Search Unity

Games [WIP] Code:Outbreaker (Mid 90s Prerendered UNET Survival Horror)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by vyral13, May 30, 2017.

1. vyral13

vyral13

Hi all!

So for the last 12 months I have been working on an early PSX mid 90's survival horror project, or to put it simply a resident evil clone. Few reasons why I have gone the old school route, I can whip up a level pretty quick and prerender without having to optimise, the main reason though is I'm just currently one guy (and a sound man) and trying too make a triple A title ha is just not going too happen :D Also, I LOVED the old resident evil's 1,2,3!
    This is my first public project, well first game to be honest...and wow what a LONG journey...Game development....Its insanely hard (especially if your working on your own!) my respect for even the simplest of games/game dev's/modellers/assets has soared. Thankfully Unity has a very wide helpful user base! :)

Anyway, to cut it short...I am halfway through creating a prerendered (But not limited too), Multiplayer, mid 90's Survival Horror project template, that has slowly progressed over the last few months (from about 20 different scrapped projects) into a full game. :)

Here is a video I posted 2 months ago demo'ing the basic's of "Room switching", synced sounds, footsteps, gun shooting, basic character select and basic inventory system. Its all very simple, again this was 2 months ago and a lot has improved since.

I will have another video up at the end of the week with basic AI (can hunt/target all connected players within range, animations, health, basic attack all networked etc.

Characters are currently place holders, Honestly, will probably try and source a modeller/animator for the enemies/players as I want to get this as close as early psx as possible).

Below I leave you with a couple of prerendered backgrounds (Everything made in Unity on my ghetto PC with just on board 2015 Intel haha)! This game will run on ANY device (PC/Mobile)!

Thanks again!

[/IMG]

theANMATOR2b and PhilippG like this.
  2. PhilippG

PhilippG

Lovely! You want to share a story synopsis yet? :)

Good luck!

3. vyral13

vyral13

Thanks! Well, there comes another huge struggle, again much respect for story writers, and actually getting a decent story converted into games. That's why I decided to take the plunge and go the multiplayer route. I could have focused more so on a single player story driven version, but have decided to focus more on cooperative team based play instead, more a mixture of Left4Dead/Resident Evil Nemesis which = Resident Evil Outbreak games. Yes, the market is absolutely flooded with zombie games currently, most however are now first person action (don't get me wrong I love FPS games!).

Now the thing is the market is lacking classic survival horror, but there is a reason for that, the truth is classic survival horror (fixed camera's, tank controls etc) have all died out, and the reason for that is the fixed cam's, and the tank controls mostly (People don't like it), Plus we don't even need prerendered backgrounds anymore! :(

Anyway the reason Im building this project is mainly too keep myself occupied. Plus I love learning, especially C# :D

Thanks again!

theANMATOR2b and PhilippG like this.
  4. PhilippG

PhilippG

I agree, story is really hard. Before my current project I started a Metroidvania, and it's actually already quite far mechanicswise. But while I have a decent plot frame, I had lot's of difficulties finding a story good enough to pursue. Now its on ice, but I might continue someday.

Considering you saying you're still learning, going multiplayer is a bold move, Hats off!

theANMATOR2b and vyral13 like this.
  5. vyral13

vyral13

Thanks again! I originally thought early resident evil's were quite a simple game, and a multiplayer version well then haha! Oh well jump in the deep end! Hardest thing I find are the animations, which are actually very important...

I actually considered a top down version of this for mobile release, as tank controls don't work too well on mobile, but we shall see! Following your project! Looking great! Keep up the good work! :)

PhilippG likes this.
  6. PhilippG

PhilippG

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Keep up the good work. I think you'll find a nice (larger than you think) following with this type of game, ie retro Resident Evil, Silent Hill.

A couple little things you've probably already fixed.
    The girls hair is see through -
    The characters fade in/out when enter/leaving a room kinda slow. I'd speed that up x2 at least.

vyral13 likes this.
  8. vyral13

vyral13

Feedback noted! Thanks! No idea what happened to the hair in that video haha! All sorted! Characters, will be changed to a more psx look in time.
    In regards to the fade out, good shout, I will speed the fade in/out up. Funnily enough I spent a whole day replicating the old Resident Evil loading screens, only to remember we live in 2017, not 1997. So "room" transitions will more like early Silent Hill's just a quick "room" transition! :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.