Search Unity

[WIP] [ANDROID] Teleport - top down or perspective

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by czampese, Jun 14, 2016.

1. czampese

czampese

Teleport is (will be) an endless runner-ish game on mobile. Basically you tap and hold to rotate left or right, and when you let go the player teleports to the target position.

Its very early in dev and I am just trying to decide if I should use a top down orthographic view or a perspective view.

I know its hard to tell without movement (I will try and get a reasonable screen capture of both in motion), but any first thoughts?
    TopDown_or_Perspective.jpg

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Have you considered top down with a perspective camera?

3. czampese

czampese

I actually started with that, but there was something not quite right about it.

I will try and get some 'in motion' versions up this evening as well because I think it makes things a bit clearer. I guess I could offer 'top down ortho' or '3D perspective' as gameplay options too

4. czampese

czampese

Right, quick comparison video showing both options....thoughts anyone?

5. czampese

czampese

Still thinking about giving the player the option to choose between perspective/top down ortho views.

Been doing a little work on the teleport effect - still lots of tweaking to do, but I think it makes it a little more obvious what is happening

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yeah - the teleporting is looking a lot better. Might consider optional perspective change as an optional choice for the player - after you get the game up and running. :)
    It's those 'extra' parts that end up taking away focus on the actual important game play. ;)

7. MaxRoetzler

MaxRoetzler

I would think the bigger problem is that you always block the screen with your thumb when tapping on a location inside the circle. So you end up constantly moving your finger on/off the screen to tap and check what's happening. For example, if you tap and miss, you won't see the result until you move your finger away.

As for the perspective, I personally don't like the diagonal'ish orientation very much, but would generally prefer some sort of perspective view. Something like the attachment, which is only a bad 2d distortion. :)

Attached Files:

8. czampese

czampese

Thanks again for the input! Ha, yes I had better stop fiddling with the little things and actually get the gameplay sorted first!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. czampese

czampese

Thanks for the reply. for control you only need to tap the left or right side of the screen (not on the circle itself) so hopefully finger-blocking wont be too much of an issue, as long as I am careful with obstacle placement.

I like the 'almost 2D' perspective as well...definitely another option for me to work with - thanks!