Search Unity

Games Action-adventure Game 2D

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by blackbird_ru, Sep 15, 2019.

1. blackbird_ru

blackbird_ru

Hello everyone. Currently i'm making game, similar in gameplay and style to Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past for SNES.
    All graphics and resolution made with that in mind. So you can call it retro style pixel perfect game.
    I work on it everyday and post some progress videos, when I made something big enough to show everyone.

This is my first project in Unity, and i'm working on it for 2 months already. Now i'm implementing core gameplay features, but after it will work on level design and such.
    Will be great to hear your feedback.

-Added bomb
    -Added spawn items bounce
    -Added sprite shadows to moving objects
    -Minor changes and bugfixes

-Added arrow
    -Made layer change more correct
    -World freeze on button press or lever switch press
    -Minor changes and bugfixes

-Added fully working status bar
    -Added push-able pillar
    -Added little things, like grass on all objects in grass
    -Many bugfixes and other code changes

-Working on first dungeon
    -New enemies: bat, mouse, slime
    -New traps: spikes
    -Many new sprites

-Added pits, in which you can fall or throw enemies/items into it
    -Added first boss
    -Added slopes and fixed enter position to doors, so now rooms can be screen size without scroll needed
    -Optimizations for JIT compiler
    -Other bug fixes

-Added ball on chain which spins
    -Minor changes
    -Some bugfixes

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

You are doing an excellent job on this. It all looks very solid and interesting as well.

I also had the impression you might be able to do well to build a Beginner Unity 2D Game Dev course centered around this game. On Udemy perhaps.

3. blackbird_ru

blackbird_ru

Thank you for your feedback. And about Beginner's Dev Course. I think it is still too early for me to make such. I'm beginner at Unity too and discovering new things in it every day. Maybe I can do something like it after I will finish this game.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  4. Darlene25

Darlene25

Is it an adventure game or action game? can anyone guide me?

5. blackbird_ru

blackbird_ru

6. Darrkbeast

Darrkbeast

I like what you have thus far, the art is well done and the gameplay looked smooth. Keep up the great work.

blackbird_ru likes this.
  7. blackbird_ru

blackbird_ru

Added new items - bombs, also added animation for spawn items, like hearts and coins, to bounce a bit. And added sprite shadows to all moving objects. See video in first post.

8. blackbird_ru

blackbird_ru

Added new weapon - arrows. Made layer change system for throwable objects more correct. Added few new sprites and fixed some bugs. Video in first post.

9. Darlene25

Darlene25

Thanks. i understand that. I have seen some adds of that.

10. blackbird_ru

blackbird_ru

New updates. Status bar, push-able pillar and other things. Video in first post.

11. blackbird_ru

blackbird_ru

Big update.
    Started doing first dungeon. Made few new enemies: mouse, bat and slime. Many new sprites drawn.
    Video in first post.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  12. Murgilod

Murgilod

This looks good, but there are some minor things I think should be added (very minor, it's pretty early on)

The first is about how the camera works. You seem to have some rooms that exist on a single screen and don't have any real reason to have a moving camera. While the player is in these rooms, it would make sense to lock the camera position. The same applies if the room is the same height or width as the screen, so instead it should be locked along the other axis.

The other is just a minor complaint about the spike animation. For this, I'm going to reference Super Mario 3D World.

You'll notice that when the spikes come up, it's not a smooth slide to the upward position, but rather, you can see the spikes start to stick out, then shoot up. This allows the player to tell when the spikes are coming up, giving them a clear indicator that they need to move or risk taking damage.

13. blackbird_ru

blackbird_ru

Thank you for input. About spikes i thought about that, so making it such wouldn't be hard at all.
    But lock camera in room a bit complicated. Due to how you can enter doors (you can do it slightly off-center), camera can go out of bounds in such room a bit and it snaps in boundaries right afterwards. Do not have good solution for fixing that, besides what I done now.
    You can see example of this problem in picture below.

14. blackbird_ru

blackbird_ru

Added pits to the game, so now you can fall into them, or throw items in it or even push enemies to quickly defeat them.
    Plus finally finished working on the boss of the first dungeon.

15. blackbird_ru

blackbird_ru

Added ball on chain, so now it won't be that easy to cross some narrow paths.
    Also few bugfixes and other minor changes.

And unfortunately I will get a break for few weeks.

16. blackbird_ru

blackbird_ru

Rest time finally over and I'm returning to this project with new powers.
    So in this months I plan to fix few bugs (mostly with pits) and finish fist dungeon. After it I can return to the overworld.