Search Unity

[WIP] 2D Top Down RPG System - Unity Asset

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JimmyV, Jul 28, 2015.

1. reocwolf

reocwolf

Hi guys. So what's the Pro Version gonna have? Also I know it's early to be thinking of integrating other assets but it'd be great if you guys supported Love/Hate by pixel crushers and probably Dialogue System too.

2. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Hey reocwolf,

The Pro version will be multiplayer compatible, will have other sorts of RPG systems like the whole FF7/Pokemon engagement system, loads of more scripts, crafting, quests, shops, pathfinding, mobile for starters and there will be more added to this as well as this was just some of the ideas I could name off the top of my head.

I am actually at this very second working on the code so that this kit can integrate with other assets :D. Some of the changes are already in play for other assets but I am currently working on the Character structure.

As I do not have Love/Hate or Dialogue System's assets could you briefly explain what in the kit needs to be worked on so that something like this can be easily integrated?

3. reocwolf

reocwolf

Well with Dialogue System it would be more of a bridge between both. So if I decide to use DS your asset can "read" the data. DS can handle quests and advanced conversation trees.

Love/Hate handles a character's traits and mood. Withing LH you can give the character stats, traits, relationship status and affinity among other things. Because it is made by the same creator of DS they're naturally connected. A good example is that if an npc has an affinity of 0 meaning that he dislikes the PC, then he will be rude to the PC. But if you later go on a quest that affects him, say u become a hero in the village, then his affinity will rise and he will say something else. I guess the integration with this one would be a way to access LH info and use it as a requirement for certain dialogue or quests to appear for example. IDK.

Here's the LH manual. In pages 29-31 there is an example with DS that might give u ideas. That's inside the 3rd party integrations section so there are examples with other 3rd party assets too.

http://pixelcrushers.com/lovehate/LoveHate_Manual.pdf

Keep up the goods work, guys. This looks amazing. Looking forward to the Pro ver.

4. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Very interesting reocwolf and thank you for the detailed response. This has sparked a lot of ideas for me as to what to implement into the kit as a future update. I think I am just going to code my own 'affinity' system as when I do the quest system for the kit I have to make changes to the current dialogue system but I was thinking of adding another more 'in-depth' dialogue system that can work with outside influences such as Fame, Affinity, Faction Reputation etc.

Thank you again for taking the time for feed back and to help out!

Joey,
    Troll Bridge Studios

5. reocwolf

reocwolf

Sure thing. It'd be very awesome. Better if ist done within your asset's framework. That way we have to define those things only once and it can be utilized in whatever ways you can provide. Keep us posted. ;)

6. reocwolf

reocwolf

Btw where can I see a documentation for this asset?

Also have you thought about day/night cycle and weather system? That way we can have werewolves come out at full moon, skeletons and ghosts at midnight etc. Snow, rain, storms, mist, you name it. Have weather areas (example dust storms in a desert or acidic rain near a volcano). Have it affect the environment over time (Example: plants wither in fall/winter) I mean. It would complicate a lot of things for you lol but it'd be great for a future update in Pro ver.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  7. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Hey reocwolf,

The documentation is at : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AKV9ErJWIr9oWJuDYIOuYPY3LK5kkLAXkO7LXTtwbsU/

Yes a day and night cycle is something I was going to add. I was going to add that in when I do the lighting for dungeons if you wanted to have a candle/torch system. As for the weather and environment that could be something very awesome to add in the future. Loads of ideas and it is really fun to code them :D.

Thanks again reocwolf!

Joey,
    Troll Bridge Studios

8. aspire9

aspire9

Do you plan to add a eventsystem to this kit?
    And which features are to come next?

9. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Hey aspire9!

What sort of event system(s) did you have in mind?

Currently I am working on the Pro Kit and I am adding a new Camera and then a Tile System as we speak :D.

Some (no where near all I have written down) of the future implementations I have currently planned are :

Tile System
    Mobile Compatible
    Quest System
    Better Dialogue System for selecting options and setting up specific dialogues from the same NPC as some examples
    Leveling System
    Skills and Spells
    Shops
    More control over the inventory
    Crafting
    Day Night Cycle
    Turn Based Combat System (Think Pokemon and early Final Fantasy combat system)
    Turn Based Combat Demo

I will always be open for ideas on mechanics you all would love to see and have at your possession so just let me know. Depending on what exactly people want I can even make separate assets that are more specific (such as a whole system that would be like Cookie Clicker, Angry Birds, Boom Beach, etc) or if it is in line with the Top Down 2D RPG Kit I will just add more juice to that baby! :p

Let me know aspire9 if I happened to answer your questions in detail or if I missed something.

Joey,
    Troll Bridge Studios

10. aspire9

aspire9

Thanks for your detailed answer. This all sounds very promising. Do you have a estimated release date for the pro version?
    What i meant was a quest system - glad to see that this is already on your list :)

11. aspire9

aspire9

Is there an example for a ranged weapon (like cross and bow) in the starter kit included?

Also, any news on the pro version?

Edit: Nevermind, i just bought it :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  12. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Hey aspire9!

Melee weapons are only in the starter kit. The pro version will have spells and ranged attacks though :D.

As for the time release for the PRO, Networking is taking some time so you can all have the ability to create LAN/Network type of games.

Joey,
    Troll Bridge Studios

13. aspire9

aspire9

Good to hear that this will be in the pro version.
    I have a few ideas for future updates:
    • the ability for the player to dodge/roll (for example like in Titan Souls)
    • use the inventory with WASD + SPACE, to play the whole game without a mouse
    • notes (for example "Bills Note") should be items that can be opened in the inventory so one can read it (not only the small description tooltip)
    • better dialogue system or compatibility with pixel crushers dialogue system in asset store
    • small cutscenes
    • day/night cycle (i have seen that you are already working on this) + some NPCs only appear during night/day

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Trollypolly likes this.
  14. aspire9

aspire9

any news on the compatibility with pixel crushers dialogue system?

Trollypolly likes this.
  15. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Hey Aspire9,

No news on the new dialogue yet. It is on my list of things to either add/rework and currently I am working on shading/lighting system like Don't Starve where you need a torch to give you visibility sort of thing. I am also working along with that are some weather overlays/visuals.

I will make the new dialogue system work with choosing options, quests and anything else myself or you all want so you will not have to go to an outside asset. I feel keeping everything in 1 asset saves people money and time so I will try that approach.

Thanks Aspire9 for the ideas and the desires of what you would like to see in the kit as that sort of direction helps me out a lot.

Joey,
    Troll Bridge Studios

16. aspire9

aspire9

There will be no updates for the Starter Kit anymore, am i right?
    So the next update will be the Pro Version of the kit. Is there a possibility (for owners of the starter kit) to get the pro version earlier, even if it is not finished yet? So one can keep building his game on top of the newest features the kit provides.

Anyway, I like the idea of keeping everything in one asset. Like you said it saves people money and also you don't have to deal with compatibility problems :)

Best regards!

17. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Hey aspire9,

I don't like absolutes and say it will never get another update but there may be some things down the road I will add or change around to the Starter Kit that will help everyone out a bit more.

The next release should be the Pro Kit. As for releasing early (not 100% completed) I am not sure if that is a good idea. As there have been some things promised in the Pro kit that wouldn't be out during that time which could upset some people especially if there is a lot of assumptions of what they are buying based on previous comments myself or Jimmy has made. Another thing too is that so much has been added that some structure got reworked so pretty much think of the Pro Kit as another asset rather than an upgrade but if you bought the Starter Kit the price of that will be deducted from the Pro Kit (As far as I know Unity has this option which is pretty sweet.).

I hope this information helps out a bit and thanks again Aspire9!

Joey,
    Troll Bridge Studios

aspire9 likes this.
  18. aspire9

aspire9

any news on the pro version?

19. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Finished up the new dialogue which a good amount of people were asking for : http://clip2net.com/s/3Lotaks

Working on a shop system and quest system next.

After that I have a few more things on the list that I hope I can push out in the near future.

Any additions to the kit you come across feel free to let it rip and ill add it to the list of future implementations.

Joey,
    Troll Bridge Studios

20. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

What happend with the pro version?! :(

21. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Hey Devision4,

It is still a work in progress. Summer has taken up a lot of my time for some slight travel and seeing family. It wont be much longer before the Pro version will be good to go.

Joey,
    Troll Bridge Studios

22. Supergeek

Supergeek

Keeping tabs on this. I have a project in mind for it.

23. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Hey Supergeek,

Glad to see that! Most of the final additions are added and currently finishing up the whole skill system.

Joey,
    Troll Bridge Studios