Search Unity

Graphics [WIP] AQUAS 2.0

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by dogmachris, Oct 2, 2017.

1. blacksun666

blacksun666

Well he has been active recently in the live aquas thread.
    Also posted regarding v2.0 - 'It is still being worked on. If everything works out, I may have a beta on the store before the end of the year.'

2. magique

magique

Lahcene, Dwight_Everhart and Rowlan like this.
  3. Kazidon

Kazidon

any update on this!?

4. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey folks, I'm sorry I haven't been active on this thread, but I am still working on getting a beta out as quickly as I can.

5. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Looking forward to trying it :):)

6. Niels40

Niels40

7. Niels40

Niels40

anywhere?

8. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi @dogmachris, any news on version 2? Looking forward to test it in my project. ;)

Flurgle likes this.
  9. ceebeee

ceebeee

I like how anytime someone doesn't reply back immediately, something is declared dead. He has already stated many times he's a busy guy, he doesn't get to the forums a lot, just give him time.

Lahcene, Lab618, Mohamed-Anis and 2 others like this.
  10. krahvaal

krahvaal

I bought a seat for Aquas in September 2018 and have made several builds for testing and study demos with no problems.
    Having updated recently I've now found it won't build throwing the error "Assets/AQUAS/Scripts/AQUAS_CameraSwitcher.cs(4,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?"

Googling tells me that "using UnityEditor;" must not go in the build - why is this happening now and not before the recent Aquas update?
    I found posts saying such scripts should be in Assets/Editor and so on.

I haven't found anything in documentation telling me to move scripts, comment or whatever to avoid this.

Having put in a 'Contact' at Dogmatic 2 days ago with no reply I'm losing valuable time.
    I cleaned out AppData today for a fresh install of Unity, Visual Studio 2017 and Aquas but same build error for new project, new terrain and default camera on Quick Setup.

If somebody would please help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
    Greg

11. ceebeee

ceebeee

You don't mention what version of Unity you're using but, I don't get that error under 2018.2

https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.3/Documentation/ScriptReference/AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath.html
    he's including UnityEditor to access AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath() function which is fine from Normal (non-Editor) MonoBehavior. (at least it used to be). If you're on 2018.3, it's possible something changed.

EDIT: I tried under 2018.3, it's working fine there for me also. So not sure why you're having a problem. Need more info about your unity version and configuration.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  12. krahvaal

krahvaal

Thanks for the reply ceebeee.
    Darn, I put the version in the post that led me here but failed to copy that over to here - 2017.4.17f1 LTS.
    The reason I'm staying on LTS is that when I tried 2018 a number of assets, had code that is no longer supported. By the time I found out and went back to 2017 LTS, the project I was working on was broken. The errors were something like "prefab missing" and it was for an entire village, several towers and a large bridge. Having completed over 10 courses on Unity and Blender I really don't think there was anything unusual about those prefabs - sorry, I realize that's off topic. My point is that as a single developer I can not mess around. Unless somebody can give me good reason otherwise, my plan is to stay on LTS, back up whatever before Update but be ready to roll back and freeze on that version.

The Asset Store AQUAS says Unity 5.2.1 or higher - does Unity use 2 version numbers?
    If so, how do I find out the 5.n.n as is apposed to Year.n....?
    The first post in this thread says that the correct version of AQUAS is automatically chosen based on version of Unity.
    If AQUAS no longer supports LTS then is there a link to the previous version somewhere?

I apologize for my confusion. Having decided to get a Unity Seat around 6 months ago, I've been going fairly hard at doing courses in whatever time I can spare. I'm only now focusing more on development and porting my assets from another game engine - things are going okay but after problems I've hit, I constantly Build test.

Thanks once again,
    Regards,
    Greg

13. ceebeee

ceebeee

Yes, going backward from 2018 to 2017 is always going to cause issues, upgrading is a one way path. It's best to back up your project before trying a new unity version on it. Likely why you saw prefab issues is because they vastly changed prefabs in 2018 compared to 2017. But back to your issue.

I tried the latest release of Aquas in 2017.4.17f1 and it works there as well, as I suspected it would. So I would suspect the issue lies elsewhere, not with Aquas. I'd install Aquas into a blank project, see it's working, then try adding other parts of your project in until you find what is causing the conflict.

14. krahvaal

krahvaal

I suspected updating is a one way thing. I'm now doing each level as a project, set design, prefab, backup before trying update, I may just stay on 2017.4.17f1 for this game.

As I said in my first post - "I cleaned out AppData today for a fresh install of Unity, Visual Studio 2017 and Aquas but same build error for new project, new terrain and default camera on Quick Setup." (yesterday relative to this post)
    A fresh install with new project that has nothing but default Main Camera, Directional Light, new Terrain and Aquas doing Quick Setup then Build.

The only thing I can think of is that I uninstalled VS 2017 for VS 2015 while doing a course then back again. That was inbetween updating AQUAS around a week ago before doing a test Build. I wonder if a VS cache is causing the store to give me the wrong AQUAS version?

