Search Unity

(WIP) Frequency - An Open World Survival Horror Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by BioXide, Apr 7, 2014.

1. BioXide

BioXide

Hey, I've been developing this game as a hobby for some months now and it's been going well so I decided to share it with the community. I'll be updating this thread as I develop the game.

Frequency Features
    - Open world survival horror with a strong focus on story, immersion and the horror aspect
    - This game will feel like an FPS Silent Hill mixed with Day Z and other survival games
    - Combat will be fast visceral, think of The Last of Us mixed with Dead Island, the game will focus more on horror and tension, but in my theory, you don't need to sacrifice a good combat system to make the game scary
    - Exploration, story and immersion will play a big part in the game
    - There will be 2 game modes, Survival and "Horde" (COD zombies), if you want to immerse yourself in the horror, play the survival, if you want to shoot kill or test the weapons out, play the "Horde" mode
    - The story will be rather unique terrifying
    - There's more stuff left to talk about, I'll be releasing small snippets of information as I continue the development

The "Team"
    So far it's just me, I'm doing mostly everything from programming, to the music and level design. I'm currently recruiting people to join me in this project, the positions are:

Level Designer
    3D Modeler
    Prop Artist

If you would like to join, send me an email to arolsouls@gmail.com with some proof of the work you've done and we'll talk, I'm a student so I'm mostly looking for people within the same skill level as me so we can grow learn together.

The Story
    I haven't fully fleshed out the story but basically it's not gonna be the same overused "virus outbreak which turns everyone into flesh eating zombies", the story is gonna be more psychological, it will use some contemporary themes and symbolism, which were inspired heavily by the Silent Hill games. I will go more into detail once the development ramps up.

The Gameplay
    It will be an FPS, there will be guns, there will be melee weapons, there will be a visceral-fast combat feel to it, but I will be doing my best in order to preserve the horror aspect and bring tension to it. Most horror games now-a-days are removing the combat from their games in order to make them more "frightening", but for this game I want to make the combat feel like Dead Island mixed with the visceral feel of The Last of Us. It will be Open World but not that "OPEN LIKE SKYRIM".

The game will feel like a non-linear Silent Hill game, the only purpose of the game is to survive, as you go along exploring new areas, buildings, you will learn more about the story and all the horrific things that happened, there's gonna be big buildings and indoor areas which will be heavy on the story/horror aspect, but will reward players with guns/ammo. It's gonna be single player for now, but it will feature multiplayer, for both game types.

Videos

This is the most recent video, which shows some new weapons and features, I still haven't worked on the level design or story that much, I'd rather fix the core mechanics and make sure everything works well before making the maps. And yes I'm partnered with the Curse Network, I was a Youtube partner before then switched to Curse.

Here's some of the older videos in chronological order:

2. MASSMACHINEGUN

MASSMACHINEGUN

Cool! Looks awesome!

3. BioXide

BioXide

Thanks!

Currently re-working the 1st map to open it up and allow more exploration, it will feature some creepy indoor areas, will be posting an update video in some days.

4. BioXide

BioXide

5. MASSMACHINEGUN

MASSMACHINEGUN

6. BioXide

BioXide

Yup, I just made some quick keynotes to have the placeholder set up, so whenever I feel like polishing the animations, I'll know exactly where to start. Hehe thanks, game is starting to look prettier, check out these pics I took, most recent build:

Some feedback would be helpful, new video coming out in 1-2 days and it's gonna include some core mechanic changes, looting, inventory, gui are working perfectly for now.

7. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

hi. i really suggest that you remove the smg(?) and the shotgun since they are not common in horror games. replace them with some old hunting rifles and melee weapons. do not place enemies in open space, place them in tight spaces and bottlenecks, giving the player a claustrophobic feeling like silent hill 2 (scene where james encounters a pyramid head in woodland apartments(?)).and the zombies, is it from the realistic fps prefab?

ps: i am a 3d modeler (environment only. i can't do organics)!

8. BioXide

BioXide

There's gonna be indoor areas added pretty soon, the game is an open world survival horror, hence the open areas and yes this is a heavily modified FPS prefab, most of the models are gonna be replaced, especially the guns so don't worry :)

If you want to model stuff for the game, hit me up on gmail, arolsouls@gmail.com and we talk :p

9. Mike_W_Toast

Mike_W_Toast

To Me it looks like the gameplay, i believe that i would buy this game once it is done! From a consumers point of view, i think that the player intractions are already great, what i would do is start working a little more on the animations and playermodels. I love the game, but the animations and NPC models are a turn-off for me. The hands look a little too similar to Team Fortress Hands. Try focusing now on the Models and Animations, keep them original so there are no copyright issues!

10. Fanttum

Fanttum

Cool concept (not that are aren't enough zombie games out there already) but keep up the good work!

11. BioXide

BioXide

Hey guys, game is still on development and it's been going nicely, a pre-alpha has been scheduled for release, enjoy the video, give feedback please!

12. BioXide

BioXide

Some gameplay of the pre-alpha version, doing some small play testing sessions to see how the game flows, there's still so much more to add, the beta version will include custom art & models, since the game now has a team behind it. Enjoy!