Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games [WIP] Buildy Road

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Alan-Ward, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Splash_Main (sml).jpg
    (EDIT : Updated the image above to the latest loading screen - the text below is the orignal thread - latest updates in newest posts :) )

Hi all, I've been working for a few months on this and would be grateful for some feedback. Current target is Android, but you can try a WebGL Dev build here https://bittengames.com/brdev

What is it?
    A fast paced, vertical scrolling, road/track building game in development for mobile devices

The driver is heading your way fast - you must build the road ahead as fast as you can whilst avoiding all obstacles in your way - and don't let the driver reach the end of the line!

Current Features
    • Endless play.
    • Different vehicles : Cars, Trucks, Trains,
    • Different environments : Forest, Pine Forest, Snow Forest
    • Static obstacles, destructible.
    • Pick-ups - Dozers (let you destroy an obstcale), Coins.
    • High Score based on length of road
    Planned Features
    • Sound
    • Vehicles (unlockable) - Boats, Bikes, Spaceships, Bobsleigh(!), ...
    • Environments (unlockable) - Desert, Swamp, City, Alpine, Space, ..
    • Moving obstacles
    • Bridge pick-ups
    • Crossroads pick-ups
    • Challenges - link with existing track, create specific track layouts for bonuses, ...
    • Ad supported - For extra coins to unlock features, for revive, start with bonuses, ...
    Screenshots at https://bittengames.com/games and this thread :)

Trailer #1 (Showing original gameplay, not the latest)

Thanks for looking. Critical feedback is most welcome :)
    Al.

[EDITED] To include more recent images and videos

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Mauri and RavenOfCode like this.
  2. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Current Known issues:
    • Collectables will spawn in impossible to reach places - this is on the fix list.

Changes due to feedback:
    • The position of where the next track piece will go is confusing. I have a visual fix for this planned where there will be a short track piece under the cursor.

vv ## EDIT ## vv

I've moved the original screenshots from the first post to here, to keep the dev story and put more recent visuals first.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  3. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Today, I've introduced a new gameplay feature, moving platforms, which need to be used to get over the chasms.

Seems to work well so might be a keeper.

upload_2018-1-25_22-2-52.png

upload_2018-1-25_22-3-9.png

4. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi,

Been doing a lot of work on some underlying mechanisms with Buildy Road and adding some gameplay features.

Here's a gif of a new pattern matching challenge that will occur in certain zones - the plan is to reward success with a score multiplier or additional power-ups/coins - here's a first look

BuildyRoadPatterns4mb.gif

Updates:
    • Previous builds used arrays for tracking/culling all the obstacles/tracks/land pieces, etc, but this was proving more and more inflexible - so I'm trading a little performance by using colliders instead. This gives me much more scope for level design now.
    • Fixed - collectables appearing in inaccessible places.
    • Added - two types of moving platform and required death checking
    • Re-worked the procedural land generation - increased path choice in the more dense areas
    • Implemented a combo/pattern matching system as above.
    • Update the cursors to include a half-piece of the current track type - visually makes it clearer where the next track piece will go.
    I've not updated the dev build at https://bitttengames.com/brdev yet - but check it out if you want to get Buildy ;)

Cheers,
    Al.

5. carking1996

carking1996

Looks good. I just think the graphics can use some changes.The shader should be a toon shader, as well as a more toon style as that looks like what you're going for. Or if you wanna stay a little less toony, I'd highly recommend some more lighting on your textures, like this game. You can see it on most of the objects, including the trees specifically where there's gradients..

6. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi and thanks for the feedback - yes that should be on the list too
    • Fix shaders / make it look good :) !
    I'm just using the basic mobile/diffuse shader with a palette texture for most things. I'll have nose around and see if can find a better low-poly look... any suggestions anyone?
    Al.

7. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi,

Been working on integrating a tile map system I created for the game into the routines for procedural land generation. This uses a Blob Tile approach I based on the info found here : http://www.cr31.co.uk/stagecast/wang/blob.html

So land can now be dynamically created/changed at runtime whilst remaining seamless - giving me scope for much more interesting environments now... :)

As you can see from the screenshots, I've used this system, combined with the moving platforms above, for creating water/rivers and also just some holes in the ground as a test. You'll also notice that I've changed the shader to a flatter/more low poly feel, rather than the cartoony colours I had before... but this is till WIP.

Al.

BR-NewLand01.jpg BRNewLand02.jpg BR-NewLand03.jpg

8. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all,

Been working hard to finalise the tile map system to allow for infinite land creation within a small array of tiles, but that also allows for dynamic creation and destruction of the land in real-time. Had a few issues when the indices needed resetting but finally worked it out :)

Updates:
    • Tilemap system allows for dynamic destruction/creation on the fly.
    • Added falling rock obstacles to test the tilemap system.

Here's a short gameplay video demoing the features so far.
    Al.

9. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all,

Another little update for an obstacle type - floaty logs that sink - here's a gif.

BuildyRoadLogsPlay (2).gif

Al.

10. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all,

Just a small visual update here - but it has been a great introduction to shader writing for me! ... the logs now nicely fade below the water.

This was done using a vertex shader that fades the colour based on a world Y value. You can find the shader and more info in this thread: https://forum.unity.com/posts/3398967/

Al.

11. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all,

I been busy re-configuring a few things behind the scenes with the game, as well as adding additional obstacles.

Here's a gif of snowballs - appropriate with the weather we've just had in the UK!

BRSnowBallsnIce.gif

Updates:
    • New Obstacle - snowballs!
    • New Obstacle - Floaty Ice... (same as floaty logs, just different model)
    • Reworked the land meshes. The dynamic creation/destruction was too obvious on the surrounding land prefabs - ie looked bad.
    • Standardised all the mesh UVs to use consistent textures palettes - reworked all UVs in the game!
    • Texture palettes can now be swapped out to give different looks using the same assets e.g. winter/summer/autumn
    • Introduced a random 'decoration' routine to give the land more interest. (Yer so purdy...)
    • Added basic shadow caster/receiver to my custom shader. It works much better than the mobile/diffuse shader - not sure why - even on my target mobile device (galaxy note 2 - yes, it's old)
    • Added some particles effects here and there...
    I'll soon be updating the WebGL Development Version with the lasted build.

Thanks for reading - and any feedback always welcome !
    Al.

12. carking1996

carking1996

It certainly does look better!

13. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Thanks @carking1996 - As well as creating the shaders I also realised something was wrong with my lighting setup.

Annoyingly the main game lighting setup didn't seem to work until I remembered that I was additively loading the main game scene - and the lighting wasn't correctly set up up in the 'loader' scene - there wasn't any ambient lighting at all which was giving everything too much contrast! Oh the simple things...

14. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all,

I've just updated the WebGL Playable Development Version of Buildy Road - Check it out.

I'd be really grateful for some feedback on the gameplay if you've 5 mins. Thanks.

Here's a few more screen shots:

V3Selector01.jpg

V3Forest01.jpg

V3PineForest01.jpg

V3PineForest02.jpg

Cheers,
    Al.

15. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all,

Here's a quick gif showing that I've finally got multiple selectors working in the same scene. (Been bugging me for ages!)

Cheers,
    Al.

16. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all,

Today I've started working on a new environment - Desert. Here's a couple of WIP pictures.

I think I'm almost there with the colour palette. I just need to create a full 3D tilemap for the big rocks/cliffs so that it's not just a collection of rocky stacks, but a seamless plateau :) ... oh and extend the tilemap / land build systems to work with tileable obstacles too...

Al.

BRDesertWIP02.jpg BRDesertWIP01.jpg

17. SteveSync

SteveSync

I played it a couple of times, and it's actually pretty fun, although I've got a few bits of feedback.

