Search Unity

Windows XP Support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ddulshan, Mar 28, 2016.

1. ddulshan

ddulshan

Hey guys, just a little simple question which I cant seems to find an answer.

What is the latest version of Unity that supports Windows XP?

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'd say probably Unity 4, but I could be wrong. I haven't had XP in like forever lol.

Meltdown likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity 5.2.4. It was dropped starting with 5.3.

4. darkhog

darkhog

Why would you use insecure, not updated POS operating system anyway? And no, I don't mean "point of sale".

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Ah, Linux. The OS where having an exploit is good because it means you can run it on PlayStation. :p

Martin_H likes this.
  6. toto2003

toto2003

wonder how u do that, i d love to try to make a build on it

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Probably most of us wouldn't. But some of the less technical people playing our games/sims... different story. :)

8. darkhog

darkhog

Then it's our obligation as game developers to make them upgrade. The less games run on those outdated OS, the better as there is higher chance they'll upgrade because they can't run game they want to play.

I have absolutely no idea what are you talking about.

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

We don't all make "games", and plenty of us make software for people who don't necessarily control the computer it runs on. For instance, plenty of government departments and/or schools still have ancient computers in use. They're not always going to perform an upgrade just because we say so, but they will pick someone else to do the job or select different software to buy if we can't supply something that will run on their systems.

So the reality of the world is that we can't all be idealistic crusaders about what software other people should be running.

10. darkhog

darkhog

That's why we need to make sure there's as little "other" products that do what our product/game does as possible so upgrade looks like a better option either by convincing other developers that supporting WinXP and older is not worth it or making superior product that is just better and you'd need whole set of other software to replace it.

Also non-game application in Unity? Seriously?

11. zyzyx

zyzyx

12. ddulshan

ddulshan

Thanks! And You are 100% sure right?

Some serious discussion going on here. LoL. And about using WinXP. I have my reasons. ;)

13. neginfinity

neginfinity

Then it is obligation of the customer to show middle finger to this kind of developers.

If they're running WinXP, it is not your job to make them upgrade, unless you're microsoft. Your gaming application should not require advanced functionality to begin with.

Mark WinXP as unsupported. Your app might still work on winxp regardless of that (someone modded first XCom to run on WinXP, by the way. The game ran in DX9 mode and required almost nothing from windows7/vista).

WinXP still has larger market share than MacOS, by the way.

14. landon912

landon912

At my old warehouse I used to work at, we had Windows 98 PCs in the office and used command line terminals as POS computers. While that company isn't in the market to buy games, they may want some software for training. When companies get big, things that "work" never get any attention.

angrypenguin likes this.
  15. ddulshan

ddulshan

One of my reasons. :D

Martin_H likes this.
  16. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I just saw some awesome 1024x768 desktop Win 98 action at the Dr office a couple weeks ago. :eek:

Martin_H and Sslaxx like this.
  17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

All versions of Unity support Windows XP on standalone player and web player. Not for the editor though: you want to use 64-bit editor, and 64-bit isn't practical on XP. It can't die fast enough :(. The drop in its market share did accelerate over the last year though, so hopefully it drops below the threshold that we care about soon.

I'm so happy that the problem of outdated Windows will be obsolete when everyone updates to Windows 10 - it will make developers lives much easier. Supporting old OSs is a PITA.

18. ddulshan

ddulshan

LMFAO

Ya I understand, had enough of WinXP anyway. ;) Had to install this due to some issues with Win7. I'll get a new Computer soon! :D

19. yoonitee

yoonitee

Never going to happen.

20. neginfinity

neginfinity

It will, but it will take about 10 years or more.

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

22. darkhog

darkhog

I am perfectly aware they can be done, just Unity isn't best tool for the job. There are games made in... Excel. Doesn't mean Excel is a good tool for making games.

23. darkhog

darkhog

24. Ryiah

Ryiah

I thought it would have been a given that it was with the PlayStation itself. Guess I was wrong. :p

25. darkhog

darkhog

The way you've written it, which was:
    implied that it is exploit in Linux.

26. neginfinity

neginfinity

After googling related info, I found out that PS4 is running on modified FreeBSD. That was actually more unexpected.

Ryiah likes this.
  27. Ryiah

Ryiah

It wasn't my intention. I just have a bad habit of wording things that sound way better in my own head than out loud. :p

BSD has a much more permissive license.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  28. neginfinity

neginfinity

(-_-)
    I know that. Still didn't expect to find it in PS4.

29. Ryiah

Ryiah

:p

I'd have to imagine it's far cheaper to hire someone who is familiar with it than hiring a team to develop a new OS. It might have surprised me if I hadn't already known of other companies using the BSDs as a base for their platform (eg Apple).

