Search Unity

[WIP] Commander Keen remake

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ronnie_0, Aug 19, 2013.

1. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Looks pretty cool! I have some criticism if you want :)

Is that overhead view between levels just to reach new levels or are there some gameplay elements too? if it's just to reach the next level I'd say it's a bit too much but I don' know for sure yet.

The controls are great, except for that small pause before jumping. If it's a conscious design choice then nevermind me, but if the idea is to make a more fluid platformer I would suggest getting rid of it.

The backgrounds look a tad intrusive. The first time I laid eyes on the level it was very difficult to tell what was on my plane and I could interact with from the background. Parallax from moving helps me tell things apart though.

2. Ronnie_0

Ronnie_0

Thanks for the criticism! Very well put, I appreciate it.

The first screen is the Map. It's where you travel from level to level. I did it in the style of Mario Galaxy just to see if I could, haha. The whole idea of this project is to recreate the DOS game Commander Keen, so the stuff like the map and jump mechanics are pulled straight from the original. So it's not really my intention to create a modern, fluid platformer with jump responsiveness like Rayman Legends. As far as the background elements, I do need a better system to differentiate the foreground from the background. Some kind of focal blur would be good, but I'm not sure on how to approach that.

3. zenGarden

zenGarden

Any news on that great game ?

4. Ronnie_0

Ronnie_0

Yessir, still steadily working on getting in new levels and items. I finished up the teddy bear and a couple of keycards today:

5. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

wow this is looking awesome. i first played it when it was just the black and white level, and it is really coming along. the world map is pretty sweet too.

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

Any news ?

7. der_r

der_r

This looks amazing. Please upload a build again. I'm a huge Keen fan and would love to have a play with this. :D

8. Ronnie_0

Ronnie_0

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good progress.
    The second level is pretty small and fast, the third is good , about the boss it seems i fired at him and it was remaining it's aura power only and door was still closed after i got books items ?

10. DocLogic

DocLogic

Looks great, some slick animations. I love the way the menu opens up/closes when you press space.

I just finished reading "masters of doom", have you read that? I bet Tom Hall would love to see Keen being remade.

The controls are a bit unintuitive, using C and X on the keyboard are a bit awkward. Tried using my 360 controller, also found that using "B" to jump felt a bit off.

11. FervInt

FervInt

This is fantastic... Keep it up!

I wasn't able to play the build....is there one up to play?

12. der_r

der_r

This is so good!

You bet. :D He actually did a kickstarter for a spiritual successor. Sadly it failed. He also dug up the old Commander Keen source (for 4-6 I think) and it's going to be open source soon.

13. alexfeature

alexfeature

Haven't looked at this in a while. Man you made amazing progress!
    Can't wait to see more.

PS: Make an IndieDB page :)

14. Ronnie_0

Ronnie_0

I've finished up the project and filed it in the finished works forum. Thanks for the feedback!

der_r likes this.
  15. zenGarden

zenGarden

The jumps are lot better now.