin features are:
    • copying selected game objects or assets to the Geek Clipboard, ordered in different ways (e.g. by executing copy commands using the alphanumeric sort by asset file path or game object name),
    • sorting or reordering a range of array or list elements e.g. object references by asset path or as in the Hierarchy view, alphanumerically, by object name, in reverse order, shuffling etc.,
    • shifting a range of array or list elements from one place to another within a given array or list (which are used like a ring buffer),
    • pasting or “force pasting” array or list elements available in the Geek Clipboard into an array or list,
    • selecting game objects or any objects referenced by an array or list element range,

17. 3dmars

3dmars

Hi, the promotion for the asset "List & Array Toolbox" ends soon - it's a New Release 50% discount and it will probably end today. If you work a lot with arrays and lists in the Unity Inspector, especially big ones, this asset can make your life easier.

unityunity