Search Unity

Windows Update purges license, projects fail to open with no message

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Baste, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Baste

Baste

Windows recently decided to update, and the Hub promptly decided that my license wasn't good anymore. This lead down a rabbit hole of bad design:

- When opening the hub for the first time after updating windows, it immediately opened the license management page, with a notification about the license being bad. But, the license was there in the list of licenses, so I thought this was just the Hub being silly, and ignored this

- When I tried to open a project after that, it wouldn't open, as I didn't have a valid license. But instead of the Hub or Unity itself telling me that that was the issue, the Hub behaved as if nothing was wrong, and Unity opened briefly and then promptly closed. Hell, I even checked the editor.log, and there was nothing, just a little:
    "Exiting without the bug reporter. Application will terminate with return code 0"
    If Unity's automatically closing because there's a license issue, maybe it should tell me that?

- I had to close the hub from the tray and then open it again before the license management page understood that I didn't have a license.

- The very clearly clickable text here can't be clicked:
    upload_2019-10-2_9-23-36.png
    The No Licence page also takes up so much white space that I had to scroll up to find the buttons I had to press.

So, the specific bugs:
    - The Unity license goes invalid from an automatic Windows Update. Don't do that. No other software does that.
    - The Hub understands that the License isn't valid anymore, but parts of the UI doesn't update properly before restarting the Hub
    - Opening a Pro project with no license fails with no error. I assumed it was crashing.
    - The no license page has bugs.

2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi Baste,

Thank you for raising this up.
    I shared the license issue with the licensing team, and I am working with my team to address the hub issues.

Best,
    Afshin

Baste likes this.
  3. Amir_AZNK

Amir_AZNK

Unity Technologies

Hi Baste,

Which version of Unity Editor are you using?

Kindly try to return license and activate a new license on your machine(or machines) and let us know if this helps you.

Best regards,
    Amir

4. Baste

Baste

I got it working before I made the first post. This wasn't a "I need help" post, it was a "your product is broken, you need to fix it" post.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.