Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Windows Phone] Props flickering when the game is far from the origin

Discussion in 'Windows' started by sentendo, Nov 28, 2014.

1. sentendo

sentendo

Hi all,
    I am experiencing serious issues when the game is far from the origin (0,0,0) of Unity3D.
    I am working at an endless runner and the track builds dinamically in the "z". The car I have moves mostly on the "z" axis and when I am more than 600 unities far from the 0 I see some prop which funds with some other one, and stuff like that. The problem is getting more worrysome when I am at more than 5000.
    Can I do anything to solve that?

2. sentendo

sentendo

any hint about that?

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Is this a windows phone specific problem? i.e. generally once the coordinates go into "thousands" range, you'll start seeing problems across the board (physics, collision, rendering etc.) due to limited floating point precision. So I guess the same happens in the editor too?

Otherwise, usual tricks apply. For Z buffer precision, increase camera's near plane as high as possible.

For "large coordinates" problem, some people solve that by "shifting" whole world towards the origin once the coordinates go past some range.

4. sentendo

sentendo

I have the same problem in the Editor, not only Windows Phone.
    And the problem starts at 600 far from z, more or less.

5. sentendo

sentendo

so, playing with near and far plane I partly solved the problem.
    Now the problem is that when I am almost 10k far from the 0 some geometry starts to disappear. I don't know if could be a memory issue.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

As Aras mentioned, this is a floating-point precision issue. Floats get pretty inaccurate once you go into thousands.