Search Unity

Windows Update just BROKE MY UNITY LICENSE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N1warhead, May 19, 2018.

1. Player7

Player7

Yeh after Mozilla Quantum failure of firefox, all browsers are pretty much baseline rubbish now. They've destroyed and made it impossible for developers to redo what was far superior power browsing addons for the firefox browser, and now you're just left with chrome clones and the chrome crap store of generally gimped addons that can only do so much as they can't improve much at all like fixing the awful chrome interface and ux with better features.. its all just general bleh going forwards..

Software designed for the lowest base common idiot dominator, with poorly documented and tested auto updates included.

They seem to be a serving a critical role in taking operation of your machine for themselves and other affiliated invested interests..all the while screwing up and pissing off more people, F*** em all to hell and the idiots who's supposed good intentions and approval lead it all down this S***ty path.

chingwa likes this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I can't deny there is some truth to this, but a lot of the blame goes to individual people and even organizations that would routinely ignore critical updates when given the choice, and then when something exploits a vulnerability across a wide number of computers where the fix has already been available for months, Microsoft still takes the brunt of the blame undeservedly. So I'm not surprised they decided to simply take the choice away.

The silver lining is this drastically reduces software testing requirements before releasing your game or any software, as you only really need to test against the latest version of Windows 10. Previously you'd want to test against all different service pack levels of the same version of Windows to be thorough.

3. Raestream_G

Raestream_G

Yeah, I got the infinite boot loop problem as well, after this latest update. Could not figure out a way to get out of it - rollback and reset didn't appear to work. In fact, nothing appeared to work, so I had to do a complete reinstall. Complete PTA, but well, that's Windows ain't it. *shrug*

(And yeah, I know, Linux etc. - unfortunately a lot of the software I need to use is Windows only, so I'm kinda stuck with it.)

I get why Microsoft see it as necessary to force updates - remember, they also cater a lot to the not-very-computer-literate crowd, who'll think nothing of opening an email telling them that they need to update their facebook login details, and clicking on the supplied link before realising, 'Hey, uh, I don't even have a facebook.' But I can't understand why Microsoft simply can't split the difference - make relatively unintrusive security updates mandatory, but keep the large feature upgrades voluntary. Unless those feature upgrades also come with a juicy bundle of spyware, of course - but Microsoft would never be so saucy, right? ;)

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  4. verybinary

verybinary

Its not spyware when they claim its only for advertising purposes.
    Like that's any better.
    Its not like anyone cares about buying a license to use software so their info can be sold on the side, and not seeing a dime...

5. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

For what it's worth, I recently started a new job and when reading my insurance info they said that's what they do too. They use ones information to target them with ads. You can opt out of them sharing it with their affiliates, but not out of them using it themselves. So it's not just regular software doing this kind of thing.

6. verybinary

verybinary

I can draw a line at a small business making some money to secure a bottom line. google, microsoft, facebook etc, are way past bottom line. Its not even the fact that info is harvested, but how much. fb knowing what you were talking to your friend about during a phone call is way too much. Habits pertaining to activity on the platform they "should" have jurisdiction over is fine. but what I see is corps blatantly overstepping their bounds with no oversight, like ms feeling like they own my computer and can update/crash it whenever, or google using mobile data to update apps when I have specifically stated no automatic updates. it puts a sour taste taste in my mouth that is growing way too broad every day.