Search Unity

WIP FPS: NecroPixels 2.0

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by PhobicGunner, Mar 27, 2012.

1. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Alright, I know it's been awhile since I last posted any updates, and it's going to be a while yet. Bear with me, NecroPixels isn't dead yet (pun intended), just undergoing horrific genetic modifications and turning into NecroCity. I can't say much about NecroCity yet, aside from the fact that it involves a total rewrite/refactor of everything I've done so far. Luckily, this time I've enlisted the help of a friend, so things should go much smoother this time.
    And, as for gameplay, it's going to be slightly different, closer to Gears of War.

2. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

After watching gameplay videos of House Of The Dead, I couldn't help but notice how cool it is that zombies visually show signs of damage as you shoot them. When you shoot a zombie's torso, you can start to see it's ribcage poking out. When you shoot the zombie's head, it starts falling apart with each shot.
    I suddenly got that developer itch, so I threw together a shader in Strumpy which allows me to specify a Base texture and an Overlay texture, which is thresholded against six alpha textures, for the head, torso, both arms, and both legs (plus sliders to tweak each one, default at 0 means no damage, 1 means full damage / no skin left). Made a screen recording of the shader in action:

3. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

OK, I've been working on my art skills lately. I was able to come up with a fairly decent low-poly man (by low-poly, I mean around the level of HL/Quake)
    I recently discovered that Mixamo has an automated rigging tool, which will both allow me to rig my character, and allow me to use stuff from the Mixamo animation store. Initial results are very promising, and the entire process takes maybe a few minutes, at most. Now I just need to UV-map it :)

4. Mauri

Mauri

I read that you're using player.io. As i know they have networking, too. Why using Photon Cloud then?

5. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Because Photon Cloud has an API very similar to Unity Networking, with a couple extra features (such as access to player names) that Unity Networking doesn't. Player.IO only has support for sending and receiving messages, so I have to code in everything for object state serialization, RPCs, etc. And Player.IO operates on a different thread, so I also have to work around that. In general, I find Photon to be much easier to use. But Player.IO has other great features such as BigDB and GameFS that Photon doesn't, thus the hybrid approach.

6. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Finished the UV map for my character :) Not the most efficient, but should be pretty easy to use

EDIT: AARRGH, image not showing up, will try again later...
    Is anyone else having issues with not being able to upload images, or any other attachments for that matter? I tried both the Flash uploader and the basic uploader, and nothing works...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  7. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Just purchased NGUI in the hopes of using it for NecroCity, among other projects. My first experiments have been turning out really well. Had I tried to do this in Unity GUI, I think it would not have turned out nearly so well.

8. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

It is my solemn duty to regretfully inform anybody reading this...
    As far as this project goes,
    $21763912.jpg
    All jokes aside though the project is dead. Move along, nothing to see here...