Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

[WIP] 2D Top Down RPG System - Unity Asset

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by JimmyV, Jul 28, 2015.

1. JimmyV

JimmyV

Update 1.3
    1.3 is the biggest update yet. It is packed full of additional functionality and also fixes some bugs that were found in 1.2. Unity 5.3 is now required to run 1.3. The update is currently being reviewed by Unity and will be released shortly. Over the next few days we are working on updating the media (screenshots and trailer), but we wanted to get this update out to our userbase ASAP before all that stuff, because we know a few of you have been waiting for it. Thanks for your patience, and as always we are open to feedback. :)
    • Added Heart Display for HP
    • Added more State Animations for Player and NPC
    • Added Combat system
    • Added Immunity scripts
    • Added weapon attack sprite sorting
    • Added ability to drop bombs (mom’s spaghetti) and display the bomb amount in a UI
    • Added script that holds and will reference your equipment
    • Added ability to create infinite amount of unique keys and display key amount in UI
    • Added ability to create infinite amount of unique money and display money amount in UI
    • Added a script to handle NPC and enemy animation movement of all types
    • Added AI, Point to Point movement (updated) and Follow Closest Type
    • Added unique destroy scripts
    • Updated and fixed bugs in the Dialogue
    • Updated Icon Display
    • Added static class Grid to reference singleton like GameObjects
    • Added GUI Helper static class to have an organized Text, Image and Sprite manipulation
    • Added Setup script to setup the basics of your game
    • Added Inventory
    • Added Tooltips
    • Added Chest functionality
    • Added scripts that handle what should happen on any explosion collision
    • Added layer scripts for changing GameObjects layer and sprite renderer layers
    • Added depth layering
    • Added loot system
    • Added Background music management
    • Added ability to play sounds when a GameObject becomes Active or Inactive
    • Added more ways to go to another scene
    • Added Scene Location Script to handle creating the player (IF not created already) and positioning it at key locations
    • Added Save and Load feature
    • Added Start, Continue and Quit game logic as well as the Buttons that call the logic

Update 1.2

• Interactive Objects - Partially Done
    • Object glow system (objects glow when the player is close) - No Glow in 1.2 or 1.3, moving into Pro.
    • Basic Dialogue System - Done
    • Basic NPC Movement - Done
    As always, the features will be fully customizable and easy to implement. I know I got asked for shops and inventory, so that is high on the priority list and may come before the combat system is created. I am still working out the plans.

UPDATE: 11-13-15

Hello everyone! I wanted to let everyone know update 1.10 has been released to the store and contains the following updates and changes:

• Added Editors
    • Added UI System
    • Added Options System
    • Added Additional Camera type
    • Added sounds to the object interactions
    • Added Main Menu
    • Fixed a few graphical issues with the camera
    • Updated some of the scripts to be more streamlined

UPDATE: 9-29-15
    Big news everybody! The Top Down 2D RPG Kit - Starter Version has been approved and is now available in the asset store! Link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/43566
    I'll be continually working with developers to making updates and adding features as requested, so please either post here or shoot me an email at the troll bridge support email.

Some features that I'm currently working on:
    • More Scripts to make objects interactive with customizable outcomes (switches, lighting, looting)
    • Basic Start and Option Screens
    • Basic UI
    • Basic Inventory System (excluding equipping items at the moment until I have a stat system in place)

I am in the process of creating a top-down 2D ARPG system that would allow developers to easily create games similar to Binding of Isaac, Legend of Zelda, and Crystalis. I want to help your Top Down 2D heroes triumph over an interactive world full of fun enemies and traps with style! I am working on breaking up the project into different kits that can be easily implemented based on the developer's current needs. Here is the current plan for the kits (keep in mind these may change as the project progresses):

Current Features - Starter Version

• Camera Operations
      • Player dependent camera that follows the player, with bounds set on the scene to inhibit camera location, similar to the camera in Crystalis.

• Room dependent camera, similar to Binding of Isaac or Legend of Zelda (NES), revealing the rooms only when the player enters the area.

• Player Movement
      • Movement that can be customized to include different direction types:
        • 4 Direction

• 8 Direction

• Interactive Environments
      • Make objects allowed to be moved and manipulated by the player (boulders)

• Make objects have negative or positive effects on the player's movement (water, mud, sand)
    • Teleportation! That's right, tele-freaking-portation. Who would want to walk when you can just teleport?

Update 8-3-15:
    • Added a wind system that has an effect on the player's movement.

Note: You can't see see it well because of the gif resolution, but there are leaf particles flying around. :p
    • Added a scene changing system that can be customized to move in and out of scenes at specific locations on the scene.

