Search Unity

Graphics [WIP] AQUAS 2.0

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by dogmachris, Oct 2, 2017.

1. tredpro

tredpro

Thank you very much. Last time I searched I couldn't find it. May try it out

2. Worban

Worban

@OldLegWig that is amazing news! I've not extensively researched ocean options lately, just kinda checking in here from time to time, as I'd mentioned. But the new and free Ceto is definitely something I will thoroughly check out in the next few days. Thanks for sharing that with us.

@Dayn1 yeah, that's what I've been wondering too. I always figured Aquas 2.0 would be a free upgrade for existing subscribers. I was not worried about an extra charge when it was labeled 2.0 because that's just a major version upgrade. It might cost a little more for new subscribers with all the hard work put into it, which is understandable. But the new name "Aquas Ultra" implies a new edition, quite possibly higher price tier for all users, including current owners. I'd just appreciate some clarification from dogmachris regarding his pricing intentions with the release of Ultra.

JDrem1 likes this.
  3. tredpro

tredpro

Yea. Aquas 2 is what were told would be free for upgrading so the wording change is suspicious

4. Dr_Evanzan

Dr_Evanzan

The wording change isn't overly suspicious based on previous comments...

JDrem1 and Worban like this.
  5. Worban

Worban

True and there we go, straight from the horse's mouth, plain and clear. I'm negligent for having missed that announcement. Thanks for the clarifying quote, @Dr_Evanzan

A request to @dogmachris: When you release Aquas Ultra, please make an announcement here on this thread. I just set myself to watch this thread and email me on any updates. Since there will be a limited grace period for current Aquas owners to get both editions, I may miss that grace period since I'm not checking the asset store more often than once a month or perhaps even longer. Thanks!

6. JDrem1

JDrem1

@Dr_Evanzan

Well Id say that about cleared it up.
    I know I read that post from DM a while ago. So thank you for pasting it here.
    The salient part being..⤵
    "I will make sure however, that everybody who previously owned AQUAS gets a grace time during which they can get the new AQUAS for free."

So no matter what the new version is called.
    ✴ AQUAS-2 :)
    ✴ AQUAS-Ultra, :)
    Or
    ✴ AQUAS-Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious... o_O
    That confirms that it will indeed be FOC.

To all those who already own the full version of AQUAS. And are eagerly awaiting the release.

Thanks Dr_Evanzan for the repost. :D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  7. dogmachris

dogmachris

I will create a separate thread in the assets section when I am getting closer to release. This thread is in the WIP section, because it would be misleading to have it in the assets section just yet. I will announce it broad and clear, when I get closer to publishing, I promise. :)

JDrem1 and Worban like this.
  8. dogmachris

dogmachris

The grace time won't be short - there will be plenty of time and I will also announce how long the grace period will be exactly before it goes live, just so I don't catch anybody off-guard. :)

9. JDrem1

JDrem1

Thanks DM.
    And I think I speak for everyone, when I say. "Really appreciate this update, the clarity of the news, and of course all of your hard work on this amazing asset.

And for following the time honoured tradition, of allowing existing owners, users, to update FOC.
    We (again speaking for the community.) really appreciate your professionalism, and your loyalty.

Kudos. :)

Worban, Dr_Evanzan and hopeful like this.
  10. Unityaware

Unityaware

Hi, when will we be able to use Aquas with HDRP? Thanks.

11. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

@dogmachris how much longer are we waiting?

12. sharkapps

sharkapps

Couldn't help but notice:

Looks awesome!

dogmachris and magique like this.
  13. ceebeee

ceebeee

Yeah if you haven't been following the main thread, 2020 is already in Unity's hands waiting for review. should be out soon.

(also he posted a newer video than the one above in that thread)

dogmachris, sharkapps and Dr_Evanzan like this.
  14. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Aquas 2020 is now live

dogmachris and sharkapps like this.
  15. JDrem1

JDrem1

Hi dogmachris

Firstly great to see AQUAS 2020 on the store, and as said before. Kudos for following the time honoured tradition of letting an upgrade be FOC to existing owners.

I am a little confused though.
    I (and I am sure everyone else) thought that AQUAS 2. (Or 2020) as it became. Was also going to be an ocean shader?
    A really exciting, and much anticipated Ocean Shader.

Even with a YouTube WIP ocean video posted by yourself a couple years ago.

AQUAS 2.0 First preview

And seeing how awesome AQUAS 1 is, with flat water body shaders. As well as also working beautifully in both monitor, and VR.
    AQUAS oceans would be incredible.

Is this an upcoming feature in AQUAS 2020?

Thanks for any feedback.

Vincent454 and hellstorm like this.
  16. magique

magique

Congrats. Got the free update right away. I'll try it soon.

dogmachris likes this.
  17. tredpro

tredpro

By ocean shader are you referring to the waves?

18. JDrem1

JDrem1

Hi.
    Yes waves, like in the video posted above.
    But with added foam, shore surf, etc.

I have honestly always thought (since the reveal back then. Of AQUAS- 2.0 / Ultra-- now 2020.) -That one of the main reasons for a new AQUAS. (as well as updating to the new Unity) was to add oceans, with all of dogmachris's genius and magic, that AQUAS 1 has.

That is why the text (pasted below.) from the AQUAS 2020 store page really confused me.

(Pasted from the current 2020 store page.)
    "AQUAS 2020 is the newest version of AQUAS. It comes with greatly increased ease of use, reworked shaders, full compatibility to the newest Unity versions and a variety of powerful new features.
    AQUAS is a full-featured water system to simulate flat water for all types of platforms, environments and games. It is is highly customizable and feature rich to suit all needs and produce industry quality results."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  19. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hi @dogmachris, I have been tinkering with Aquas 2020 in Unity 2019.3.0b7 in a blank project with a terrain and have found that the standalone build (win64 on Nvidia GTX 1070) will crash if caustics are enabled. Sometimes it crashes right away when starting the scene, sometimes after trying to view caustics on the terrain. If I remove/disable the PrimaryCausticsProjector, the crashes do not occur.

I also managed to capture some shader errors in the editor console:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture (type 3 count 1)
    2. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    3. AQUAS.AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:102)
    4. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    6. Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_ST (type 1 count 1)
    7. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    8. AQUAS.AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:102)
    9. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    11. Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_TexelSize (type 1 count 1)
    12. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    13. AQUAS.AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:102)
    14. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    16. Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_HDR (type 1 count 1)
    17. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    18. AQUAS.AQUAS_Reflection:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/AQUAS 2020/Scripts/AQUAS_Reflection.cs:102)
    19. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    and I saw these just before the standalone build crashes:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Dimensions of color surface do not match dimensions of depth surface
    Also, seems to be unrelated to the above, but I see these when using Depth Support:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null
    2. Parameter name: mat
    Let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

dogmachris likes this.
  20. dogmachris

dogmachris

Wow, I didn't know there was so much going on on this thread still - Yeah, I was busy with AQUAS 2020 and AQUAS 2020 is not the above water with the physical waves, it is a major update to AQUAS which has started to grow old with the years. I will give AQUAS 2020 some small waves, but they add more to the underwater effects rather than to the surface itself. I will resume work on AQUAS Ultra (formerly AQUAS 2), as soon as I finish the tutorials for AQUAS 2020 and the additions that I want to finish before December.

Vincent454 likes this.
  21. dogmachris

dogmachris

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet.
    This is one of these magical errors, I have no idea where it comes from, but it's a known one: https://forum.unity.com/threads/err...e-added-to-this-global-property-sheet.510126/

I don't know if anyone is entirely sure where this comes from...

ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null Parameter name: mat

Someone reported this issue on iOS earlier today, and I couldn't yet pinpoint where it comes from, but if you get it too in the build and underwater effects are not rendering, it seems that a material cannot be accessed in playmode. I'll look into that and submit a hotfix asap.

22. dogmachris

dogmachris

@sharkapps
    Were you able to pinpoint by any chance which script is throwing the error?