First it didn't take long to load, but most of the loading was black screen and then the loading screen flashed up really quickly. After the game loaded it wasn't super obvious what to do next. I ended up clicking on the car icon and selecting a car, but then nothing happened, as I didn't realise I needed to click on the screen to start the game.

I feel like if you're good at the game then you'll usually be pretty far ahead of the vehicle, and if you die it takes a while for the vehicle to catch up, which can be a little bit frustrating.

Also I have no idea what the icon in the top right is. I collected 4 of them once, but not really sure what I can do with them.

But it's definitely fairly addictively entertaining :) Keep up the good work, it's looking really nice.

18. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi Steve - thank you for the feedback - it's great and glad you liked the game.

The loading screens are shortened in the web version just to get into the game quicker - the black screen was maybe the initial caching of the WebGL files... try it again and it should load quicker (if you haven't cleared your web cache)

I will be adding a tap-the-screen icon and a tutorial to help at the beginning as I know it's a little unclear.
    The 'dozers' as I call them allow you destroy an obstacle rather than it destroy you - something I'll include in the tutorial.

I have a couple of ideas about speeding up the 'waiting to crash when game over' situation... either bring up the retry menu as soon as it's game over, or speed the car/time up into the crash - or maybe a button to allow the player to super speed the crash.

Thanks again.
    Al.

19. carking1996

carking1996

Alan-Ward likes this.
  20. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

LOL - I've never looked at it that way before - now I can't see it any other way! Ok, I'll look to change it. TY for the link.

21. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all,

I've been working over the weekend to get my tilemap system working for destructible obstacles and also it makes the visuals that much nicer - compare this to the pic a few posts back...

BRDesert01.png

Also, here's a gif of the tile destruction is action... :)

BRDesert02.gif

I've also added a few small decorations (skulls) and am testing the Giant Tumble Weed obstacle...

Cheers,
    Al.

22. CrazyApplesStudio

CrazyApplesStudio

Looks good , i like it , game-play also feels fun.
    One thing that i found problematic is the camera follows the car(?), so i found myself trailing on the upper side of the screen with limited visibility , not sure if this is a design decision or nor but would be interesting if the camera was set to follow the builder and maintain it in the middle of the screen maybe.

23. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi and thanks for the feedback!

It's definitely one I need to get right. There's quite a few considerations about where and what the camera follows and I've tried quite a few options. The camera follows a median point between the car and cursor - following the cursor directly turned out to be a bit erratic as it moves in steps. But the distance the camera sits behind this point can easily adjusted.

But, there is a gameplay balance between having a nice lot of track as a buffer but getting too far ahead - it's more difficult to see behind obstacles due to the perspective and the vehicle speed increases. You also need to be able to see the road you've laid and where the vehicle is - keeping the cursor in the centre usually means you cannot see this.

The other factor is the target device - mobile. Using touch invariably means your hand covers part of the screen, so keeping the main play in the top half helps avoid a nuisance hand :)

24. CrazyApplesStudio

CrazyApplesStudio

Well , the vehicle would get in range if the cursor would be in the center , and that would alert you to an imminent collision?
    As for camera movement you can smooth the movement if you need it , adjust it to track somehow , the reason i pointed this out was that i found myself not seeing enough of the area ahead to decide which route to take at points , because i had very few tiles visible ahead.

25. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all,

Here's another update to the desert environment. Using the same fading shader as for the water effect I've now got this canyon fog going on...

BRDesertFog02.jpg BRDesertFog03.jpg

Cheers,
    Al.

26. carking1996

carking1996

Looks much more interesting!

27. soholivestudios

soholivestudios

28. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi @ec1studio, and thanks. Apologies for the slow response - I've been away.

I haven't got any audio yet but plan to work on that myself - I don't have any budget for outsourcing unfortunately...

29. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hey all,

I'm still working hard on the game even though I've not posted an update in a while.