I'll uninstall everything, delete all cache and Registry I can find including moving the Asset Store-5.x directory out from under AppData. I'll make sure to reboot after each uninstall - I'll bet I forgot to do that in between all of this.
    I'll post again with the outcome.

15. ceebeee

ceebeee

Ok I caught a key word today that I missed yesterday, "Build" :) so you're getting the error when trying to build the project, and Indeed I see this as well.

The script CameraSwitcher is simply for demo purposes to work around the fact that in 2017 and lower versions, Postprocessing Version 1 is available and in Unity 2018 and above, Postprocessing Version 2 is available. so it detects which is in the project and enables the correct set of cameras.

But for your actual build, you shouldn't be using this at all. Instead you should know which Postprocessing you intend to use and have your postprocessing set up for your camera.

It seems the documentation is misleading and in fact this namespace can't be in builds. So recommended course is to delete that script and explicity set up postprocessing on your cameras in your build scenes.

16. krahvaal

krahvaal

Thanks ceebeee, just got your post this morning.

Yesterday, I uninstalled everything, rebooted, manually deleted stale files/keys then rebooted again.
    This did me a favor as there were still VS2015 keys associated with Unity - I obviously did not reboot after the 2015 uninstall.

Switching the KVM I found my test rig still had 2017.3.1.f1 which, of course, had the same problem.
    You've now confirmed that the file should be in Assets/Editor, fine.

Having unistalled Unity 2017 for 2018.3.0f2 on the test rig found...
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ue2d5EGJ-_pzk2VpJZzbW59tl2udieZt
    ...okay, I added "using MinAttribute = UnityEngine.PostProcessing.MinAttribute;" but a lot of people would not know this.

So, now what?

EDIT: my apologies, having posted it hit me that MinDrawer.cs is part of Unity Post Processing Stack. A review tells us not to use the one on Asset Store for Unity 2018 but to use Window->Package Manager then click Post Processing for it's Install button. That explains why I did not find MinAttribute mentioned on this thread.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    ceebeee likes this.
  17. ceebeee

ceebeee

Yes with 2018 they are moving away from using asset store versions to using package manager. this way updates go straight to the package manager and it's easier to update and pick which versions you use in your project.

18. krahvaal

krahvaal

Thanks for your help ceebeee. Yet another compelling reason to move from LTS to 2018 - a number of the courses I am doing for example. I'd need to check my assets and could do that on the test rig but I haven't been sure how that would affect any seats so I'll go and check that out.

19. Unity-IBR

Unity-IBR

There are news about the development of AQUAS 2.0? :rolleyes:

20. Rowlan

Rowlan

MessyCoder did an interview recently with 12 asset store devs where the progress was also shown for Aquas 2.0 briefly:

https://www.twitch.tv/theMessyCoder

Unity-IBR and ceebeee like this.
  21. ceebeee

ceebeee

22. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

Do A1 or A2 support shoreline waves yet?

Also as someone speculated earlier, is this statement correct? "AQUAS 1 will be used for Rivers, Pond, Lakes, etc. and AQUAS 2 will be used for Oceans" is this correct?

Lahcene and SickaGames1 like this.
  23. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

@dogmachris

24. ceebeee

ceebeee

if you watched the interview he pretty much stated this. He said Aquas 1 and 2 would work together.

Ziplock9000 likes this.
  25. JDrem1

JDrem1

Any news?

26. sadicus

sadicus

27. skaratxova

skaratxova

I'm still having this issue, does anybody knows how to solve it? I can't build my project

28. ceebeee

ceebeee

dogmachris likes this.
  29. sadicus

sadicus

...so ready for a A2.0 test version! Watched the interview, thanks for posting the link.

Lahcene likes this.
  30. creat327

creat327

This was over a year ago... was this ever implemented?

31. vinnygombici

vinnygombici

Hello, does this plug in works with HDRP?

32. Duffer123

Duffer123

Vincent454, cxode and sadicus like this.
  33. netpost

netpost

I really love Aquas but I haven't been able to use it in the last 6 months. Every time I try to install it I have load of errors. I hope Aquas 2 will be out soon...

34. magique

magique

I agree. Ever since AQUAS was tightly integrated with the Post Processing Stack, it has been problematic and a pain to get working. I wish that integration would go away.

Duffer123 likes this.
  35. creat327

creat327

to me it's more worrisome that nobody replies this thread... it used to be on a daily basis. What's going on with aquas?

36. ceebeee

ceebeee

it was never on a daily basis. you can go back and see replies from the creator are months apart. He doesn't live on the forums like some people.

37. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey folks, I'm back on the forums. It's been a while, since everything is a bit crazy right now over here and I was a little swamped these last couple of months. The AQUAS update is pretty much don (I guess it'll be about a week to submission). Good news is, I will be able to pretty much move a lot of features from AQUAS right over to AQUAS Ultra, which saves me a lot of work or to put it differently: A lot of work for AQUAS is also for AQUAS Ultra, which will shorten the dev process by quite a bit.
    AQUAS Ultra itself hasn't really changed in terms of looks, I am only porting everything from cg to hlsl for performance reasons. Will keep the forum posted on the dev process, as soon as I submitted AQUAS. It's currently only cosmetics left.

