Search Unity

[wip] Deep In The Forest | survival, roguelike, 2D-3D

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by crol, Apr 29, 2015.

1. crol

crol

Deep In The Forest (DITF) going to be action-adventure game with survival and roguelike elements. Core gameplay mechanics are focused on crafting, alchemy, magic and other related stuff.

Gameplay.

Core gameplay reminds Don'Starve survival mod, but my idea is to focus more on constant generation\regeneration of world around player, when whenever you go experience wont be the same. Something like Dungeon of Endless. Player would affect world in every possible way. Some random procedural events.

screenshot03.png

Game plot.

Currently I was more focused on developing core mechanics (so it looks really like Don't Starve) so my ideas about plot are simple.

One of them is that we are the new forester of magic forest. On one hand we should survive on other - protect this forest from .. itself.

Another plot is same but we are the young wizard\witch in magic forest. I like this one cause afffecting this world with magic in unexpected ways is what I want from game.

screenshot01.png

Developing.
    Currently im working alone from March 2015 and it is early stage when I'm just trying to add basic well known mechanics and see what is good even on mobile platform. When main mechanics will grow we shall see where it will lead.

Already added to game:
    • procedural generation of island worlds based on voronoi diagrams
    • basic player animations in engine which allows just redraw textures for new one
    • gathering wood, stone, gold, leaves, berries, branches, grass
    • picking dropped items
    • taking tools and weapons in hands (also torches)
    • crafting materials and tools
    • crafting placeable things and placing them even from inventory
    • day-night cycle, player stats - hunger and health
    • cooking on fire with a bit of workbench crafting style
    • basic AI for spiders (walking, hiding, attacking, night stage)
    There still a lot of work to do.

Platforms.
    Currently I'm testing game only on two platforms - PC and Android, i mean it works fine there.

Feedback.
    Im really interested in what others think about my work (except hey it just looks like DS :)) and about ways where to turn gameplay after I'm done with the core.

2. crol

crol

Because of performance issues have to turn shadows from campfire and torch Off but it looks not bad even without them (probably a bit better with pixel lightning for campfires). Got no idea how to save dynamic shadows for campfires while player can put as many campfires as he want.
    screenshot07.jpg

3. crol

crol

Experimenting with trees and lights

Attached Files: