Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Video WindowsVideoMedia errors when importing monoscopic and stereoscopic 360 video files

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Selzier, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Selzier

Selzier

Details about this bug have been demonstrated in a video, please view here:

1. Create an monoscopic or stereoscopic mp4 video file using FFMPEG.
    The following assets both create videos using FFMPEG.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/35102
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38755
    Example File:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/re32o5ttpu6wrvy/minecraft2048.mp4?dl=0

2. Import the mp4 video file into Unity. The following errors will be experienced:

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/_NurfaceAssets/IndividualPacks/VideoErrorBug56/Assets/minecraft2048.mp4
    Context: Setting media type for first video stream
    Error details: No suitable transform was found to encode or decode the content.
    Track types:
    Video Track, type: 1cva

UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:projectWindowDrag(HierarchyProperty, Boolean)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Error while reading movie: Assets/minecraft2048.mp4
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:projectWindowDrag(HierarchyProperty, Boolean)

Movie encoding error [Assets/minecraft2048.mp4]

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/_NurfaceAssets/IndividualPacks/VideoErrorBug56/Assets/minecraft2048.mp4

Track types:
    Video Track, type: 1cva

2. Selzier

Selzier

I've opened a bug report with Unity but they cannot reproduce the error.
    https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?903529_okqqupglmk9t379n

If you have this WindowsVideoMedia error, please reply to this thread with the following information (and anything else you can think of):
    - Your exact WindowsVideoMedia error
    - Unity Version
    - Operation System, and version
    - If you have Quicktime installed

3. Bigrin

Bigrin

Hi the error I get in the unity console is:

WindowsVideoMedia error 0x80070057 while reading jar://file://E:/Unity_Development_v5.6.0f3/VideoPlayerV0.2/VideoPlayerV0.2/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4

Context: MFCreateSourceReaderFromURL
    Error details: The parameter is incorrect.

Unity Version is : 5.6.0f3
    Operating system is : Windows 10 Home edition
    Do not have Quicktime

Trying to build for GearVR on samsung S6

Selzier likes this.
  4. EdzuanTengku

EdzuanTengku

Same error.

Unity version is : 5.6.0f3
    I have Quicktime

Trying to build for Android more specifically Cardboard.

5. EdzuanTengku

EdzuanTengku

I removed jar:// in the code below and it worked but i'm not sure if it will work if i build it my galaxy s7.

public override void SetClip(string fileName)
    {
    if (!fileName.EndsWith(".mp4")) fileName = fileName + ".mp4";

var url = "file://" + Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/" + fileName;

#if UNITY_ANDROID
    url = url;
    #endif

videoPlayer.url = url;
    videoPlayer.Prepare();
    }

6. EdzuanTengku

EdzuanTengku

okay... I've figured out what the problem was.... on windows..... it wasn't able to identify the name of file if using Android build

it was trying to read the file as
    "jar://file://E:/Unity_Development_v5.6.0f3/VideoPlayerV0.2/VideoPlayerV0.2/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4"

after removing jar:// ... windows was able to find it.

HOWEVER, the problem now resides when i build it onto my android phone.. where it now can't identify where the assets are on mobile...

although this is what i think it means

7. EdzuanTengku

EdzuanTengku

@Selzier I have now got it to work on Android..

Changed the script on "VideoPlayerControllerUVP.cs" to the following :-

#if UNITY_ANDROID
    url = Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/" + fileName;

kannankans52 likes this.
  8. EdzuanTengku

EdzuanTengku

Now this also works on windows without the previous error. #ThankGodForCodingClasses

9. Selzier

Selzier

In my video in the first post, I get WindowsVideoMedia errors without my "360 Video Controls" pack imported into the project. I'm just using plain Unity, and importing the .mp4, and I get the error (not using my pack).

Are you saying that you no longer have WindowsVideoMedia errors after modifying my scripts? How does this fix the WindowsVideoMedia error if I get the error without using my scripts at all?

The error you experienced: WindowsVideoMedia error 0x80070057 is different than the one I had, WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212.

Maybe there's one error that is resolved via the code you fixed but there's another error which is some bug in Unity? I'll keep investigating , thanks for the help.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  10. Selzier

Selzier

Having changed the script as you suggested, I'm still getting the following errors when trying to play video:

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading file://C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/360VideoPlayer9_56/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4

Track types:
    Audio Track, type:
    UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:set_url(String)

Can't play movie [file://C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/360VideoPlayer9_56/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4]
    UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:set_url(String)

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading file://C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/360VideoPlayer9_56/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4

Track types:
    Audio Track, type:
    UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:prepare()

Can't play movie [file://C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/360VideoPlayer9_56/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4]
    UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:prepare()

Track types:
    Audio Track, type:
    UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:play()

UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:play()

11. EdzuanTengku

EdzuanTengku

Could it be due to Windows 7 and 10 differences? I came about the solution after reading through a post about windows 10 and the way it read files by a gentlemen who was working with hololense.

Selzier likes this.
  12. ATMEthan

ATMEthan

Getting this as well.

