Search Unity

[WIP - Demo Inside] NextGenSprites: Curvature, Reflection, Dissolve, Liquid and more!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by garrido86, Jun 16, 2015.

?

Do you have Demand for this Asset?

1. Yes!

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Nope.

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Not now, maybe for future projects.

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. garrido86

garrido86

The Gameplay looks already pretty sweet and the parallax scrolling is also well done! Congrats!

Regarding NGS, so far I will be able to submit the latest in two weeks but max 3 weeks.
    I have now finished all Helper Scripts and Playmaker Actions. Last step now is making proper example scenes and documentation including video tutorials. Stay tuned!

Dahlvash and Too-Nerd-To-Die like this.
  2. garrido86

garrido86

Quick Update:
    NGS's core is done and I even included experimental UI Shaders(they are good for refractions and dissolve).
    I also made a basic MaterialPropertyBlock dispatcher.

With the Dispatcher you can change at runtime as many Materials values as you want without having to use SharedMaterials or breaking dynamic batching! More details coming soon - also works with MeshRenderer!

Now I am creating a big chunk of extra Assets, currently I have over 30 dissolve patterns and also 30 diffused reflections:

A whole bunch of Flow Maps and Surface(Normal-)maps for Refraction will be also included.
    Oh, and before I forget to mention: All extra Assets will be constantly Updated for free!

Now I need to setup my Wiki and finally begin writing on NGS documentation... and also recording video tutorials with bad english :p

Dahlvash, zyzyx, tango209 and 2 others like this.
  3. abatcat

abatcat

wow, will definitely keep an eye on this :D
    Looks like something out of "Ori and the Blind Forest"

garrido86 likes this.
  4. garrido86

garrido86

I am happy to know that you like NGS and it's example Assets. But I must let you know, that these fantasy style Assets won't be included in the initial release but will be later included for free as a comprehensive pack with Trees, Bushes, Grass, Backdrops, etc. A SciFi Pack will also be included at a later point.

For the initial release I will use instead Kenney's Assets due to being very simple and better suited for making tutorials.

5. abatcat

abatcat

It's cool, any chance for a vegetation shader that would make trees and plants sway a little or sway when the character is nearby?(just an idea)

6. garrido86

garrido86

Oh actually, I think you can already accomplish a similar effect with the Lava shader but nonetheless I will investigate into this!

abatcat and Dahlvash like this.
  7. garrido86

garrido86

Wohoo finally working on the example Scene and Assets!

Reference

First test

Final result

Notice how the background behind the helmet gets distorted! That little effect was done by using a FX/Glass shader with a distortion-lens normalmap. We also got some gentle reflection on the helmet and general curvature along the Sprites-surface.You can also selectively change the glowing color of the dots and eyes by using a simple Mask :)

All used maps:

Next up will be some Enemies!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    nasos_333, abatcat and Dahlvash like this.
  8. garrido86

garrido86

Hey everybody,

I have been working hard on making the examples out of Kenneys Assets and I actually finished it but I have now realised that these aren't good enough to truly show what you can do with NGS. A weekend full of work is wasted. I am sorry for the further delay.

BUT... I now managed to come up with an Artstyle I like to use for NGS example scene.
    I present you Handcraft Land:

[Please wait for the GIF to finish to load]

This block is made of fabric, denim, wool threads and metal!

I think this shows pretty well the usage of Curvature, selective Reflection, selective Emission+Tinting.

Now look at this:

It now chrome but it is still the exact same sprite! You can do this by simply changing the emission color and switching the reflection to something brighter and bluish (NGS comes already with a whole bunch of diffused reflections for free). Easy peasy!

Anyway, I am again very sorry for the delay but I want to deliver NGS with high quality examples and documentation!
    In return all Handcraft Land Assets will be under a royalty free license, so that you can use them commercially for your own games at no extra cost!

Hopefully this friday I get to manage to significantly show you guys more, I have already some pretty great ideas!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Nyt0x and Manny Calavera like this.
  9. garrido86

garrido86

This weekend I was very productive:

Next are platforms which should be easy to make and then comes the fun part which is creating a Demo Scene out of my Wooly Assets! So far I am kinda good on track and I can finally work the next coming weekend on the Documentation/Wiki + recording tutorial Videos. This means that NGS will be in 2 weeks finally submitted to the Asset Store! :D

Edit: Mini Update
    Testing out some Level Layout with the Wooly Assets:

Still thinking about how to bring more reflective materials in this Wooly World :confused:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  10. garrido86

garrido86

Hey everybody,

It's been some time since the last Update, so I feel obligated to show you guys some progress I have made since. Because of that, I made a quick Video on the current state of the Demo! Sorry for my bad English and jump to 1:10 if you like to directly see the Demo in action.

Again, I like to mention that all Assets included in the Demo Scene are free to use for your own Games. I will also make an additional "more complete" Wooly Sprite Pack which all early buyers can claim for free!

nasos_333 likes this.
  11. Nyt0x

Nyt0x

Maybe add some zippers or buttons to add more metallic / reflective material to the scene ^^

12. garrido86

garrido86

Haha this was my first Idea but then i realized that it would look like a Final Fantasy game :p
    I think that I will add some glitter like this:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Nyt0x likes this.
  13. garrido86

garrido86

Great news everybody,
    you can try now the first preview of the Webplayer demo right now:

Webplayer Demo - Beta

Please note that this is beta Preview, which is about 75% finished and has several panels missing (Liquid, Lava, Glass, etc) and other bugs.
    Feedback and suggestions on the Demo are highly welcome!