23. sharkapps

sharkapps

I believe it may be a call to Graphics.Blit where the material parameter is null. I think it may be happening in AQUAS_RenderColor or AQUAS_RenderDepth but i am not sure how it can be happening since they seem to do null checking.

24. dogmachris

dogmachris

Ok, I'll look into it, I gotta submit a hotfix anyway so maybe I can manage to do it tomorrow.

25. JDrem1

JDrem1

@dogmachris.

Hey man.
    And thanks for the reply.:)

But I,- (and I'm sure your reply will answer the question for others,) -am still a unsure about something.

So 2020 is an extension of the, old flat river shader, <-and great.
    But is not Aquas 2. Or as you renamed it. "AQUAS Ultra"
    (I know this as you say it, as a reply post, in the above YouTube video.)
    Pasted below. So you dont have to go surfing,- <(pun intended.) -to see the posts..

SorensenGaming 1 year ago
    Also, you should call it AQUAS H2.0

GodlessReason

1 year ago
    Actually I think it will go under the name of AQUAS Ultra.

And a few posts down there is this.⤵⤵

Troy Wayne 2 years ago
    Will this be an upgrade to the current one?

GodlessReason

2 years ago
    Yes, it will.

Troy Wayne 2 years ago
    i guess i should reword that. will it be an upgrade that we will have to pay to get or will everyone who already owns it get it. a lot of assets i bought like ufps is releasing new versions that you have to buy in addition to what you originally bought. just want to make sure this isn't doing the same

GodlessReason

1 year ago
    Troy Beard Jr. no, if you already own AQUAS, you'll get a grace time during which you can get this for free.
    ---------

So AQUAS Ultra,- (The one I have been waiting for, I have to admit. ;)) -will be the same, and have an "FOC grace period" for existing owners.
    And for those who purchase AQUAS 2020 prior to the release of Ultra?

Thank for any validation, and reply. :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  26. NatureSimsVR

NatureSimsVR

@dogmachris: I'm developing an app for VR (PC-Oculus & Vive). Part of the gameplay involves swimming partially submerged under water so I was very excited to see your Partial Submersion feature for split rendering. That said, the Aquas description noted there are some issues w/ Aquas 2020 and VR compatibility so I wanted to check to see if this feature is supported for VR platforms in Aquas 2020?

Thank you!
    Kai

27. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Is Aquas 2020 intended to function properly with a camera in 'Deferred' rendering mode? It does not appear to work in Deferred, from testing thus far at least; and to be clear this isn't using the LWRP or the HDRP, it's using the default/built-in rendering.

To reproduce: Start a new scene, add a terrain, change Camera to "Deferred", and then add water via the "Quick Setup" screen in Aquas2020. Artifacts appear but no water, both in Play mode and in Scene view. If you then switch the camera to Forward rendering you will see your water right away.

Any insight on this? I searched around for info, and the only real information I saw about it was related to the prior Aquas version getting some level of support for Deferred, though didn't find much else & nothing specific to the 2020 version.

Thank you in advance for any help / guidance you may be able to provide!

28. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi there,

I tried to reproduce it on my end, but I couldn't. AQUAS 2020 was created with both deferred and forward rendering in mind. Here's what I get when I switch to deferred rendering.

Can you tell me a bit more about your setup? Unity version? Any other assets in the project?

Attached Files:

29. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Hm, strange. Unity version is 2019.2.13f1 and I had just re-downloaded the asset, so it was also latest / what's available on Asset store. There are other assets in the project but nothing particularly interesting, and definitely nothing actively being used in that scene -- there was actually no code running in that test scene at all.

If I have a chance I'll try to repro it in a new project.

30. NatureSimsVR

NatureSimsVR

Does the Partial Submersion feature work in VR w/ Aquas 2020?

Thanks!

31. dogmachris

dogmachris

What about the target platform? Also do the demo scenes work?

32. dogmachris

dogmachris

VR-Support is currently limited. While the water itself should render, underwater effects and realtime reflections need some work until I can guarantee compatibility. Customers have reported strange behaviour in VR and I will have to figure out what's going on, so for now I will have to say, I cannot guarantee AQUAS 2020 is going to function properly in VR for the time being.

33. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Alright, managed to come back to this and indeed found the same issue on most of the demo scenes. Prior to testing I downloaded & re-imported the asset from scratch again (Dec. 9 version/asset last updated date), so am confident that this is still an issue with the current version.

All screenshots were taken while running it with Unity 2019.2.15f1 editor version. Screenshots were taken with Mac editor, and I'm running macOS 10.15 and rendering API is Metal; GPU is AMD D500.

Screenshots with some notes/details here: https://imgur.com/a/Rface3I

One other question: Is it possible to rotate the water, for instance to use it in a game where we aren't using terrain and are using the X/Y axis more like a 2D game would? I haven't dug into the code very yet, due to the above issue with Deferred, but presumably the effect can work the same along any rotation -- or are there any hard-coded areas in the shader that we'd need to modify to change the axis?

From quickly trying it with Forward rendering, it appears to work fine until close to 90-degrees of rotation, at which point it skews. If there's a way to make it work, or any guidance on changes required, would certainly appreciate it. Worst case, we could use another camera to render it but that's a bit messier than I'd like just for "scenery water", but could be done if we had to. :)

Thank you!!

34. JDrem1

JDrem1

Hi
    dogmachris

Any update or answer on this question please.

Posted 6 Nov. ⤴⤴ Eight posts up.

Thanks. :)

35. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Just wanted to add: the issue I reported above is the same when running under versions 2019.2.16f1 and 2019.3.0f3 of the macOS editor when using Deferred Rendering.

36. ceebeee

ceebeee

probably best to post issues in the main thread, this was just an early thread about it and not visited much.

37. Chuckalicious

Chuckalicious

I have the 2020 version upgrade, How do we get the big rolling waves like the video? I don't see this wind or other settings anywhere.

JDrem1 likes this.
  38. JDrem1

JDrem1

Apparently they are not in AQUAS 2020 update, but are in a different update called "AQUAS Ultra."
    Which is said by dogmachris in the replies on that Youtube video...
    "That it will indeed be free to existing AQUAS owners."

Read through the comments in the attached Video, it will shed more light on the subject.

I have asked twice.- (see approx 13 posts above, and again 4 posts above,) -for confirmation of this update being FOC,
    as stated in the replies.
    As this "big rolling waves, surf, shoreline" etc is the addition I too have been waiting for.
    No reply as yet...

Chuckalicious likes this.
  39. bear56

bear56

Is it possible to make two cameras with AQUAS 2020 underwater effect at the same time ? Because I need two cameras for different screen view for my film.

40. tredpro

tredpro

How do you do shoes for multiple aquas?

41. bear56

bear56

My particles can not be seen in AQUAS 2020 underwater effect. Please help me to solve this problem, thanks.

42. Aress28

Aress28

How i can add it to mapmagic if i have like 100 terrain tailes???

43. CJA_888

CJA_888

Hello, Sir.I would like to ask how I can use volume light underwater, such as the volume light of UPR or the volume light of aura2 plug-in.

44. sureshKRATOS

sureshKRATOS

Hey..
    This is so awesome....
    Is it ok with mobile??Need this In my game

45. eaque

eaque

HI,
    is it still supported?

46. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Yes it is. He is currently working on an update for Aquas 2020.

eaque likes this.
  47. unity0106

unity0106

Hey, i have a problem.No fog visible underwater.
    I tried everything I could think of
    upload_2020-12-22_0-57-34.png

help pls...

48. tredpro

tredpro

I believe everyone is having the issue. I was hoping 2021 would have fixed it but nope.

49. Harald_Heide

Harald_Heide

This used to be my favourite water. That is until URP arrived on the scene..
    Any news when update for URP might be estimated ready?

Would love to start using this asset again... :) It really was great...

50. Aress28

Aress28

Hi.I have issue with camera when i add underwater effects....Its like jiggling and when i disable collider who detects "water" then everything is good...any one know how to fix this?