Search Unity

WIP 3D Snake game. Need opinions!!!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Vunpac, Feb 26, 2014.

?

Should I Go All Out On This Game?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2014.
  1. Yes

77.8%
  2. No

22.2%
  1. Vunpac

Vunpac

Hi guys,

I was hoping for some feedback on my WIP. Currently in Alpha, I only have one level available. I have more in development.
    Want opinions before I go full scale with this.

I was hoping for some feedback on what is currently done. The UI is only temporary. I will be redoing the entire thing with NGUI once I finish the game. My current issue is I have a leader bored for the one level (otherwise it wouldn't be as fun!). I think I will make the score add up from each level allowing jump and skin purchases.

I am looking for music/sounds/artwork. If anyone is interested in helping with any of these please feel free to contact me. :)

All opinions and help welcomed!

$game.jpg
    $game.jpg

Link to the game: http://snake3d.forbesfreelancing.com/v1/

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. Vunpac

Vunpac

Also this is my first project. So even the slightest opinions help, positive or negative.

3. SEG-Veenstra

SEG-Veenstra

I think it's pretty fun Vunpac. I first was skeptic about the control but I got the hang of it pretty fast.

4. LPG_FIN_Markus

LPG_FIN_Markus

its reallly fun game! it stats to get really hard at like 30,000 points thou :)

5. Vunpac

Vunpac

Yea I tried to make it as simple as possible, did a lot of tweaking to get the camera an snake to follow the mouse as smooth as possible. Still not perfect, but a good start. I think I will have to add some tips as well I have had a few people say it's buggy when the mouse is close to the head of the snake. This can't really be avoided since the snake follows the mouse. Best to keep the mouse a tad ahead of the snake (I tend to keep it quite far and move with the "feeling" of the snake).

Thanks. If enough people enjoy it I'll have to make it as best I can!

6. LPG_FIN_Markus

LPG_FIN_Markus

you could also implement an options menu whit options like keyboard controll and other things like that. :)
    also it would be fun to see a "classic" gamemode :) just throwing some ideas around

7. Vunpac

Vunpac

hehe I actually have a classic game already made :p just not in the demo version online. Keybinding I was thinking about. But was going to hold off to see weather or not the game as a whole will be a go. If it is there will be a full options menu to tweak a lot of things. Controls being one of them :)

8. TheRaider

TheRaider

I thought it was great.

Easy to play, easy to view, nice twist on a classic game.

Controls were great.

9. Matt1988

Matt1988

Wow! Amazing! I figured I'd give the game a little 5 minute whirl, I started and the next thing I knew 20 minutes had slipped by. I'm digging the controls and the pace of the game is really awesome!

As far as the snake going wild when the mouse is too close, I'd suggest checking the distance between the mouse ray cast collision point and the head of the snake and if it's under a certain threshold, the snake holds it's current course and is unaffected by the mouse. Make this distance threshold just high enough so that the odd behavior doesn't happen and it should work great. Unresponsiveness within that threshold will more than likely be hardly noticeable and much less frustrating than instantly dying!

10. Vunpac

Vunpac

@Matt That's a great solution! I will fix that for sure. Thanks!

11. indiegamemodels

indiegamemodels

Very very nice, didn't knew it would keep me hooked that long at first ^^

12. silkroadgame

silkroadgame

Very funny,could hardly believe that it's your first project,LOL!

13. Vunpac

Vunpac

Thanks. I always did the classic snake game when learning a language. So I figured If I am going to learn 3D gaming and unity, why break tradition :p

14. subbuunity

subbuunity

15. Vunpac

Vunpac

I tried it out. It doesn't seem to do what I need. It's movements aren't quite as accurate as I want. I prefer the tail to follow the exact trail. Thanks for the reference though.

16. Vunpac

Vunpac

17. Matt1988

Matt1988

That's great! I'm glad you finished it.