Update 8-9-15:

• Added a destroy trigger system that can be used to destroy objects.
    In the example below, I use the pushable script to push a bookshelf and destroy a wall that is holding a chest behind it.

Update 8-15-15:
    Hello Again! Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I wanted to release another update and say that I've added scripts to manage sounds and music in Starter Kit! Right now the script plays music for your scene. It allows music to be changed from scene to scene or continued to be played.

Update 2-3-16

Fully customizable dialogue system.

My first kit is nearing completion and I'll have an update very soon in regards to when I'll be releasing it. Thanks again for feedback, It's been great!

I'll have more updates about the pro version after I get feedback about the first kit. I'm making some adjustments based on what the Unity Community wants to see in a more advanced toolset that will contain Combat, AI, Basic Inventory and Health systems.

Let me know what you think so far! What kind of things would you want the system to include? Thanks in advanced for your feedback.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. Serinx

Serinx

Hey this looks pretty good so far!

Something you might want to add is shops and inventory, keep up the good work :)

JimmyV likes this.
  3. JimmyV

JimmyV

Thanks Serinx. I was thinking about adding inventory to Kit 3 possibly. It would naturally come after the combat system was implemented, where you can start to loot and grab items. I'll have to keep iterating and see what I can come up with.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I believe if I was creating this system inventory would come sooner than later. Its an important part of rpgs.
    More so than any affliction effects.
    Maybe you can move some stuff around so inventory can fit into the second kit.
    Either way - I agree with Serinx, this is looking like a very useful pack.
    Nice work so far.

JimmyV likes this.
  5. JimmyV

JimmyV

Hmm..okay so it sounds like so far the inventory system has been on the top of peoples lists. Let me see what I can do about moving that in sooner. Thanks!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. JimmyV

JimmyV

Update 8-3-15:
    Hi Everyone!
    Based on the feedback I've gotten about Kit 1 I've added 2 new features:
    • Customizable Scene change system - you can use the system to change scenes for scene exits and houses. You can even make the exit completely different from the entrance if you choose to.
    • Wind - I've added a wind element system that pushes the player in a specified direction and uses the shuriken particle system for visual effects.
    I'll post some gifs of the new additions later today.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. JimmyV

JimmyV

Update 8-9-15:

Hello! Quick update! I've added a destroy trigger system that can be used to destroy objects. In the example below, I use the pushable script to push a bookshelf and destroy a wall that is holding a chest behind it. My first kit is nearing completion and I'll have an update very soon in regards to when I'll be releasing it. Thanks again for feedback, It's been great!​

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. JimmyV

JimmyV

Update 8-15-15:

Hello Again! Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I wanted to release another update and say that I've added scripts to manage sounds and music in kit 1! Right now the script plays music for your scene. It allows music to be changed from scene to scene or continued to be played.

9. MetallimaN

MetallimaN

This looks great. Can't wait for it it to be released.

10. JimmyV

JimmyV

11. JimmyV

JimmyV

Update: 11-13-15
    • Added Editors
    • Added UI System
    • Added Options System
    • Added Additional Camera type
    • Added sounds to the object interactions
    • Added Main Menu
    • Fixed a few graphical issues with the camera
    • Updated some of the scripts to be more streamlined

12. Beast Hero

Beast Hero

Great work, looking forward to the combat system!

JimmyV likes this.
  13. JimmyV

JimmyV

Update 2-3-16
    Finalizing dialogue system, will be releasing shortly. The dialogue system includes:
    • Customizable dialogue bubbles (fade, type text)
    • Set Action button or Area dialogue triggers
    • Freeze player or allow movement (though it's rude to walk away from someone talking to you!)
    • Use them for signs, bookshelves, enemies, NPCs
    • Floating objects about NPC's heads (quest givers or shops)
    Also working on a simple NPC movement system to accompany all of the above.

14. JimmyV

JimmyV

Thanks Beast Hero! How is your project going? Combat system is the next thing we will be working on after the dialogue system update.

15. aspire9

aspire9

are there any news on the next update?
    would like to see the new features before i buy the asset :)

JimmyV likes this.
  16. JimmyV

JimmyV

Hey Aspire9! Yes I'm testing everything and updating documentation this week. My hope is we roll out the update with the new features by the 15th at the latest. Also, because we've added so much since 1.0 I am working on updating the web player demo and videos, so those will accompany the update as well.

17. aspire9

aspire9

good to hear!
    A feature i'm sure a lot people would like to see is some kind of event/quest system. do you have plans regarding this?

18. zenGarden

zenGarden

Do you have navigation like this Map editor ?
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/25657

Your pack looks more like a "2D character and camera system", it should not be called RPG.
    An system is defined mainly by :
    - inventory
    - merchant inventory
    - crafting and editor
    - quests system and editor
    - loot system
    - XP system

Good luck with your plugin.