30. darkhog

darkhog

You mean Windows NSA Edition?

Teravisor and theANMATOR2b like this.
  31. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sure. Look up "simulation and training", it's not exactly a small industry.

zombiegorilla, Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  32. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Any time you need the power of 3D real time rendering then Unity is a good option. Games aren't the only thing that happens in 3D.

angrypenguin and theANMATOR2b like this.
  33. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

microsoft doesnt even support xp anymore!

darkhog and Kiwasi like this.
  34. Murgilod

Murgilod

It doesn't matter if they do or not if there's still a sizeable userbase using XP.

35. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, on hardware that is only borderline able to run Unity and it's a very lightweight development tool.

Edit: Although I suppose it doesn't matter. Most of the people running it only check their email and Facebook. :p

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  36. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

just sayin... chill.

half the pcs around me still run it...

angrypenguin likes this.
  37. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Maybe he's marketing games towards third world countries? It's an easy choice between water and videogames, right?

I almost got a job maintaining legacy software. I chose to risk having no job and keep looking. Old tech has no place in this world, so donate it to a third world :p

38. Ryiah

Ryiah

Third world countries that will likely just pirate Windows or install Linux? :p

darkhog likes this.
  39. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Now that you mention it, yea. I'm actually really surprised china didn't knock off windows or internet explorer. Data shows xp is still widely used in regions like that. Very odd... maybe they only make knock offs of quality products? :cool:

On a more serious note/tangent about 3rd world countries - they've got a really cool networking infrastructure. That whole "every computer and phone holds files accessible by other computers and phones, and that's our internet" thing they have going on is a neat idea. It's a peer to peer WAN :D

QFSW and theANMATOR2b like this.
  40. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

What still surprises me are the banks and hospitals in the USA that still run Windows XP. I even know of a few that still run Windows 2000. There are laws regulating security in those industries, so it is shocking that outdated operating systems with known vulnerabilities continue to get used by some of those companies.

tango209 likes this.
  41. Ryiah

Ryiah

Does their software platform exist as an application on Windows? Or does it run in a web browser? I'm not terribly familiar with any security-related stuff so I'd be inclined to believe the latter makes it less important to stay up to date.

42. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Only if they're running chrome or something. Microsoft declared all browsers below 11 no longer secure or supported. People who can't upgrade past xp probably also struggle to pick a good browser.

43. Ryiah

Ryiah

Were their browsers ever secure? :p

44. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I hope so, I usually use them to download a different browser :eek:

[cue internet explorer is the "browser you use to download your browser" memes]

Ryiah likes this.
  45. neginfinity

neginfinity

You have it backwards.

If the network is internal and is not connected to the outside world, there's no reason to ever update to anything.
    So, if your CT/XRay controller software is running on Win95, it will continue functioning forever. Also, if you update the system, your expensive tool may stop working.

Software doesn't rot, and quite a lot of people seem to be unable to wrap their head around this idea. You can also cut off your "vulnerable" software from outside world with a hardware firewall. upgrade of OS is a huge risk. Larger risk than running OS with known vulnerability, which can be plugged.

But wait, there's more! you can downgrade your OS all the way to MS-DOS. That way nothing will ever infect you because nobody writes wiruses for it and nobody expects you to be using something like that.

Microsoft also ended "mainstream support" for windows 7 last year.
    And I don't exactly see people screaming about how "windows 7" is "old, insecure and outdated and we should stop supporting it".

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  46. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This is actually relevant. My last employer ran several "isolated" systems on old software. They never connected to the Internet. You couldn't even plug in a usb drive.

In some applications stability and uptime is considered more important then security.

47. neginfinity

neginfinity

"Sarcasm" was meant for the last paragraph only (downgrade to MS-DOS), even in that case there was some truth in it.. (I actually saw couple of cash registers running on what appeared to be heavily modified FreeDOS.)

In the end, if there's no way to plug in USB, CDrom, memory card or a floppy drive, and there is no network access, then there is no way to attack the system.

"New and shiny" sometimes means "buggy and broken". "Old" often means "well-tested and proven to be reliable". At least when it is applied to software.

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  48. Ryiah

Ryiah

Were they running software written in QuickBASIC? From time to time, though nowhere near as frequently now, I've seen people mention it in "oldest software platform you're still maintaining" threads.

49. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

The more popular the news becomes, the more you will hear that. Allow me to start it for y'all.

Unsupported platforms are not secure. Abandon ship, jump ship, and have a pleasant afternoon. Windows is free after your windows 10 buy in, so git'r done.

50. Ryiah

Ryiah

On a Linux forum it becomes "Unsupported platforms are not secure, but the supported ones aren't secure either". :p