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading D:/ArbysVR/Assets/Arby's C3/Video/-1_Test/Silly_Goose_alpha_01.mov

Track types:
    Video Track, type: h4pa
    Unity561f1
    Windows 10 Pro
    No quicktime installed

13. Selzier

Selzier

14. Stevieconnell

Stevieconnell

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading C:/Users/Home/Documents/Virtual reality work/How to build a video VR app/Assets/Video/360_0024_injected.mp4

Track types:
    Audio Track, type:
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Anyone found a real solution to this one yet?? Seems like a major bug to me.

15. Torresmo

Torresmo

Having the same issue on Windows 7 machines with quicktime installed. Also tested running Unity as administrator, no luck. Windows 10 and Mac OS machines work fine.

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading E:/Project/Assets/Resources/Video/opening_trailer.mp4

Track types:
    Audio Track, type:

16. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone!

We're using Media Foundation to decode H.264 videos on Microsoft platforms. And on Windows 7, Media Foundation cannot decode resolutions above 1920x1088. You can see the note saying "In Windows 7, the maximum ..." in here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd797815(v=vs.85).aspx

On Windows versions above this, the limit (also stated in the link) is 4096x2304.

We'll try to improve error reporting so that people don't get puzzled when hitting this. The message we're getting out of Media Foundation (which is what we currently print out in the log) is obviously not precise enough, so we'll see if we can still discover the file resolution and provide a more specific message about this.

Dominique
    A/V developer at Unity.

Selzier likes this.
  17. VadimDobrogursky

VadimDobrogursky

But this happens not only on Windows 7 machines.

18. ninuxw

ninuxw

I am having this problem with windows 7 on the build version with a video with exactly 1920x1088 resolution...

19. ninuxw

ninuxw

For anyone having this issue, trans coding the video to VP8 did the trick for me.

20. thilde_09

thilde_09

Did it for me as well! Thanks

trakevital likes this.
  21. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Same here, I'm not being able to trans code some videos in Windows 7, the same videos are trans coded with no problems on Windows 10...

22. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I got this error too for a ProRes4444 .mov with alpha. It cannot transcode and show the movie. The alpha button also does not show up. Unity 2018.2.

23. elettrozero

elettrozero

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d36b4 while reading D:\TQRec\drinkinggang.mp4

Context: IMFSinkWriter::SetInputMediaType (audio, some AAC parameters may be unsupported)
    Error details: The data specified for the media type is invalid, inconsistent, or not supported by this object.
    Track types:

UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

It seems to be related to audio codec...

24. elettrozero

elettrozero

Setting Unity audio from Surround to Stereo make Recorder work...

25. Artem1251

Artem1251

26. hanneswu

hanneswu

Getting the same error saying:

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d36b4 while reading D:/Projects/360Video/OculusVideoPlayerUnity2019/Assets/VIDEOS MAX/MyVideo.mp4

Error details: The data specified for the media type is invalid, inconsistent, or not supported by this object.
    Track types:
    Video Track [7680 x 3840], type: HEVC
    Resolution exceeds the Microsoft Media Foundation decoder limit of 4096 x 2304 on Windows 10 and above.
    Install HEVC Video Extensions to enable HEVC format support on compatible devices.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions/9nmzlz57r3t7

UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Using Windows 10
    Unity 2019.4.16f1
    HEVC Video Extensions installed
    Video Encoder: H265, Video Resolution: 8k, [7680 x 3840]

27. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I get the same with 2021.1.3f. Never had it before, just came out of the blue. Anybody knows what this is about?

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d36e5 while reading C:/Unity/traVRsal-2021/Assets/3rd-Party-Graphics/Shift - Complete Sci-Fi UI/Textures/Background/Background Advanced.mp4

Context: IMFSourceReader::SetCurrentPosition in SetSecPosition
    Error details: Der Vorgang auf dem aktuellen Offset ist unzul糳ig.
    Track types:
    Audio Track, type: %10%16
    Video Track [1920 x 1080], type: H264

28. darmova

darmova

Getting the same error after updating a project from unity 2018 to 2020, in the prev editor it worked fine, both in editor and in build. The most surprising part, error only started showing up after I hit "reimport all" assets button. It was working before without recompiling library.. the exact error:

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d36b4 while reading D:/some/video/path.mp4
    Context: IMFSourceReader::WaitForSample in StepAllStreams
    Track types:
    Unreadable Track

andresleonardogomez likes this.
  29. LucasHehir

LucasHehir

Still getting it in 2022 via Cloud Build on a project that previously built just fine - same files, same platform.

30. elDiablik

elDiablik

Unity 2021.3.0f1 same error
    Video with Alpha chanel (transparency)

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading D:/Folder/Assets/UI/VideoFiles/Comp_4.mov
    Track types:
    Video Track [1920 x 1080], type: elr
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

31. The_Island

The_Island

Unity Technologies

Can you play the file outside Unity on Windows? Is it working if you use the Windows Player coming with the OS? MOV supports H264, H265 and Apple ProRes; in all 3, only ProRes natively supports an alpha channel. ProRes is specific to Apple platforms, so Windows can't decode the file. So if you can't play the file outside of Unity on Windows, you should export to webm, which supports alpha natively.