19. JimmyV

JimmyV

You know you're in the "Works in Progress" forums right?

20. aspire9

aspire9

I will buy this when inventory and quest system is included :)

21. abatcat

abatcat

any news on your progress?

22. JimmyV

JimmyV

Hey abatcat I'm just wrapping up a heavy development cycle on another project, which will be done by the end of this week. I've been MIA because of this but once that wraps up I'll be back at making starter kit better.

I'm going to look at adding a basic combat and inventory system to the starter kit before I move on to the Pro version. That will be the next major update to starter kit. I'll post my progress here with notes and gifs as usual!

23. nproject

nproject

@JimmyV I want to ask question, I creating a 2D pixel art and curius about when player below and above bridge like pic in attachment. Can your RPG kit help me solve this problem ? or maybe you have idea to solve this?

Thanks
    PS, pic from Faraway Game (Not my game)

jisMd5m.png

JimmyV likes this.
  24. JimmyV

JimmyV

Hi nproject! Shoot me an email over at support@trollbridgestudios.com. I'll help you come up with a solution as well as implement something into the kit for this scenario.

25. nproject

nproject

Hi @JimmyV, I already sent you email.

Thanks

26. zenGarden

zenGarden

I would simple detect when the player in walking on moutains 2D Tiles and activate the bridge collision to have the character walking on the bridge, and change character Z order to be displayed on top . When the characters leaves the moutain Tiles you de activate the bridge collision so you can walk under it , and you change character or bridge Z order to have the bridge displayed on top.
    Or you can detect when the player is near the bridge with two collision box on each side of the bridge to know when the player can cross the bridge ; than you can activate the bridge collision.
    I hope it helps.

btw : nice graphics :)

27. JimmyV

JimmyV

Yes, this makes sense. I like the idea of having triggers detect when the player is walking across the bridge. I would use sorting layer instead of Z order though. You can set the default sorting layer to be under the bridge, so you'll only need to deal with one set of triggers. This is def something that needs to be in the kit, so I'll put a script for this in the next update.

zenGarden likes this.
  28. JimmyV

JimmyV

Okay cool. I expanded on zenGarden's idea as well in the meantime.

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

Perhaps one collision area is enought instead of two, a collision that covers the bridge and expands a little on the sides , when the character is on collision (on collision stay), you activate the bridge collision.

30. nproject

nproject

Thanks @zenGarden, I will also try your solution.
    btw that is not my game :p

Cool, I will definitely buy this kit. In next update :D

31. zenGarden

zenGarden

It was lokiing really nice game, i hope you'll make some appealing one like that :D

32. nproject

nproject

Hahaha Thanks

33. JimmyV

JimmyV

Hi nproject,

We've got an example setup with what you're asking for in the next update:

upload_2016-4-27_14-31-26.png

34. JimmyV

JimmyV

Hi Everyone,

The 1.3 update is packed with stuff, so that's why it's taking so long to be released. The next update doubles the amount of content that is in the starter kit, and puts a wrap on all the basic functionality. The kit will also be updated to Unity 5.3, to ensure the most compatibility. After 1.3 most updates will be minor to the starter kit and work will begin on the pro version.

I'll follow up with information when the kit is released and of course answer any questions that come up.

I know many have been asking for combat. Ask and you shall receive...​

35. nproject

nproject

Wow cool :eek:

36. JimmyV

JimmyV

Inventory...1.3 is just getting insane and way past due and I'm very sorry for that. A lot is getting packed into this update...

37. JacksonBurrell1

JacksonBurrell1

Hey @JimmyV , I just purchased your asset, how are things going with it? The work must be quite stressful but Inventory and Combat should be your only priority as of now, so people can start working on their games with (pretty much) everything ready to go. Other than that, nifty little package, keep up the good work, looking forward to your future updates! and hopefully more to come.

38. JimmyV

JimmyV

Yo! Testing stuff now. Joey can go into detail, he has been working hard on the scripting. He should be able to respond with more details soon.

39. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

@JacksonBurrell1 Hey Jackson! Just wanted to let you know I am the coder for the kit (Joey). The work does seem never ending haha but the Starter Kit is in its final stages (I know I been saying that for awhile lol but time has not been on my side lately :p). I finish something up and keep on adding new stuff >.< but hey it will be awesome for you all when it is done. Have no fear though Inventory AND combat will be in this next update with hilarious amounts of other mechanics that you can use in your game. In this next update literally 50-60+ scripts are being added ranging from inventory, items, equipping items, player stats, enemy stats, combat, terrain that can explode from bombs, keys, chests, saving your data from scene to scene and "Continue" game capability :
    1. For example opening a chest and making sure the chest stays open even if you leave the scene and come back.
    2. GameObjects you want to save the data of its position if you were to leave the scene and come back.
    3. GameObjects you want to save the if it should be Active or Inactive if you were to leave the scene and come back.

and loads more. Just keep in mind after this update for the Starter Kit the new stuff will probably be added to the Pro version of the kit but I will still add some things to the starter from time to time. It's just that I think the Starter Kit has enough in it unless you all think something should be added and I will add any ideas to my whiteboard which is running out of room ha!

Thanks JacksonBurrell1 for the compliment and I am glad you like the Starter Kit so far! More to come! Yay!!!

abatcat likes this.
  40. SKYFIRE1000

SKYFIRE1000

Awesome asset, any plans to add mobile controls to it?

41. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Hey SKYFIRE1000,
    Woot I am glad you like the asset so far! Mobile Control compatibility is 100% planned but will be added in the PRO version of this kit. I have been getting great feedback and future implementations from you all that I think I will have to buy another whiteboard to make more room lol. But you are not the only one who asked for mobile support in general so it is def up there on the priority list for when all the new mechanics get added for the PRO version of the kit.

Thanks for the post SKYFIRE1000 and I hope this kit helps you get many steps closer to making your game.

42. SKYFIRE1000

SKYFIRE1000

Okay sounds pretty amazing. I think mobile support is very important, probably going to buy the Pro version then (since im not super pro). I know its tough and.. but any ROUGH idea when the pro version will be available? like Q1/2017? For org your development I can highly recommend trello. Just like this (example): https://trello.com/b/8NWlz8tf/genericshooter-blueprint-project

keep it up!

Cheers

43. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Hey SKYFIRE1000,
    Thanks for the advice for project organization. At the moment we def use Trello, Slack and Source Tree for project organization. This may be the inexperience on my part to project a release date but once I finish this update for the starter kit and re-asses all the future implementation that myself and Jimmy wanted to put in as well as the ideas that you all have done through emails is hard and what I am afraid of is giving a release date and then having that pushed back to only put frustration on you all for crushed hopes and dreams.

I am very active on here and our emails so if anything big or great happens I will be letting you all know through here or mass email spam haha.

44. aspire9

aspire9

Do you recommend to wait for the big update before start building a game?

45. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

You can start making your game now, the scripts that are already there have not changed drastically (only a few had like 1 or 2 variable changes so nothing that would take you hours to search through all your scenes to fix). There are 70+ scripts being added in this next update (I am finally done with the code and bugs and now working on documentation and then re-browse through my emails and address everyone's ideas/issues/requests they had on the kit. Also there are 2 developer tools that will be in this kit but will also be sold individually because of their purpose in this next update.

I really do apologize for how long of a wait this has been but I am finally getting to the final stretch. I never thought I would ever stop coding for this update but adding new things is soooooo much fun haha.

EDIT : Keep in mind that I should have this submitted within the next 1 or 2 days but it will take a lil bit longer for Unity to update it to their store and always make a backup before updating anything.

Troll Bridge Studios

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  46. JimmyV

JimmyV

Hey nproject,

1.3 now has this functionality of moving through a scene with a bridge and an example in the kit that specifically addresses this. Let us know if you want to go into detail about it, we are more than happy to hop on a skype call or a hangout to discuss :)

Cheers,

TBS

47. JessieK

JessieK

Oh awesome you added combat, I was honestly waiting for this before I bought it, is it possible to see an example of combat so I can know what to expect? (I saw the one gif of them swinging a sword but maybe something like hitting enemy AI and them hitting you?)

Also do you know whats planned for future versions I for one would happily pay for some more awesome features.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  48. RexInMonte

RexInMonte

After the 'gold' and module update I think Trello isn't really recommended anymore.
    But project tracking for the pro version of this project would indeed be awesome!

I bough it some time ago, before the 1.3 update.
    Missed some essential features so I didn't use it for awhile.
    1.3 looks awesome so far and I will play with it the next few days :)

49. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Howdy JessieK,
    Yes we just got our new video approved so you can see the combat a little bit in action. It is along the lines of Zelda Link to the Past but as time goes on I will make sure this Kit has pretty much anything and everything you can have in a Top Down 2D Kit.

Joey,
    Troll Bridge Studios

50. Trollypolly

Trollypolly

Hi TheSevenSeas,
    I hope 1.3 is along the lines of what you are looking for to get started on your game. Let me know if you have any trouble getting anything to work. I am working on small additions and fixes right now and trying to get this new version 1.3.0.1 out later today.

unityunity