Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Windows]Unity 5.4.1p4 blank screen on startup

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by siliwangi, Oct 5, 2016.

1. siliwangi

siliwangi

The first time i have experienced this, i thought that it was because of my existing old node js x86 installation that was installed by visual studio 2015 update 3 but after removing node js installation from my environment path, the issue still persist!.

Here what i have tried :
    • Updating my node js installation to current version v6.7.0 and keep it on my env path, uninstalling & reinstalling unity and the result is the same
    • Uninstalling node js v6.7.0, and installing node js LTS version 4.6.0, uninstalling & reinstalling unity and the result is the same.
    • Removing node js installation from env path, uninstalling & reinstalling unity and the result is the same
    • Each steps before uninstalling and re-installing unity, i have cleared out the appdata/local/unity and appdata/roaming/unity

The current 'work around' by Yash is at-least working, how about unity made it automatic if on startup node js failed to install the unity's node modules automatically just create the required folder and extract it automatically to respected folders?.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. siliwangi

siliwangi

Found out another workaround to these problems with 'proper' way to install unity-editor npm modules :

1. Edit your C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Resources\Packages\package.json with the following content :
    2. Open CMD Command prompt as administrator and type
    1. cd C:\Users\Your_Username_Here\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Packages
    2. C:\Progra~1\Unity\Editor\Data\Tools\nodejs\npm.cmd install C:\Progra~1\Unity\Editor\Data\Resources\Packages
    Check using command prompt inside node_modules folder if the node module has properly installed.

Example 'proper' install directories structure :
    And yet unity still trying to installing unity-editor node modules once every start of unity :
    Perhaps unity needs to add additional check if the unity-editor has properly installed even-tough it has failed once.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  3. siliwangi

siliwangi

Reported as case #838781