Here's what's new...
    • New special obstacle for the desert environment - moving rock platforms, plus a windmill standard obstacle.
    • New environment - Swamp, featuring:
      • Water based level using boats
      • Updated level building algorithms
      • Obstacles including Steam paddle-boat, crocodiles, raising bridges.
      • Fog/Mist effect for extra swampyness...
    • Implemented a load/save feature to keep track of coins/levels/selected items/settings, etc.
    A good bit of time was spent modelling the environment assets - not all of which make it into the final version... as usual!

Here's some pics...

Desert Platforms
    BRDesertPlatforms01.gif

Swamp Environment selector prefab
    BRSwampSelector01.gif

Example of the new swamp obstacles
    BRSwampObs01.gif

I will update the playable WebGL dev version shortly.

Cheers,
    Al.

Billy4184 likes this.
  30. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hey all,

Here's a few more pics - some more of the swamp environment, plus a WIP on a the next environment - Lava.

BRSwamp05.jpg BRSwamp06.jpg BRLava01.jpg BRLava02.jpg

Cheers,
    Al.

31. carking1996

carking1996

Game's turning out great, much better than when it was first previewed

Alan-Ward likes this.
  32. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Thanks @carking1996 - I'd be worried if was getting worse ;) ... time to update the website I think...

33. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hey all,

Here's a couple of quick GIFs showing the lava land in action - fireballs and lava spurts, and a new obstacle: iron drawbridges.

Look out - FIREBALLS!
    BRLavaPlay03.gif

...and Iron Drawbridge obstacles
    BRLavaBridges01.gif

Cheers,
    Al.

34. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all,

I've updated the Web GL Dev Build to the latest version including the above additions and feedback and more. Please give it a go and let me know!

Cheers,
    Al.

35. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  36. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hey all,

I've been working on several things lately - list and gifs to follow - but I've changed something fundamental about the game. Following the previous round of testing and feedback it was suggested that the instant death on hitting obstacles was too punishing - so instead, obstacles get destroyed but cause a stun effect during which you can't build and I would like some feedback please :) ( < link to WebGL Dev build there)

This brings me on to the next big change - how power-ups work. Previously, there was only one power-up: Dozers, with each dozer collected allowing the destruction of an obstacle. On reflection there were a couple of issues with this approach - The UI had to keep track of the dozer count, which meant any other power-ups I dream up would also need some UI space, so it would easily get cluttered and dozers were scarce so it wasn't much fun destroying a single obstacle here or there... yeah, boring!

So now, power-ups work on a limited-time basis. i.e. collect a dozer and get 5-10 seconds of destruction mayhem :) without any stun penalty. This also means the visuals had to change, so like the coin collection above, power-ups transition to a UI point with a timer-bar whilst they're active.

...and it also opens the door to many other types of power-up of course. For now, I've also added the age-old Coin-Magnet power-up. You're So Money.

BR-PwrUpMgnt03.gif

Dozer Destruction (and stun effect)
    BR-PwrUpDzr02.gif

Remember - play the Dev Build
    Cheers,
    Al.

37. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hey all, Update time.

I've been refining the power-ups a little and introduced a new gameplay feature - extra points :) You can increase the score by destroying obstacles. +3 +5 or +10 depending on the obstacle. The balance is, that in normal play, the constructor will get stunned - but with the dozer power-up it's a points rampage :) Using certain other power-ups will also earn extra points.

Any of you remember back at the very start of this thread ? Well an intended feature is almost ready - BRDIGES. Oh yes. I've got the power-up ready to go just need to finalise a few bits of code before demoing it.

In the meantime here's a couple of QOL features - in-place floaty scores for destruction/power-up use and a some camera shakes...

Extra points (gimme gimme)

BR-ScoreDisp02.gif

BOOM! Shake, shake... no...no I won't do that...

BR-CamShake03.gif

Cheers,
    Al.

38. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hey All,

So, here it is. First GIFs of the long awaited featured power-up - Bridges!

This powerup lets you build across canyons/rivers/lava/etc for a short time and gives you a few extra points for each section, and bonus points if you destroy any obstacles in the process!