38. S4G4N

S4G4N

I shout out for the AquaMan being back !!!
    Looking forward to whatever you are doing :)

Duffer123 and Shodan0101 like this.
  39. Amitloaf

Amitloaf

Sounds amazing. I loved Aquas but we use HDRP now. Waiting for this update :)

S4G4N and Duffer123 like this.
  40. Zimnel

Zimnel

Also waiting for this, can't wait to test the new features :D

Duffer123 likes this.
  41. adobe-alavi

adobe-alavi

hi
    AQUAS: The type "AQUAS_LensEffects" already contains a definition for "postProcessing"
    I just bought the Aquas water pack, I then just added the prefab to my scene and I get this error, is there something I missed?

Actually yes. Here is what the devs sent me.
    Via Email: AQUAS tries to automatically detect which version of the post-processing stack you are using. It might fail to do so under certain circumstances. In this case please proceed as follows:
    1. Go to the Editor folder and delete the AQUAS_AddDefine.cs script.

2. Go to the player settings and in the scripting define symbols remove the entry that says "UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V1", if there is also an entry that says "UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2".Worked perfectly for me!

it worked but all the post process effects are not working now!
    what should I do now????

42. sadicus

sadicus

...so "AQUAS Ultra" will be a true Ocean kit? I only check in periodically to see if Unity will ever have a great Ocean.

Worban likes this.
  43. Zimnel

Zimnel

Any news on Aquas 2? : )

JDrem1 likes this.
  44. Worban

Worban

Same. I bought Aquas on May 2, 2018 hoping I'd be able to use it for a nice ocean game. I check back every few months to see if it has this feature. An infinite ocean has been on the development slate for well over a year with no progress it seems. It would also be nice if Aquas Ultra was able to generate some nice swells during a storm, but I'm afraid that may be asking too much.

Aquas undeniably looks great and I believe is perfect for lakes and other inland bodies of water. I've used it for other projects with immense satisfaction. But even tweaking it to force it to produce a water horizon in 360 degrees takes a serious hit on performance, and doesn't look all that convincing.

I'm patient though.

My only question at this point: are we going to have to pay extra for Aquas Ultra? I feel this would be a low blow to folks who bought Aquas under the mistaken assumption that Aquas could properly be used to create a believable or realistic ocean. I've been waiting for oceanic features patiently for 15 months. To slap an extra price for previously-promised features would be like rubbing salt in the wound of a long wait.

Duffer123 and Vincent454 like this.
  45. tredpro

tredpro

i've been waiting for the infinite ocean it feels like a few years now. so just give it a couple more and itll be here. maybe unity 2020?

Worban likes this.
  46. tredpro

tredpro

will reference https://forum.unity.com/threads/the-community-ocean-shader-open-source-unity-5.370818 until the infinite ocean feature is finally added. it has halted my project for to long and i had to find another route. so aquas is getting replaced pretty much. at least until its finally release...

Worban likes this.
  47. Worban

Worban

Thanks for the tip and link, tredpro. As of about a year ago, I was searching pretty far and wide to find something great for Unity, evaluating almost all options. Here is a link to a forum contribution I made with another asset, last year, related to the ocean asset you furnished in your link: https://forum.unity.com/threads/75-...r-gi-speed-mobile.280612/page-33#post-3479861

With my additional statements surrounding that long post (which outlines all the features I look for when assessing a good ocean asset) you can see that I'd tried just about everything as of that time. To summarize the conversation there, apparently CETO was an amazing ocean asset that goes unrivaled to date, with beautiful features all around. Sadly, that project was abandoned years ago, and would need a complete overhaul to work with any version of Unity of the last year or two. I never got to use CETO, but did see it in action in some demo videos that looked amazing. Previous users of it still attest to its powerful features, for an even older version of Unity.

I guess I don't understand why there has not been an effort to make a modern CETO. The best ocean project I can find is that open source community project. It is pretty impressive and comes fairly close to rivaling CETO. It's just a little buggy and doesn't get updated very much, which is understandable since its not generating any revenue for the developers.

I've always kinda hoped that Aquas will step up to fill those shoes. Perhaps that is wishful thinking, but I always hoped for it. We'll see. I truly hope it does and fairly soon, without another 15 month wait to see it come to fruition.

48. tredpro

tredpro

Sadly I remember ceto in the store and did research between it and aquas and made the choice of aquas. There have been a lot of times where I've regretted it.

2 features I'm needing not currently available in aquas is waves and the infinite ocean. Waves arent as important i guess but infinite ocean is because i use world streamer and stream my project

Worban and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  49. owen_proto

owen_proto

Worban likes this.
  50. JDrem1

JDrem1

So AQUAS 2, we have always known is a free update. Because updates always have been, and you assured us DM.
    And not like a couple... (Thankfully only a "couple") of devs have tried lately...

Moving on..

So I'm guessing that "AQUAS Ultra" is the official name for AQUAS 2?

Worban likes this.