Also regarding NextGenSprites release, so far I am very confident to finally submit it to the AssetStore the coming week :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    superwendel likes this.
  14. garrido86

garrido86

Hooray the Webplayer Demo is finally finished with all features!
    Try it out!
    WebGL version coming soon.

In the demo you can test the following features:
    • Curvature
    • Reflection
    • Advanced Reflection
    • Emission
    • Transmission
    • Dissolve
    • Glass
    • Glass/Particles (Bubbles)
    • Lava
    • Liquid
    • Liquid/Underwater
    Please let me know what do you guys think about the Demo!
    My next step is now finishing the Wiki/Documentation which should be done around next-week, after that I will finally submit NextGenSprites to the AssetStore :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    nasos_333 and Demigiant like this.
  15. abatcat

abatcat

Very nice presentation :) Would like to see the shadows in the demo too if possible.

garrido86 likes this.
  16. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Hey just tried out the web player demo and thought I would tell you how great it was. You have done an amazing job in such a short time too. I look forward to the day I can play with it in my projects.

garrido86 likes this.
  17. Demigiant

Demigiant

Awesome presentation! It makes it even more clear how awesome this asset is gonna be! :)

18. p6r

p6r

Very nice demo ! Great work !

6R

garrido86 likes this.
  19. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Will this work with 2.5D Games similar to DOOM or Wolfenstien 3d?

garrido86 likes this.
  20. garrido86

garrido86

Sure, I added an last Panel which presents shadows:

I should mention that shadows are rather experimental and you can only cast but not receive them. After NGS initial release I will investigate into some better solutions.

NGS was made for the SpriteRenderer which in turn was designed by Unity for pure 2D. I am not really sure if you can design a Classic Doom style game with Unity's 2D components - but if you can, then NGS certainly won't hinder you!
    If there is enough demand, I could also make a Version of NGS that works with the usual MeshRenderer.

Thanks! Much appreciated :)

nasos_333 and HeadClot88 like this.
  21. garrido86

garrido86

Quick Update:

I finished today the Demo scene which will be included in the final release:

I am also verry far with the Wiki and besides some articles missing, it's pretty much in a usuable state http://wiki.next-gen-sprites.com/doku.php?id=start
    In the meanwhile I was also fixing bugs on the shader and the material inspector - I also removed the Clip Shader family because I didn't saw much use in it. Anyway, next step is preparing for submitting to the AssetStore which I hope to do so at latest on friday. After that I will begin recording lot's of tutorials videos which I hope will be ready before NextGenSprites gets greenlit by Unity.

I hope you guys will love this :)

Dahlvash and superwendel like this.
  22. superwendel

superwendel

Looking forward to it being released soon, everything looks great!

garrido86 likes this.
  23. Dahlvash

Dahlvash

Any update on this project? I've been eagerly awaiting its release! :3

24. garrido86

garrido86

Hello Dahlvash, thanks for your interest, much appreciated! :)
    I am glad to tell you that, last week NGS has been finally submitted to the AssetStore and is awaiting for review and approval. In the meantime I am working on the Wiki and preparing recordings for Tutorials and etc.

Dahlvash, tango209 and Manny Calavera like this.
  25. garrido86

garrido86

A quick look on to NextGenSprites:

Can you guys understand me in this video? English is not my first language:oops:

Demigiant and Dahlvash like this.
  26. Dahlvash

Dahlvash

Looking great! Your voice is perfectly understandable, dont't worry ^^.

27. superwendel

superwendel

Your accent is slightly strong at certain times but you took the time to explain things very clearly and spoke at a good speed. No problems understanding you here. Thanks for making this video, I'm looking forward to it's release!

28. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Looks good , your english is good enough for people to understand what you mean I think , but you do sometimes use the wrong tense in words or incorrect plurality. For example it should be ' much for stuff ' rather than 'many more stuff ' and you are saying accordingly when really it should be according. I think you must like adding y's to the end of words just for fun.

29. garrido86

garrido86

Thanks for the honest feedback and I will work hard to improve my speech and fight the evil "y's" in me :)
    I will upload morning two new Videos on Scripting and animation with DoTween, I hope to present this time a more correct english!

30. garrido86

garrido86

Two new Videos - Scripting and Playmaker:

31. garrido86

garrido86

Since the approval process on the Unity AssetStore is still taking a while, I have uploaded in the meantime NextGenSprites to itch.io

And until NextGenSprites is released on Unity's AssetStore - it will be at itch.io on a 50% (25$) sale!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    superwendel and Manny Calavera like this.
  32. superwendel

superwendel

Instant purchase here. Excited to dig in.

33. garrido86

garrido86

Thanks Steven! I worked my butt off and hope that you like NextGenSprites. If you need personal guidance for your project with NextGenSprites, please do not hesitate getting in touch with me :)

34. garrido86

garrido86

The introduction Trailer is finally done:

What do you guys think? The voice over is obviously not me ;)

Anyway, I guess it is now Time to work on a proper thread for the Assets forum :)

Demigiant and Manny Calavera like this.
  35. garrido86

garrido86