BR-BridgeDesert01.gif

BR-BridgeLava01.gif

Cheers,
    Al.

39. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hey all,

I've just put together this first trailer for Buildy Road - any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Al.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  40. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Just a quick update on the Trailer - I've edited it based on feedback and changed the link to v2
    Al.

41. carking1996

carking1996

Great trailer, definitely one of the better ones I've seen on this site. Nice job!

Alan-Ward likes this.
  42. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all - I've been a little quiet on this thread but still working hard on the game. Added some polish and bug fixes but the main new addition is *drawing* control method.

Check it out on my latest Twitter Post
    https://twitter.com/Bitten_Games/status/1015566753311666176
    or shorter version on YouTube

Cheers,
    Al.

43. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all - I just updated the WebGL Dev version to v0.8.5 today which introduces a few new features. Mainly these -

• Draw controls for building the paths - designed for mobile, but works using the mouse.
    • Shields - you start with 2 - if you have none when you hit something its game over.
    • Shield pick-ups - watch for these to boost your shields back up !
    • Points Combos for successfully navigating over moving platforms - builds extra points for every 5 you can do within a certain time!
    • In game messages when you collect Power-Ups or get points combos
    • Lots of little visual tweaks and bug fixes

Play it on BittenGames.com

BRWebBuild01.jpg

44. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi everyone,

Just catching up with some new updates to post about - I've finally added in the land and vehicle unlocking system - check it out on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Bitten_Games/status/1020782573323251712

Also, here's a couple of new Boats for water based levels ... an Air Boat and a F1 Powerboat.

BR-AirBoat.gif
    BR-RacerBoat.gif

Cheers,
    Al.

45. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi All,

Been adding in Game Over menu options - surprisingly simple using Unity's UI panels and buttons.

It works like this -
    • 3 invisible placeholder panels exist on screen - stored in a public list populated via inspector
    • Prefabs for the buttons are stored in another public list, again populated in the inspector.
    • Start() method of the GameOver menu picks a random no. of panels, and chooses a random button to instantiate and parent to each panel.
    • The GameManager script handles each button's logic.
    BR-RetryMenus2.gif
    Cheers,
    Al.

46. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Hi all,

This week I've been creating the Boost system and UI and introduced the second currency - Nuts. Nuts can be used to purchase the starting boosts, such as activating brakes or getting extra shields.

Here's a twitter post with a video showcasing the WIP

https://twitter.com/Bitten_Games/status/1025859611751014400

[EDIT]
    ..and here's a quick gif extract of that video...

BR-BoostsMenu2.gif

Cheers,
    Al.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  47. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@beef-Supreme
    Hmm... I remember I got played one mobile game which is almost same game-play mechanic as this but that one is a pillar world rotation style of view and I had forgotten the name but seeing you keep adding more and more traps, this sounds more interesting too. Great job.

About the level art style, IMHO it looks... unfinished, very flat. It's something about variations, lighting and rendering. Currently it feels stuck between realistic and toon style. Try to use more colors bravely.

Additional, for this kind of simple game, you can try to use Standard shader, maximum 3 rendering at the same time. I had tried this setup for my game plus additional mobile optimized screen effects. The draw call is just about 20+ and run smoothly on my devices and my friends' not-so-old devices, pretty cool.

48. carking1996

carking1996

I agree that it does look incomplete. I'm not sure what to say about it, though. Maybe do what I said earlier, add gradients to the colors. Dark to lighter on the top

49. Alan-Ward

Alan-Ward

Thanks both for the input - I really appreciate your feedback. I'll have a look at my shaders - should be simple enough to introduce some variations - hopefully without a performance hit. FYI I'm getting between 15-25 set-pass calls currently.

I think part of the problem is that the ground and water gfx are big blocks of colour - there is variation in the ground mesh but maybe it's too subtle? The water is a trick (it's just the camera background colour) but I've been working a little on this recently too with additional decoration and waves.

@AkiraWong89 if you remember the name of that game please let me know! :)

50. carking1996

carking1996