Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Web Player beta #3

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aras, May 13, 2006.

1. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

We released the third Windows Web Player beta.

Get it here: www.otee.dk/unity_beta/UnityWebPlayer.exe

Changes from the second beta:
    • The web player can automatically update itself, if the played content requires a newer Unity version or if we release fixes.
    • Improved plugin startup time.
    • Fixed cleanup issue when multiple web players are run concurrently.
    • Disabled separate rendering threads on some Intel video cards due to driver issues.
    • In Netscape-like browsers, "about" in the context menu actually does something!
    • The Unity runtime in this plugin contains lots of improvements that will be in the next Unity release. If you see speed increases, antialiasing or other features - don't panic - everything is ok.
    • (added May 16) Fixed wrong rendering or crashes on old video cards. No need to reinstall, the plugin should automatically update itself.

Both Unity Pro and Unity Indie can publish Web Players for Windows. However games made with Unity Indie will display a small Unity watermark.

If you find any bugs, please use the bug reporter (CrashHandlerApp.exe in install location). Always provide a link to the .unityweb file when reporting a bug.

2. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

You guys are doing great work!

Is there a standard link that we can use to test the webplayer?

I have been clicking on different links that sporadically come up on the boards.

Maybe a demo level of GooBall to really fully test the webplayer?

Again, great great work! It's fun to watch this progressing!

peace,
    dingo

3. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

I will chek it now

4. phoen

phoen

i can get the plugin running on my pc, but most of the time i only see the blue backgroundcolor of the webplayer. maybe the G550 chipset is the problem?

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Was it working before? If yes, must be a new bug. In any case, run CrashHandlerApp.exe from install location (default Program Files/OverTheEdge/Unity/WebPlayer) and send in the bug report. Possibly a link to the web player as well.

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yes, there was a new bug that I just fixed. Can you try again (the web player should automatically update itself)?

7. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi to all,

Please install the lastest video driver of your video card (I think all know this but is an advice), and if you have many computers (Windows PC) probe all to obtain an stable windows web player. NeARAZ provides quick responses and the web player is continously updated.

8. phoen

phoen

now it works on my system. thank you!

9. Sync1B

Sync1B

Does this release properly use VBO's on windows? Also have VBO's always worked properly in the windows standalone, or will that also get updated on the next version of unity?

Bill

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yes, it uses ARB VBOs on Windows. No, VBOs were not used to full extent on windows in 1.2.2, but they sure will in the upcoming release. Do you have any problems with it, or just notice a speed increase? :)

11. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Is this "Vertex Buffer Object"? Tried looking it up on Google. Sounds fancy, one of you guys mind educating me/us on what it means?

12. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yes it is. It's the "hardware friendly" way of submitting geometry data to the graphics card. On OSX Unity used Apple specific extensions to do that (Apple VAR), and now the ARB VBOs are coming to full use on Windows.

Direct3D has had this concept (vertex/index buffers) for years, I wonder why it took so damn long for OpenGL to finally invent an ARB extension to do that. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. OpenGL is not that bad. Sometimes...

13. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Thanks for the explanation. Open standards like OpenGL take longer to come around to new tech maybe, or it's dying a slow and painful death (I hope not)? Where's the "open standard" version of DirectX :wink:?