Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows standalone displays popup on start: "Search for app in the Store?"

Discussion in 'Windows' started by MattijsKneppers, Jul 1, 2019.

1. MattijsKneppers

MattijsKneppers

I'm posting this here for the archives:

I ran into an issue where on a specific machine, one of our apps built with Cloud build, would systematically display the attached error popup on launch:

It appeared that this did not happen if the same source code was built locally on the machine.

The next thing I found out was that when zipping this local build, uploading (for instance to google drive) and immediately downloading it (the same file), then the problem started occurring.

After a lot of trial and error, including starting from a clean project and gradually adding all assets of our project, I found out that the difference was in the ProjectSettings.asset file, specifically in the lines specifying the app icon.

So, for app downloaded from the internet
    With icon: popup
    Without icon: no popup.

Additionally, note that when using unity version 2019.1.8f1 or higher, this popup always occurs for apps downloaded from the internet, even with a completely clean project.

Hope that helps somebody.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you share your build settings? Do you use "Generate Visual Studio solution" checkbox? Which scripting backend are you on?

3. MattijsKneppers

MattijsKneppers

I don't use Create Visual Studio Solution. I'm on Mono Scripting backend.

I attached the folder with all settings assets.

Attached Files:

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That is super weird! I cannot reproduce this on my end.

Do you upload the file to Google Drive in a .zip file, or just a loose file layout? How do you extract the archive (which software do you use)? Which browser do you use to download the .zip file? Do you have any antivirus software installed that might mess with downloaded files?

Did you try checking if the downloaded file hash matches what is outputted from Unity?

5. JeffSSVR

JeffSSVR

I am having this same issue. Using 2019.1.7f1. We have deployed to a number of windows machiens and it seems to only happen on some. Whether I click Yes or No it does not take me to the store and runs the software seemingly successfully. I zip using 7zip and unzip using windows extraction. We also upload it to Google Drive and download prior to installation. I have tried it both in and out of program files folder thinking it was a permissions thing. I was getting a directx issue I thought was causing it in the player.log but fixing that didn't help either.

6. JeffSSVR

JeffSSVR

I just reconfirmed that if I move the file over with a usb flash drive I do not get the pop-up but if I upload it to GDrive and then download it on the other computer I do get the message. I did a CertUtil -hashfile MD5 on it on both ends with the same result. Very strange. I have not yet attempted to remove the icon to see what happens. Our project is rather large so troubleshooting takes time.